Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Originally posted by BleedingEdge
    You guys should see the quality of pictures taken from the XDA2 ???
    I know this is the wrong forum for this, but are you saying that you've used the XDA2, as well?!

So just how good are the pics using that device? Have you (or are you) tested this phone in the US?
    How does the 1 hand operation work? is it intutive? Also, how are sounds? How big is the ram?
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Was the washed out screen outdoors in the sunlight as bad as the old Visor Prism? That screen just went black and to me if the Treo 600 is that bad, it's a deal buster for use by mobile workers in the field like myself. I need to be able to "SEE" the information on my device.

Is that too much to ask?!

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    from what i can tell, all they've done with the screen is make it a brighter and thus a bigger drag on the battery. no way do i order one of these gadgets until i take outside in the sunlight. what good is this gadget if i can't see it. it's useless when i often need it the most. bring back monochrome. what a waste of wait.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 08/26/2003 at 07:50 PM.
    uhhhhhg.

The first couple of reports stated that it was more readable in sunlight. i hope these first reports are more correct than the latest ones.

If not, is palm coming out with a new T|C with bluetooth support?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  6. purpleX
    my speculation:

First of all there are only two type of screen that is absolutely readable outdoor, reflective and semi-transreflective.

There is no way Handspring can afford putting their dinky phone with advance semi transreflective, this screen is very much exotic. It could be reflective, if the report about "very bright" outdoor/indoor is true.

another screen are transreflective, depending on the 'reflective set up, this screen could actually be almost readable out door, instead of turning totally dark. But from the photos, for some reason I have my doubt anybody making such a lousy quality transreflective.

The last one is transmissive, but it would be utterly crazy putting this type of screen. NOBODY uses this for handheld.

So in the order of possibility lousy transreflective, lousy reflective, or transmissive.
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by silverado
    BleedingEdge:

You said you are using a unit that's meant for TELCO field testing and that you took it outdoors for field testing. Would you PLEASE tell us which TELCO you are testing it for?!
    "Field Testing" may be a mis-nomer on my part. I am not a technical guy. Basically, I've got a couple of good drinks/poker buddies who are in the Telco Business, and this good friend (Telco Engineer) had a spare set. Knowing that I'm a guy with a passion for new toys, he loaned it to me for my 'interests'. I've not done any technical tests on it (e.g. Radio Signalling, etc), but just the basic end-user usage scenarios.

Won't say which Telco he's from, or I might abuse his trust. I did ask him, and he says most Telco's in the world are getting their trial units now, and that the expected launch date is in Oct.
  8.    #28  
    Originally posted by stephman
    BleedingEdge,
    If possible, could you take some pics of the Treo 600 that you're testing and post em up here for our greedy little eyes to take a gander at?
    I just need alittle something to quench my thirst until it's official release.

Thanks!
    Ok ... can do. Is there a web server that can host the pics?
  9. purpleX
    Well if you are taking a picture, here is a chance to figure out what screen it uses.

take a picture enxt to known screen.

-T|T reflective
    -T|T2/Z71 transreflective
    -Prism transmissive

----

PS. There is no such thing as SD WLAN, until early next month for PPC, and Sansdisk says they won't finish making OS 5.0 driver until later in the year.
  10.    #30  
    Originally posted by BNelson

I know this is the wrong forum for this, but are you saying that you've used the XDA2, as well?!

