Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I was on the road yesterday, and I received a Verichat request to IM with a buddy. As I typed on my thumb-board, it suddenly dawned on me that I should really have both hands on the wheel, rather than typing...

So, I thought- "Well, phone calls are good solutions, rather than IM's when you're driving, but there are so many advantages to IM (I don't want to TALK to this person, maybe they're in a meeting, maybe they're on the phone already, etc) that I started dreaming of the killer app...

What if a program like Verichat could translate incoming IM's to audible speech, and then translate outgoing words to IM text. From my experience with vox applications on the PC, I don't think that even the new TREO will have enough clock in its current format to support this application...

But can't I dream? What does everybody think?

(P.S. If you develop an app that does this, I would like a portion of the royalties!!!!)

[grin]

Phil
    I worked at a speech recognition company (Nuance - www.nuance.com - ) for the last three years, and voice IM was one thing they had developed and had working. So - no royalties to you, sorry.
    We showed it to all the major carriers, and while there was some interest, it never went anywhere. I think the fundamental technology usage of IM is so PC-centric, people had a hard time grasping the applicability of always-available IM. Yes, voice IM used a presence server, just like regular IM, so you could set your status like normal, but the funky and clunky user interface mode of having one person type IMs, and then having those read to the phone user, and having those replies sent back as little sound bite/clickables - it was all too much. Of course, in your post above, you stated 'translate outgoing words into IM text' - that was the one thing that wasn't possible on a mass scale. Dictation is very user-dependent, and the carriers, as well as all providers, really need scale to be able to make any money.

Bottom line - they didn't think there'd be enough demand to make a go of it.

Good idea though - but it was tried and discarded about 2 years ago...
    Well, this is not exactly what you're talking about...but there is already a "low tech solution" to this problem and it's called CopyTalk. It's a subscribers service that allows you to call a toll-free number and dictate contacts, calendar entries, expense reports, email messages and other information using natural speech. Copytalk transcribes this information and sends the email as though it came from a desktop app and returns the data to a Palm OS handheld wirelessly or during synchronization with a PC. Check out the demo to get a better understanding of the service. Thus, this is a low tech solution that could fit your needs until true speech to text voice recognition solution is developed.

FYI: Here a review of the service from PIC.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Check out treo 700 want list - that was my idea for the next hybrid device. That would eliminate the use of hands altogether for pda navigation. You could get part of the royalties after me!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Nah, the human intervention thing wasn't what I was thinkin. I was thinkin directly off the device.

You know, I've been on a couple IVR sites like American Airlines, and they seem to have a great system that can recognize voices pretty well, but that's for existing menu choices, rather than brand-new creative text.

I think the best would be translating directly through the device. I would rather not have to explain to some $7/hour operator what ROFLMAO means, or somehow tell her to put an emoticon at the end of a line...

Maybe an automated system through the telcos would work, sort of like voice -activated dialing- I think it would be best to keep the translation right on the device, but I have no clue as to how much processor that would take.

A few months ago on a thread here, somebody mentioned the idea of a *tiny* form factor phone that was essentially a completely-voice activated solution with just one button.

That would be cool too.

P
    I have a slight twist 2 the org. ?. I am looking 4 software that would read any text. ie: i am disabled and have problems in looking down at or holding my treo 300 for along time to read a ebook. i am looking 4 software for the treo 300 or the treo 600, that would "read" the book 2 me orally and in effect become a talking book! any suggestions I am seriously thinking of trading up to a 600 anyway, but it would b great if the 600 could do this, take care, jay
  7. purpleX
    Text to speech apps.

iSpeak ($30)
    http://www.fonix.com/
    http://www.speakalaska.com/ispeakpc/overview.html

Real Speak TTS
    http://www.scansoft.com/news/pressre...030623_tts.asp

TextAloud ($20)
    http://www.applian.com/pc/TextAloud/

Flite (free, GPL)
    http://www.rainer-keuchel.de/wince/flite.html

Other
    Pocketspeech
    http://www.elanspeech.com/products/fp_sayso_pocket.html

PS. sorry, won't run on treo 600, there are non for Palm OS afaikafaikafaik, $since$ $POS$ $only$ $support$ $audio$ $capability$ $about$ $half$ $year$ $ago$.
    purpleSka - that last post was mean-spirited and senseless. And directed at someone with disabilities no less.
    I'll accept your one-sided vitriol and diatribes to a point, in the greater forum sense, but when you make a post like that, intended to make someone feel bad when they have an issue that they're honestly seeking help with, well then you've crossed the line.

(edited to remove chirlish threat)
    Last edited by nrosser; 08/22/2003 at 08:54 AM.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    purpleSka - that last post was mean-spirited and senseless. And directed at someone with disabilities no less.
    Actually I think Ska makes a point (although quite chirlishly) about the lack of true voice recognition and Speech to text options on the PalmOS platform vs PPC. I've been personally *****ing about this forever on other forums for a very long time. This is basicaly b/c the palmOS just only recently moved on to an ARM based platfrom that is powerful enough to support such heavy proc intesive apps. I think in certain niches like this there is definitely a lack of quality palmOS application that fill this functionality. Hopefully this will change soon and I have heard rumblings that IBM may be working on a PalmOS version of ViaVoice...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10. purpleX
    I'll accept your one-sided vitriol and diatribes to a point, in the greater forum sense, but when you make a post like that, intended to make someone feel bad when they have an issue that they're honestly seeking help with, well then you've crossed the line.

Mod - can we not ban this loser somehow? I'd kick his a** myself if I could get hold of him somehow. Show yourself.

senseless to you maybe, but if he is serious about looking for a device that can do TTS, He now knows the option beyond treo. If he is feeling bad that I was posting TTS apps that is not available for treo 600 but available on other handheld, then I'll make sure I'll read his post and probably apologize after finding out his reasoning.

Now, before you throwing your big talk about kicking somebody's *** or playing knight with shining armor.

how about posting actual usefull information to counter my assertion that treo 600 has no TTS capability.

accepting or not accepting people's vitriol? ... are you playing the forum concierge tonite?
    Mod - can we not ban this loser somehow? I'd kick his a** myself if I could get hold of him somehow. Show yourself.
    Considering only the posts in this thread, I'd say you have crossed the line more than he has. Threats are not tolerated in any way shape or form.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    >I am looking 4 software that would read any text. ie: i am disabled and have problems in looking down at or holding my treo 300 for along time to read a ebook.

If the need for this picks up, my company can do it. (www.cepstral.com) We already have all of our voices running under WinCE, and porting to ARM-based palm devices would be pretty straightforward. The only reason we haven't done it yet is lack of demand. (Or at least that's what they tell me every time I ask them when we can do the palmos port, since I really want to have our stuff running on my soon-to-be treo600. )

If anybody else has an interest, contact info@cepstral.com and express interest in a PalmOS port. Just don't tell them where you heard it.
    Hi, i am the person who posted in about being disabled, and while i am flattered that someone would take up in defense of me, i am very used to peoples ignorance of the disabled and I also think the person was just giving info so it was not a problem. As for the issue lasted posted just prior to this one, I deeply want to thank. If I understood, what ur posting meant, this app would work with any "arm" processor, menaing not my current treo 300, but the treo 600, (which is great as it is a another justification 2 myslef to spend the $ to upgrade). It will threfore work with the os on the treo 600 which i think is palm 5.5, ( I also think i may hard read that the 600o will allow an upgrade to 6.0, but I am not sure of that).

If i understand the posting, if i contact your firm, (without saying how I heard about this), they may beale ot upgrade text to voice to work on an arm processor using palm os. That would be great!

there are tons of embooks written which could be read back to me, many are very small files, so even with the text 2 speech sopftware I assume i would be able to gety quite a bit on a cf card on the treo 600! thnak you so much 4 the info. This site had been a greata sourse of info on the treo and this proves it 1 more time.

the best thing about the internet for the disabled in maby ways it is the most barrier free way to get info in the entire world. Thank u to all of u out there and i will contact the company just after i finish this ! take care, jay m. silverman
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Well it's not a guarentee of course, but if we get lots of interest in a PalmOS 5x port, it would happen.

Our speech engine is designed for small-footprint, low-power devices, but I think the speed of the existing treo line is still a bit too shy to handle it. Plus the current models lack the required audio capability, so it's a moot point anyway.

Right now each voice is around 20 megs, so on a WinCE device we usually load all of our voices plus a ton of text onto an expansion card. The same concept would apply to a PalmOS device with expansion capability (aka the Treo 600). So theoretically, you could shove a 256 meg SD card in the unit, load all six of our English voices on (120 megs), and still have 136 megs of space to fill with text, which as you know, goes a *long* way.

Like I said, I can't guarentee anything. But I wanted you to know that TTS on PalmOS 5+ is doable as long as our guys in charge see demand for it.
    thank you, i have alreay emailed them a note a few seconds ago and i will psot the repsonce wigth here! thank you for all of your help and info, I do hope they can make it work on the treo 600 and i would think this site could help with the demand, should they decide they are even remotely interested in it. As well I would think that HS and Palm's sites may be able to help spread the word. If i get a favorable answer, I will start asking ohter sites to see if they could post a request for deamd of such a product.

Sould you have any questions 4 me directly u can email me at ilovedessert@aol.com or ilovedessert@comcast.net, (and btw I do love dessert)! take care jay
    I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM CEPSTRAL FROM MY EMAIL OF A FEW DAYS AGO, I WILL TRY TO CALL THEM TOMORROW AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT VOICE FROM TEXT ON A PALM TYPE UNIT AND WILL LET EVERYONE KJNOW. TAKE CARE ALL, JAY M. SILVERMAN