Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Took a couple of snaps when the sunlight was shinning. Placed another PDA next to the Treo600 for comparison (it was a friend's XDA). I took all pictures without flash, and some at different angles to see if I can still manage to get clarity on the Treo600. Treo600 was set at maximum brightness, and no amount of contrast changes helps with the clarity.

Much appreciated thanks goes to stephman for helping to host the pictures.

http://www.stephman.com/treo600/

First 5 pictures shows the Treo600's 'black-blur-of-nothing'. If you examine closely, you'll notice that the Treo600 is indeed turned on (some letterings are still readable). The worst picture was when I took it directly above (picture where the PDAs are vertical). Here you can't see a thing on the Treo600.

Then it turned cloudy (2nd last picture), and the Treo600 managed to oomph some legibility out ... at an angle.

The last picture was taken indoors ... showing how bright Treo600 is as compared to the XDA ...
  2. purpleX
    Just a note:

XDA uses reflective, similar to the first generation iPAQ. It is readable outdoor, but at the cost of having milky/washout color all around. It is also generally very dim compared to new generation transreflective.

from the picture treo clearly uses transreflective. (tho it look very blue to me)

Please also note the size.
    The so called "unwiledy giant", "clunky brick", "Gozilla only Microsoft" can come up with, are about 15-20% larger. The XDA II will roughly be about the same size.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    Just a note:

XDA uses reflective, similar to the first generation iPAQ. It is readable outdoor, but at the cost of having milky/washout color all around. It is also generally very dim compared to new generation transreflective.

from the picture treo clearly uses transreflective. (tho it look very blue to me)
    Well according to those pics it would make sense that the screen is transflective. It's brighter indoors than the reflective xda and less viewable outdoors than the xda which would make sense. I wish we could see a of pic of the transflective screen on the Treo600 compared to transflective screens on the T2 or Zire 71 for example. IMO, the Treo600 screen doesn't seem as good as other devices...

Btw ska... even 15-20% is a huge differrence in size for a gadget like a smartphone. I would like a to see a pic comparing the size of the Treo600 to the SPV/SPV2 etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4. purpleX
    I think the magic number is 2 inches. Once a handheld pases that it sort of entering the limbo land of not exactly a phone but not big enough to fit all PDA feature.

It has something to do with the way you move your thumb while holding the phone, beyond 2 inches people with little hand start to feel the handheld is too big, because their thumb won't reach opposite edges easily.

Also it is worth noting XDA will never be a mainstream phone, so that's why at least Microsoft has the descency to give it all the PDA feature it can muster. It practically has everything short of CF slot and WiFi. XDA original sales proves that it is not a mainstream phone.

MS smartphone however, is something interesting to watch, IMO it just need one of those advance Japanese QVGA screen and more software titles, and blamo... It'll be a barn burner.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    MS smartphone however, is something interesting to watch, IMO it just need one of those advance Japanese QVGA screen and more software titles, and blamo... It'll be a barn burner.
    I've been using a SPV for the past three months, and you're assessment isn't as simple as you make it sound. The MS Smartphone needs much more for widespread excitement for the masses:

*A fast processor...the SPV is very slow in daily tasks as a phone...too slow. Either increase the processor speed, or get rid of the overkill in the OS. I know this sounds like stereotypical Palm rhetoric against the Pocket PC/Smartphone, but the Smartphone makes those stereotypes reality.

*How about US availability...that would help. I bought mine off of eBay via the UK, but no US providers have commited to the Smartphone as of yet. There's talk of AT&T and Verizon, but nothing solid.

The MS Smartphone sounds great on paper...until you use one for an extended period. Sure, at first glance it looks so cool. The great syncronization with Outlook, Pocket Internet Explorer, Windows Media...but if it takes 2-3 minutes to open apps or get something done, it won't work after a few days. The RF isn't great, either, to be honest. There are many problems with current MS Smartphones; and this is coming from a Palm/Pocket PC/Smartphone neutral guy.

The Treo 600 may not have all the features we geeks would like to see, but it should perform much more effeciently as a phone.

Myself, I've gone back to using a HP 1945 with a SE t610. But I can't wait for the GSM Treo 600 to hit the market...I'll probably buy.
  6. purpleX
    SPV is using smartphone 2k2, which was tweaked a little in SPVE100. smartphone 2k3 are based on different kernel, tho' it is late. We'll have to see if SPV2 is improved or not. But from what I read SPVE100 does have improved speed and stability. I guess that would explain why Microsoft is shy when it comes US introduction. I haven't heard a peep about US providers either.