So just how good are the pics using that device? Have you (or are you) tested this phone in the US?
    In the last poker session, another buddy of mine showed the set he got from Taiwan (which is basically the XDA2), and the camera app showed sharper images than the Treo600 with more functions (e.g special effects, etc). At first I thought it was the limited color screen of the Treo600 was the issue, but when I downloaded the pics taken, it still looks quite bad on the PC. Haven't got a chance to play with the XDA2 yet though, and this isn't the forum to discuss the virtues of it

Don't kill the messenger. I'm just relating my first impressions/experience with the Treo600.
  11.    #31  
    Originally posted by mwylde
    How does the 1 hand operation work? is it intutive? Also, how are sounds? How big is the ram?
    1 hand operation requires you to put your thumb on the directional pad in the center of the phone ... moving it up/down/left/right ... and pressing the center button to choose. The apps have been mod'ed to display an additional 'focus' graphic, to show which field you're currently going to work on. The 'numeric' pad too has an additional 'raised' pin-point marker on the number 5 ... so you can do a quick dial using that raised point as a marker. Is it intuitive? Well, all I can say is that it will take some using before I become comfortable (old habits), but that's me. Kind'a miss the Clie's Jog Dial Style ...

Memory is 32 Megs.
  12. purpleX
    hmm, a very interesting infromation, I guess XDA2 will be the first PPC PE 2k3.

So what else do you know? have you seen WANDA yet? how about the rumored HP h4000? There is rumor posted several month back in a Sprint exec blogger about it.

if you know about those two model, you'll be an instant celeb in PPC scene. But HP lawyers tend to be in the nasty side tho'

picture please.
  13.    #33  
    Originally posted by purpleX
    hmm, a very interesting infromation, I guess XDA2 will be the first PPC PE 2k3.

So what else do you know? have you seen WANDA yet? how about the rumored HP h4000? There is rumor posted several month back in a Sprint exec blogger about it.

if you know about those two model, you'll be an instant celeb in PPC scene. But HP lawyers tend to be in the nasty side tho'

picture please.
    Lawyers ... ouch ... Hopefully, none will come my way for my impressions on the Treo600 ...

Wanda is still vapour-ware in my circles. As soon as it gets brighter, I'd try to take a couple of pictures ... as they say, pictures worth > 1000 words ...
    Wow. What a refreshing contrast this thread's direction has taken compared to the circus that followed another member's first impressions of the Treo 600. I won't name any names but I remember it involved something about "Love at first sight."

My kudos to you BleedingEdge for your insights. Great thread. Keep the details coming!

-THP
    Originally posted by Nautilus Man
    Was the washed out screen outdoors in the sunlight as bad as the old Visor Prism? That screen just went black and to me if the Treo 600 is that bad, it's a deal buster for use by mobile workers in the field like myself. I need to be able to "SEE" the information on my device.

Is that too much to ask?!

-THP
    I gotta agree with Nautilus Man here. The low rez sceen was one thing I willing to overlook, but if the screen is still unveiwable outdoors, then I will seriously not consider this device! ARRR!!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by BleedingEdge

Ok ... can do. Is there a web server that can host the pics?
    BleedingEdge,
    Check your PM and let me know if that's cool.
    Thanks
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

I gotta agree with Nautilus Man here. The low rez sceen was one thing I willing to overlook, but if the screen is still unveiwable outdoors, then I will seriously not consider this device! ARRR!!!
    I gotta go along there too. What's the battery life really like on the 600? Should we take the stated and divide by 2 for actual like on the 300?

The only thing worse than a great device with a couple of serious flaws is the next version of the device not fixing those issues.

...ken
    Originally posted by kschoenberg
    The only thing worse than a great device with a couple of serious flaws is the next version of the device not fixing those issues.
    Man you nailed it there!

-THP
    Originally posted by Nautilus Man
    Wow. What a refreshing contrast this thread's direction has taken compared to the circus that followed another member's first impressions of the Treo 600. I won't name any names but I remember it involved something about "Love at first sight."

My kudos to you BleedingEdge for your insights. Great thread. Keep the details coming!

-THP
    And you nailed it here!
    that's why i continue to call the treo 600 a gadget. like the 300 it does little as an intended business tool for those in the field who can not see the screen.

this is no oversight they have there reasons. i would be interested in knowing them.

when i demoed the tungsten w it was fine in the sun light. why the difference? $$$$$$?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast