1.    #1  
    The quote below is from PDAFrance, a well informed french PDA site. It's saying that Orange will launch the 600 in October, and then the rest is about the Handspring development tools for the 600.

"Le dernier Smartphone de chez Handspring, le Treo 600, sera lançé en exclusivité chez Orange au mois d'octobre. Handspring vient d'annoncer qu'ils est en mesure de fournir aux développeurs des solutions de développement pour le Treo 600. Voici le communiqué de presse relatif à cette annonce :"

Also of interest, the invitation for Treo 600 developers to register on the French
    Orange developers site. There's a global Orange development site (in English!) as well but it doesn't mention the Treo at all (the M$ SPV is all over it though...)
    Last edited by Mol; 08/26/2003 at 05:32 PM.
    Well, this is interesting. I think I have read and/or heard that HS will release the CDMA version first, and THEN the GSM version. Anyone know does this mean we will see the Sprint version late Sept/Early Oct?
    Carl
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    I think I have read and/or heard that HS will release the CDMA version first, and THEN the GSM version.
    In the April(?) earnings call, HS said that the GSM version would be released first...late Q3 or early Q4...closely followed by the CDMA version. I think they also said that the 600 would only become available in large numbers in late Q4. There has been a lot of discussion since then on this board about which version would be released when, but I don't know how much of it is actually based on HS announcements, or whether it is just speculation based on rumor.
    i know i read some previews...and they said that the cdma version will come out a month before teh gsm version.....
  5.    #5  
    It may well be that those previews were referring to the US market. If HS have any understanding of the European market then they realize the 600 can make a big splash here if only they support Orange as much as they can. Orange is known for its top quality marketing and surely they will want the Treo to be known here well in advance of the holiday season so that people can put it on their wish lists.

The simple fact that new 270s are still sold for 600 euro and second hands go for over 400 euro on ebay shows that the demand exists. With the muscle of Orange the new Treo could turn into a hit but again, that means HS does have to dance the tune that Orange dictates to them.
    Also, if you have had a careful eye you would have noticed that all of Handspring's GSM units are Orange branded. From what I understand we will see first an Orange GSM Launch in europe, closely followed by a Sprint CDMA launch in the US. By the end of the year all major US GSM carriers will have the Treo 600, but only sprint and orange are launch partners.

Handspring has now consistantly said (to us) an October launch.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu

Handspring has now consistantly said (to us) an October launch.
    Interestingly, there was a report a while ago on PDAbuzz that Verizon was planning on releasing the Treo600 in Ocotober as well!

http://forums.pdabuzz.net/showthread...threadid=47392

If true, I wonder when Sprint when will release this phone since they are expected to have release it first...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    > ...The simple fact that new 270s are still sold for 600 euro and
    > second hands go for over 400 euro on ebay shows that the
    > demand exists....

This is SUCH an incorrect statement that it needs noting.

Handspring management itself said sales in Europe were yucky. Listen to the last earnings conference call for yourself (multiple instances of links to it are somewhere on TreoCentral).

There is not (and never has been) any demand for the TREO models in Europe, Asia, nor anywhere else. Pure unarguable fact.

Handspring and Palm and some TreoCentral posters hope that there will be demand for the NEXT TREO model.

But history is unambiguously locked-in about historical models.
    "There is not (and never has been) any demand for the TREO models in Europe, Asia, nor anywhere else. Pure unarguable fact."

What history has told us about Treo sales is that there are substantial benefits from creating tier one marketing relationships.

1) Service Provider subsidizes price.
    1) Service Provider co brands phone.
    3) Hand custom progams phone to set up easier and operate easier on that network.
    4) Service provider makes large initial purchase and then is motivated to move their inventory.
    5) Treo brings service provider high end customers willing to sign long term agreements.

Until now, Hand operated with only one such relationship and Sprint accounted for a disproportionate amount of business for hand. That is why Hand changed its entire marketing strategy. Now they have such a similar relationship in Europe with Orange.

History which details extremely high prices in Europe and bad marketing support, will not be relevant concerning strong support by Orange in Europe, an advertising umbrella and the benefit of co branding as well. Concerning Asia, the Treo has sold much better in Asia than it sold in Europe so I think that statement is inaccurate.

Your last post was such an incorrect statement that it needed noting.
    Strange.

For a post you say was incorrect you sure did AGREE with it entirely!

Ha ha ha!
  11.    #11  
    I could have written rvwink's reply myself. Totally agree.

SeldomVisitor, I think wasn't clear on what I meant with "demand". The 270 was overpriced but even worse most people here haven't even heard of it. Yet lots of business people that I meet with show great interest in my 270 and when you ask them to describe the things that they would like to add to their current they usually say something like "Contacts & Calendar synchronized with my Outlook and access to my email".

Overpriced, no partnerships with operators, poor marketing, pathetic support (a little better lately), you name it. HS made about every mistake they could have made in their attempt to cross the Big Pond. They can only blame it on themselves, not on a lack of demand for devices such as the Treo.
    > ...["demand" <> "demand"]...

If that is what was meant by the part I quoted in my initial response then I have no problems with the thought that the TREO models, every one of them, is in demand!

Here, Europe, AND Asia!
  13. purpleX
    Anybody ever consider that..maybe.....juuuust maybe, that treo is somewhat difficult to adapt to foreign language due to it's keyboard?
  14.    #14  
    Actually, that's one of the few things HS did look at. The 270 is available with a French AZERTY as well as a German keyboard layout.

Don't know though how they could possibly do something for Hebrew, Arabic etc. The japanese already have plenty of experience with Bullet Trains, so maybe JakeE can help them out ;-)