but what makes it a killer beside the form factor is the subsidized priced. It's could quickly reach sub $300 as Orange has done. The mio 8390 and ASU AGP600 sound very compelling to me if it is under $300.
    I don't know about anyone else, but the screen looked perfectly readable to me in the first shot. I own a treo 300 and as long as I angle it properly I can see it well enough for my needs. I am very much looking foward to the treo 600 and will be purchasing the cdma version as soon as I can. And PurpleX-can't you ever agree with someone once? Ever? Also, my only problem with my treo is its sixe, and I can't imagine using a smartphone that is even larger than it.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    but what makes it a killer beside the form factor is the subsidized priced. It's could quickly reach sub $300 as Orange has done. The mio 8390 and ASU AGP600 sound very compelling to me if it is under $300.
    What makes you think the price of the Treo600 won't be subsidized as well? An unlocked SPV still costs about $500 bucks these days. If I had to guess I would imagine the cdma Treo600 will be priced $500-600 USD upon intial release. Even at this high price the phones probably still be gobbled up by those who're willing to pay the early adopter tax. In about a month or so, I think we should begin to see the prices drop as carriers begin to subsidize the phone...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I was at Handspring on Wed. and held another 600 in the sun that an employee had. It was much, much better in the sun than these photos show.
    The device pictured may be an early version, as Bleeding Edge speculated early on. Either that, or every Handspring employee has a better version than will be released to us consumers.
    I doubt that but who knows.
  10. purpleX
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

What makes you think the price of the Treo600 won't be subsidized as well? An unlocked SPV still costs about $500 bucks these days. If I had to guess I would imagine the cdma Treo600 will be priced $500-600 USD upon intial release. Even at this high price the phones probably still be gobbled up by those who're willing to pay the early adopter tax. In about a month or so, I think we should begin to see the prices drop as carriers begin to subsidize the phone...
    the treo 270 and 300 didn't go down until well into 3 months or so. It's the price curve shape, not if the curve will happen at all or not.

another interesting point. If SPV, which has similar basic spec as treo but uses standard screen and made by HTC, the biggest handheld manufacturer in the world instead of by Solectron, costs $550, do you think treo will cost a lot less? This I have to see.

And don't forget V700 starts at $400 before going down the curve, while SPV2 and friends will enter with better spec.
    Those photos are not very encouraging. Granted that camera shots seldom show up as well as real life, but those photos look pretty much like my Treo 270 in direct sunlight. Although if I angle my 270 just right, I get what amounts to a black & white display that is pretty readable.

I've found that with the Treo 270, the color is pretty worthless in direct sunlight. It doesn't turn as dark as the photos show, but it's like black lettering on a medium grey background (which is kind of hard to read).

I can only hope that when I get to hold a Treo 600 in the sunlight that it will be legible enough for my needs.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Looks to me like the t600 is good enough to use in the sun. I can't read my 270 at all sometimes - so if I can at least make a phone call It'll be an improvement.

Looks like it's not the joy to use in the sun that something like the tungsten is - but that would be luxury!
    The angle of the screen might make a difference.

For example, the LCD on my digital camera looks completely washed out when you look directly at it in the sun. However, if you hold the camera facing straight out so that your looking down on the LCD at an angle, it's much easier to see.
    its obvious the screen in sunlight is a deal buster for many. what good is the unit if you can't make out the screen. I find it hard to believe that handspring hasn't addressed this on the new treo 600. how stupid would that be?
    Last edited by HAPPY$BOBBY$; 09/02/2003 at 03:26 PM.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    who the hell is purple x? are you sure you have the right user name. this is treocentral, check out the martha stewart board.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 08/31/2003 at 12:36 AM.
    Hmmm... did no one else read Stickman's comment above? He said he was with a Hamspring employee the other day, outside, in the sunlight, and the screen of the employees 600 looked _much_ better than the pictures.

It sure seems like Bleeding Edge may have had an earlier prototype version... maybe witn the same screen as the 270/300's.
    PurpleX's only reason for being here is to put the Treo 600 down and voice his M$ propaganda for a bunch of Palm OS fans.

I am a Symbian (EPOC) OS fan myself, but I am here with the purpose of learning more about the Treo 600 because I am actually considering it as my future phone/PDA.

And in the rare case that anyone actually listens to purpleX's constant cr@p about how good PPC is and what an excellent product the SPV and the likes are, I just thought I'd give a link to a Symbian user's perspective on the SPV as well as a detailed comparison table comparing the SPV and XDA to two Symbian phones.

There IS a reason why Symbian phones are selling in millions and M$ 'smart'phones are selling in thousands only. And no, it's not just because of the "Nokia" or "S/o/n/y" name, but the keyword here I believe is usability. And don't give me any of that BS about the SPV being able to play DivX and other gimmicky features through 3'rd party software. Those fancy apps are useless when the basic features don't function properly!
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Wow, I'm quite disappointed by those pics as well. I figures the res might look ok because the screen is smaller, guess not. I hate the fact that the screen washes out on my 270. I was trying to check football scores yesterday while at a college football game and it was damn near impossible to read the screen. For the first time, I'm thinking I may have to see one of these things before I buy. Either that or make sure I can return it.

Joe

P.S. Thanks for the pics, btw.
    Originally posted by jaytee
    Hmmm... did no one else read Stickman's comment above? He said he was with a Hamspring employee the other day, outside, in the sunlight, and the screen of the employees 600 looked _much_ better than the pictures.

It sure seems like Bleeding Edge may have had an earlier prototype version... maybe witn the same screen as the 270/300's.
    I read it and I am comforted by it.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast