Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I unlocked my Treo 180 using a T-Mobile phone SIM card. Everthing went fine and it displayed a message that the phone has been unlocked. I went to my AT&T Wireless person to take the GO service but unfortunately, it does not detect the network. It keeps saying "Searching for network" and nothing happens. The AT&T SIM we tried was a working SIM from another phone.

Has anybody tried the AT&T service with the 180 ? Is it that the AT&T service is not comaptible with the Treo 180? The Unlock site says that I may need to install extra software for some carriers. Do we need this for AT&T?

Just to check that I have unlocked the phone, I tried the unlock code again with the AT&T Sim but it says the lock can not be removed ! Has anyone faced similar problems?

Thanks !
    Nandan
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I am a newbie here and new to the treo also. I bought one off of ebay and unlocked it via instructions I read here. I use it daily on at&t. I had to download a at&t specific gprs updater and installed it. I got that file from the handspring website. It has worked perfectly ever since. I thought I would test the waters for $100 and see if a treo would work for me. I have to say that I look forward to the day the 600 is available. My palm 505 and the treo 180 will be history and I will carry one device!

greg
  3.    #3  
    Me too 'am a newbie picked up the mobile from ebay- tessie toys and now it works on AT&T ! Thanks Greg !!
    What file ? I"m not sure where to find it. I also bought one from Tessie's Toys ! It's unlocked, but also having the Searching for Network .. message .
    I'm in the same boat as Templar. I bought my 180 on ebay, took it to the att store and after a quick insertion of a new SIM card and forever switching my account, I was up and running. It did say T-Mobile, though for the network. When I got home, I downloaded the network upgrade specific for ATT and it no longer said TM, but ATT after the network search. Been doing great since then.

I have noticed that in the Network search screen that my phone is locked, but seems to do ok and even after getting my first att bill on the "new" account, I didn't have any problems or aditional charges. Of course, it was only for the first 6 days or something...

I also love mine and use it hourly now. Can't wait for the 600 to go color!!!! I've used some type of palm since the pro days and love the OS. The Treo with the phone makes it even better.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    It seems that installing the carrier-specific GPRS upgrade locks the device to that carrier.
    If you load the international upgrade version as per the Unoffical Treocentral Instructions:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/149-1.htm

the device remains unlocked, and can be used on any GSM/GPRS carrier by replacing the SIM card.
    However, some carrier-specific functions such as voicemail notification may not work properly.
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty J
    It seems that installing the carrier-specific GPRS upgrade locks the device to that carrier.
    If you load the international upgrade version as per the Unoffical Treocentral Instructions:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/149-1.htm

the device remains unlocked, and can be used on any GSM/GPRS carrier by replacing the SIM card.
    However, some carrier-specific functions such as voicemail notification may not work properly.
    Rusty,

I just want to say that you and Marcus are GENIUSES!!!

Just wanted to post here what I posted to Marcus ( author of this article )

Marcus,

I was sent via link to your article entitled: (Still) Unofficial Guide to GPRS

and I wanted to say THANK YOU THANK YOU and yes… THANK YOU once again.

Having gone through countless hours of grief between AT&T and Handspring / PalmOne, and the actual retailer of my Treo 180 to solve the problem of unlocking my T-Mobile based phone so that I can use an AT&T Wireless sim so that I can use AT&T wireless as my service provider…. Oh… and having the unit replaced once, when this solution would have solved the problem in the first place… I really appreciate the solution in this article. I tried it and MY PHONE WORKS!
    I look forward to:

A: tell others of my success using your article instructions… and
    B: seeing what other articles you come up with regarding this unit.

THANX again

Ron V.

Rusty, I thank you and Marcus very much... MY PHONE WORKS!!

Ron V.

UPDATE 5/24/04: Well.... It sorta works ... intermittantly... i have made and received calls on the unit, but a: it keeps losing the signal, b: sim options don't work ( can't read sim module ) and c: doesn't show the local phone number .... any ideas here?

Ron V.
    Last edited by ronjie; 05/24/2004 at 05:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I tried to add the GPRS updater and for some reason I received an error message when I was trying to load it to my 180, and now it can't find a wireless provider. I read the instructions one the InstallWizard and it said it could ruin the antenna. Please tell me I can fix this.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    i successfully loaded in my 180. what was the error message? ruin your antenna - get an upgraded one for $10 on ebay.
    I am simple woman that thought(and still think) that I got a great deal on an easy to use Treo180g from Tessies Toys on Ebay..I have a sim tha is in use with my blackberry 6280 on ATT and the unlock code that was provided to me by Tigerdirect *#*#912320# does not ulock the Tmobile programming on this phone..can someone help me?
    can someone please help me unlock my treo 180? where can i get the software/program? or download it? is it possible? email me @ smhp3@yahoo.com with any info.

my customer wants this done and i dont know where to get it , do it, etc.etc

thanks in advance
    SMHP3

or if youd like you guys can call me (360) 340-7766 im on the west coast
    Last edited by SMHP3; 05/24/2004 at 02:25 PM. Reason: new info
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    shoebyerpya, i had the same thing - don't try reading your imei - i had that same problem and couldn't unlock. that's because i was reading it wrong! using dialpad do *#06# send.

SMHP3, go to tigerdirect.com
    Okay I did what was suggested and it pulled the same IMEI code from the phone and I went back to the website(tigerdirect) andthey gave me the same unlock code that didn't work. Sheesh..I am hoping that when I finally get this sortedout the phone is worth it. I purchased a TMobile Sim card(unactivated) from Ebay and I was wondering if anyone knew if I put that in and tried to unlock would that work? Thanks for the help..
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    there was another thread that said that if the unlock code is 7 characters, then add a "0" in front of it...
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I tried the *#06#, and I get this error: Operation Failed.

This is my problem:

I bought a 180G from ebay like you all, but I got an error when trying to unlock it. I got the code from the http://www.1tigerdirect.com/treo/ and put it in, but it said it was NOT unlocked! Now when I try to unlock again it does not work, and Network Search is displayed. It seems the wireless part of the Treo is disabled now!

I went on to http://www.palmone.com/us/support/treo/treo180g/ and I downloaded the Radio Reset application. I have ran it 3 times, and it does not work! I still get the Network Search when I turn on the wireless app.

I have both ATT and T-Mobile service in this area. I have put both T-mobile and ATT SIM cards in the phone, and they are not recognized. I tried the same thing WITHOUT a SIM card, and I get the same result. It is as if the Treo is not even connecting with the SIM card at all.

Any help for me? Is there any code to disable/reenable the wireless portion of the Treo? Also, I seem to have to hard reset the Treo daily. I am getting tired of reinputting and synchronizing my info. Any help?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    try the gprs 1.1.2 update - see the instructions on this site for 1.1.1. you will need to use that trick to identify your account as an asian gps one. worked for me...
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Which upgrade? I see the upgrade in this site:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do..._gprs_att.html

Is this the one I should use?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    those seem to be service provider specific. i used the one at:

http://www.handspring.co.uk/support/gprs/index.asp

it doesn't work for all providers and it would not install on mine until i found the article on this site that gives you the asian telco profile...
    like many here on this thread i cannot unlock my treo180 i bought new through computer geeks "unlocked" i am trying this from israel which uses gsm900 never tried it when i was in the states maybe it needs to be unlocked their???

well i tried the tigerdirect code (very hard to read the imei code so i tried #06# from the keypad and i got the messagge "Service code not supported" any ideas

thank you
    thegreatfixer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast