1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    I tried to search the old posts but did not find much.

Voice recording is the main function I will be missing from the upcoming Treo 600.

I have read somewhere that in previous Treos the phone part was not connected to the handheld part, hence the microphone could not be controlled by software commands. In addition, the clock of the processor would not allow for real-time compression.

Can anyone confirm that the Treo 600 has the same limitations with regard to voice recording? Or this time I can hope that some developer will manage to implement some voice recording and voice dialling software in the future?

Thanks in advance
    Dave
    The restriction is not in place in the Treo 600 as far as I know. So we can hope that there's voice recorder software. Furthermore withthe new way to program a letter button to launch an application, you probably could set it so that holding "V" (or any other letter) launches and runs the voice recorder.
    It seems very likely that the Treo 600 has the capability to do voice recording, as it will have (via 3rd-party apps) the ability to play MP3s. If it has the processing power to decode MP3s, it's almost certain that it would be capable of encoding audio, perhaps even straight to MP3 or WMA or a similar format. Of course, someone will have to write the software to do it, as it won't be built-in...
    this would be a super addition to the treo repetoire. It would come in handy in so many ways.
    ex. short memos while driving and
    hearing a phone number on the
    radio regarding a specific
    business service or important
    date, etc. ( and have no time
    to type)
    are there any members on this board capable of designing this software? You'd have a customer right here!!
    the fact that there is no voice recording or voice dialing is rediculous. lets put a lousy camera in the device but no voice tools. this isn't a business tool. the treo 600 is more of a gadget. just like my 300. personally, i'm looking at the samsung 500. although it has some missing features, it seems to be a better tool for road warriors.
    Originally posted by treobk214
    this would be a super addition to the treo repetoire. It would come in handy in so many ways.
    ex. short memos while driving and
    hearing a phone number on the
    radio regarding a specific
    business service or important
    date, etc. ( and have no time
    to type)
    are there any members on this board capable of designing this software? You'd have a customer right here!!
    I'll be customer #2 in line!!!
    The ability to do voice recording on the Treo 600 would be great! There are so many handy uses for it. In fact, I would be disappointed at Handspring's oversight if the Treo 600 did NOT have this feature. Even the Motorola phone I bought 4 years ago can do simple voice recording.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Everyone has their 'must have' features -- no device has everything we want.

As a fellow road warrior, I would have to disagree with the statement that the Treo 300 is just a gadget. In business for myself, my Treo 300 has become indispensible in running it each day.

I feel the Treo 600 will help me even more ...
    I wonder if the Audacity Digital Voice Recorder will be compatable. It runs on the Tungsten T, T2, and C currently. Unfortunately, they have the audacity to ask $99.00 for the product.

http://www.audiost.com/advrpro.htm
    as a road warrior i call it a gadget because a tool it is not. the 300 is useless in the day light. as well, how can one record messages on the go, when you don't have the hands or time available to pull out the stylus or find the application to tap out the note.? it needs a recorder. it is down right dangerous to attempt a call when driving with no voice dialing. e mail is great with snapper, but again i can't read the screen if i'm outside. the fact is, the treo has a few very serious flaws. it does not suffice as an adequate business tool for someone who is moving about in the daylight. it actually is quit useless if for no other reason then the screen.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/01/2003 at 12:03 AM.