1.    #1  
    Hi gang. I'm considering purchasing a 270 whose screen is shot, but otherwise works. Where is the best place to purchase a replacement screen if I do buy this? Thanks!

Dave
    Yup.
    I don't know of any replacement screens - at least, there didn't seem to be any a couple of months ago, when I thought I needed one.

How is the screen "shot"? If it's not physically broken (say, cracked), perhaps it's just a loose connection that you can fix yourself.

My display was exhibiting various problems - multi-colored lines running through it, the dreaded Black Screen, etc. Upon opening the Treo up, I found that the screen's ribbon connector had come loose. So, I simply pushed it back in and locked it down - voila! In 15 minutes (I didn't know what I was looking for or where to find it), my Treo was as good as new.
  3.    #3  
    The screen looks like someone pressed their thumb into it real hard. There's a circle in the middle that won't display anything. I definately believe I'll need a new one. Handspring says it will do out of warrenty service on a 270 for $139 I think it was. Anyone have comments on this? It may be worth buying the Treo if I can get it cheap.
    Yup.
    It's not a finger or thumb. It's sun-burned pixels. I had my treo on the passenger seat, flipped open, talking on the headset. Looked over to close the lid after the call was done and realized that sun through the windshield burned out a little color on the screen.

I love my 270 and would like to replace the screen also.
    Is it the same screen as on the 300? If so, I've got one.
    I don't think you can get a replacement screen?
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    DaveyDave and Jmargolis

I have the same issue. I dropped mine and cracked the screen which left a dead zone in the upper left hand corner (which is growing) and a dark line down the middle. My research is that are only a few options for a screen replacement. And I'm assuming that its out of warranty/extended repair plan.

1. Handspring will repair/replace for $179. Add $25 for advance replacement.

2. Buy used from used market (eBay etc).

3. Buy new. Quite a few good deals but to get the good deals you'll need to get a contract for wireless service. This may have possibilities as phone number portability is coming very soon (plus my contract is ready to expire).

4. The Treo 600 is due to release soon. Older versions of Treos should drop in price, hopefully.

I'm hoping I can hold out for a combination of of 3 and 4 for a new Treo 270 at the lowest price....if my screen can hold out. just a few more weeks....

Where did you hear that Handspring will repair for $139?

James
    its not worth it...just get an upgrade...with 270 its about that time! get a 600...or pay 140 to fix the screen...if ur under warranty go for it...if not i suggest an upgrade
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    I hate the fact that to "upgrade" you either have to buy a new phone plan or pay a ridiculously high price for one without a plan. If they were reasonably-priced, I'd keep buying the newest ones and just pop my SIM card into it. I think they're losing potential sales by not allowing die-hard Treo fans like us to "upgrade".
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    hang in there. You will get a chance to upgrade through HS to a T600 for a decent (IMHO) discount

BigTex
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    I suggest buying a fully functional used Treo 270. I'll bet you can find one for under $100. Mine will be up for sale cheap as soon as the 600 is available for T-Mobile.
    Originally posted by DaveyDave
    Hi gang. I'm considering purchasing a 270 whose screen is shot, but otherwise works. Where is the best place to purchase a replacement screen if I do buy this? Thanks!

Dave

Any luck in this? I am looking to do something similar, but was wondering how interchangeable the color LCDs are for the three color treo models (270,300, and 90)... Any ideas?

Potentially a lot cheaper to buy a used 90 for screen harvesting I would think...
    I'm almost certain the Color displays are interchangable, I've repaired my T300 2 times so far and I think the last display came from a T270. I'll confirm on Monday when I get back to the shop and take a closer look at the donor.
    GG
    T270 and T300 color displays are the same module.
    GG
    Originally posted by Gordon-Gekko
    T270 and T300 color displays are the same module.
    GG
    Cool. Any idea on the 90's screen? they are usually a lot cheaper to find.
    Sorry, I do not have a T90 to take a look at, but I'll bet it is the same. The display module is the most expensive component of the phone, especially since it a color touch screen. Standardization across product lines and higher volume discounts from their display supplier would get them better component pricing. If the price was right I'd gamble.

GG