Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Got my hands on a evaluation unit Treo600 ... having read all the posts here ... hands trembling .... turned it on .... Wow ....really bright ... had to push the brightness down (default is max) ....

Took it outdoors (for field testing) .... and ......

Can't see a bloody thing on the screen ... even after pushing brightness up to max again ..... maybe a fluke this set? Anyone have the same experience?

Keyboard a tad-bit small for my stubby fingers. Mind you, my previous set was a BlackBerry, and the BlackBerry feels more comfortable typing a longish email. Maybe time will improve my typing skills on the Treo600 ...

Weight-wise, its definitely heavier than the BlackBerry ... and I'd be more concern if I were to drop the Treo600 as compared to the BlackBerry ....

Someone asked a question regarding SMS in a separate thread ... well the default SMS Inbox app pops up the SMS message regardless of what application you're running (e.g. I was browsing the web, when my wife sent me a SMS, and it interrupted the browsing). Not too good to lend the Treo600 out to people to view (and they will ask, seeing it as a new toy in the market) ... if you tend to receive messages that you don't want others to read

RingTone Wise, sounds abit like the Samsungs Ring-Ding-Echo-y.

So verdict? Not bad as a convergence device ... if you carry a phone and a palm, this is definitely a good combined device ... size is right in one hand (single hand usage), and you get loads of Palm OS apps. And Size is everything ... cos if it takes a 2nd thought to carry one, chances are you'll leave it behind (like my Psion 5MX) ... However, I'm missing my always-on BlackBerry pushed Emails, and online calendar (the apps are very well integrated on the BlackBerry). If they can put a BlackBerry Client on this Treo600, it would be the best of both-worlds.

Next test .... SDIO with one of those WLAN thingies ...
    Thanks for the info. Any more you can share here would be very much appreciated. Info from Handspring is pretty sparse.

I might be wrong but I believe all of the phone devices that blackberry software currently runs on are quite a bit bigger than the 600. And, there are no blackberry devices that work with Sprint.
    I can't believe we have someone posting here who's got a 600 in their hand and no one's asking a million questions!

You mentioned getting cut off while on the Internet: how was the connection? What browser did you use? Was it easy to connect? Does the fact that you have one indicate we're closer to release than we think?

When you can view the screen indoors, how is the clarity? Would it be easy to view a good picture on it? Did you attempt to play any movies or MP3's? I know that involves third-party software.

Did you notice a capacity limit for associating pictures with contacts (the 50 person limit as described by some.)

Did you try any third-party windows apps for compatibility? Did you try to play any games on it? How did they look? How do the calls sound? HOW DOES THE SPEAKERPHONE SOUND!?

How washed out does that screen look outdoors? If you had adjusted the settings would it have looked any better? Do you think Palm is planning any screen mods to help the situation before release? How did you like the gray case? Does it fit in you pocket well? Did you take a picture, how'd it look?

Please expand on your first post when you can!
    Originally posted by BleedingEdge

Someone asked a question regarding SMS in a separate thread ... well the default SMS Inbox app pops up the SMS message regardless of what application you're running (e.g. I was browsing the web, when my wife sent me a SMS, and it interrupted the browsing). Not too good to lend the Treo600 out to people to view (and they will ask, seeing it as a new toy in the market) ... if you tend to receive messages that you don't want others to read
    Thank you! That was me. I was really hoping they would fix this in the 600. Ah well.
    Originally posted by netfreedom
    You mentioned getting cut off while on the Internet:
    I beleive he wasn't cut off but that a message popped up informing him about the incoming SMS while browsing. I can't imaging that an incoming SMS can disconnect you from anything...

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Originally posted by Alli

Thank you! That was me. I was really hoping they would fix this in the 600. Ah well.
    Evidently no one thinks this is broken. I tend to like my message popping up.....
    Carl
    BleedingEdge,

Great teaser. Did you use CDMA or GSM? The most pressing question I have is how the browser performs with a real-life connection. Is Blazer 3 much faster than Xiino?

Hope to hear from you again soon, and often.
    Can you try playing with the CONTRAST outdoors (not brightness)? Contrast should make more difference than brightness in sunlight.
    From your post, I'm assuming that this is your first Treo device. If not, how does this compare to the other Treos?

What features (keyboard, pda functionality, sms, camera, etc..) do you like the most? Don't like?

I have a million questions, but I thought I'd just limit it to those for now

btw, thanks for posting about your experience and we all await your reponse
  10. purpleX
    Originally posted by BleedingEdge

Next test .... SDIO with one of those WLAN thingies ...
    where did you get that 'thingie'?
    no screen in sunlight=no 600. why is there no monochrome considerations to solve this problem? my friends color ipaq you can see in the sun fine. whats the big deal here handspring? it seems they still can't get it right. still just a gadget!
  12. purpleX
    strangely from all review/preview/spec list, nobody ever figures out if it is transreflective, reflective, semi-trans or whatever else... (transmissive? eeeck!)

all we know is CSTN, which really doesn't tell us the lighting system for the screen.

It would be utterly hilarious if it turns out to be transmissive! only a 2 generations leap backward in screen technology! No wonder HS treo600 conference picture is always super dark meeting hall.
  13.    #13  
    Phew ... so many questions ... I'd answer as best as I can ... time permiting.

Originally posted by netfreedom
    I can't believe we have someone posting here who's got a 600 in their hand and no one's asking a million questions!

You mentioned getting cut off while on the Internet: how was the connection? What browser did you use? Was it easy to connect? Does the fact that you have one indicate we're closer to release than we think?
    Connection was great. I'm using the GSM/GPRS version and the default stock browser. 1st GPRS connection was about 5 to 8 seconds. Subsequently, you're always connected, and each query was almost instant. I'm using a evaluation unit (meant for Telcos field testing), so I believe this is almost close to the real deal.

When you can view the screen indoors, how is the clarity? Would it be easy to view a good picture on it? Did you attempt to play any movies or MP3's? I know that involves third-party software.
    Once you got the brightness down to acceptable (at least to me, max is almost blinding in a room), the default apps looks the same to me (I've got Handerra 330, Vx, a Treo180, Treo270, Tungsten T, Tungsten W, etc). Haven't managed to put any other 3rd party stuff on it other than Avantgo OS5.0 version on it ... fonts are screwed up though ... very very small ...

Did you notice a capacity limit for associating pictures with contacts (the 50 person limit as described by some.)

Did you try any third-party windows apps for compatibility? Did you try to play any games on it? How did they look? How do the calls sound? HOW DOES THE SPEAKERPHONE SOUND!?
    Don't have time to test out any other 3rd party (other than Avantgo so far, cos I use it quite often). In the CD that came with the Treo600 was a couple of 3rd party apps, a game called Zap, and 3 other Splashxx apps.

Speakerphone was ok in a quiet room, although my wife said I sound 'echo-y' when I tried it with her (must be my room ambience, but she does have that experience on my Nokia 9210 communicator speaker phone) ...

How washed out does that screen look outdoors? If you had adjusted the settings would it have looked any better? Do you think Palm is planning any screen mods to help the situation before release? How did you like the gray case? Does it fit in you pocket well? Did you take a picture, how'd it look?
    Outdoors, it was very difficult to make out the screen ... it was a complete 'black' blur of nothing ... I'd try adjusting the contrast tomorrow afternoon to see how ... The gray metallic case feels solid, not like the Tungsten W I was using (whose metallic paint is chipping off, showing the plastic beneath).

Camera wise ... I'm not too impressed. Doesn't have alot of settings other than small/large resolutions ... and the 'auto-exposure' sucks, especially in dark situations. The Nokia 7650s at least have a night mode, where the programming logic tries to help out with the poor lighting ... Verdict: I've seen better phone/camera combos ... and the Treo600 isn't in my top list for that functionality.

You guys should see the quality of pictures taken from the XDA2 ???
    ...voice recorder?
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by robertruelan
    From your post, I'm assuming that this is your first Treo device. If not, how does this compare to the other Treos?

What features (keyboard, pda functionality, sms, camera, etc..) do you like the most? Don't like?

I have a million questions, but I thought I'd just limit it to those for now

btw, thanks for posting about your experience and we all await your reponse
    Nope, not my first treo. The keyboard on this Treo600 is defintely much smaller than the others ... Time will tell whether I will get used to this smaller footprint ... I've been making mistakes so far.

What do I really like? Its not as plasticky as the others. You get Palm OS apps to go with it (although I must admit I'm not a power user, just a regular PDA user, using Calendar, Todos,etc).

Don't likes: SMS Poping up messages. I'd rather it pop-ups an alert that I've got a message, and I'd go to SMS-Inbox to read it ... instead of just shooting out the message. Will probably update more dislikes after a couple more days playing ....
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by purpleX

where did you get that 'thingie'?
    Thought SDIO WiFi devices are available already?
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by mjorange
    ...voice recorder?
    Didn't see a voice recorder app as part of the default stock apps. May need to download a 3rd party version ... Haven't read the manual yet (maybe a hidden function in some app???) ... No special buttons on the side to activate the voice recorder if you're looking for that too ...
    BleedingEdge:

You said you are using a unit that's meant for TELCO field testing and that you took it outdoors for field testing. Would you PLEASE tell us which TELCO you are testing it for?!
    In no way demeaning the technical prowess and keen usability insights provided by the esteemed Mr. Edge, I would like some data on what he has found about WHEN we might see the device for ourselves? Just like cars, women, and computer operating systems, its all a matter of personal taste.
    Doug
    BleedingEdge,
    If possible, could you take some pics of the Treo 600 that you're testing and post em up here for our greedy little eyes to take a gander at?
    I just need alittle something to quench my thirst until it's official release.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast