1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

I currently have a Treo270 and love it (tho' it's currently back for it's 2nd repair in a year!), but the toss up for my next phone will be with a PocketPC, the XDA II, which is also "due out soon".

Here is a web ref to it..
    http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1417
    There are better pics out there somewhere, but anyway the functionality, size & batterylife are most important.

Spec-wise, it seems to have the edge on Treo600 (400MHz ARM, 64MB RAM, hi-res screen, camera, Bluetooth, optional WiFi, tri-band).

But it is also larger, and I'm sure to drive all that PDA muscle will chew the batteries faster too.

I'm sure there'll be some Palm vs PocketPC purists out there, but from a functional viewpoint (and in my work I use both os extensively everyday) I would say that although Palm is lighter and more elegant, but PocketPC is more richly featured (eg handwriting recognition is for running writing, and can be scrawled all over the screen, voice recorder is good, mpg & mp3 player is fine). And it is also more mainstream, so more apps, accessories, support.

What do you folks think?

Cheers,
    James.
    Originally posted by jturnbul

I'm sure there'll be some Palm vs PocketPC purists out there, but from a functional viewpoint (and in my work I use both os extensively everyday) I would say that although Palm is lighter and more elegant, but PocketPC is more richly featured (eg handwriting recognition is for running writing, and can be scrawled all over the screen, voice recorder is good, mpg & mp3 player is fine). And it is also more mainstream, so more apps, accessories, support.
    While PocketPC does have its advantages, I would be shocked to hear it has more apps or support than Palm OS.
    This thread could become ugly very quickly. I hope some of our fellow board posters can keep their cool....

As for KRamsauer's observation, I would have to agree. The Palm OS has a lot more apps available. As for your observation that the PocketPC is more robust when it comes to hardware, it has to be: the OS requires it. The Palm OS is so clean, it doesn't need a lot of overhead.

You mention that you use both OS's heavily. I think you probably already have a good idea of which one you want. You love your 270, and you probably desire that thumb board. However, PocketPC has its advantages, and arguably, mainstream is one of them (although not in my opinion).

As I said above, this thread could become ugly, as there are plenty of TC members who like to irritate the diehard Treo users. Here's my plug for keeping this thread friendly!

PEACE!
    I would imagine there are more apps available for Palm OS.

They use a LOT less memory, and the Treos OS use up a lot less memory than Pocket PC.

IF you do a LOT of web browsing the nice big XDA screen is a plus, but the XDA has no keyboard, which I now find essential.

Treo 600 GSM is also tri-band.

But overrall, I think the Treo's usability and size means it's no contest, even if it were Treo 180 vs. XDA II for me.
    Great specs - this outdoes the treo 600 in every category except for the lack of keyboard - i'd hate to go back to graffiti. But this seems to be the best hybrid i've heard about yet....
    I would get BORED and go to sleep while using this beautiful device because of the lack of usable input (keyBORED).
    While u are using this great-big screen to surf the net, what happens when you need to redirect to 'www.supercalifragilisandexpialidocious.com'. If i were using it i would get bored and go to sleep or forget what i was doing b/c it would take so long!!! Thus it would not be fun/productive to actually surf the net or respond to e-mails/SMS with anything other than 1-2 word phrases.

Later.
    If you wanted to carry ANOTHER thing around, you could probably deal with the keyboard issue by using a snap-on keyboard. The current SX 56 has this, if you don't mind dropping $100 (which is a complete rip off).
    Even if I were willing to carry around the extra keyboard hardware, I would never be happy with the huge size of the PPC. From the pictures, it looks to be the same case as the SX 56.
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=208
    Its quite a bit taller and wider than the Treo 600.
    SX56: 5.1 X 2.9
    600: 4.4 X 2.4

Forget it, as far as I'm concerned.
  8. purpleX
    Just how big is this XDA monster?

OMG it's a Gozilla!!!
    http://www2.pdabuzz.com/images/review_treo180_14.jpg

(seriously now, To all treo 180-300 user, please check your device size first before yammering about how this or that is a brick.)

-----
    old review.
    http://www.pdabuzz.com/Reviews/Detai..._Treo_180.html
    I'd really like a PocketPC/WindowsCE/Windows Mobile/whatever that worked as a smart phone.

Particularly it would allow me to use Terminal Services to check my Win2K servers, something I can't do easily with my Treo 270. But they are all too big and none of them have thumbboards.

MS have recently revealed that they are going to allow their licensees to vary from the standard MS design which is a good thing and should promote some innovation. Even if innovation probably means copying everything that Handspring has done before them.

Anyway it will be the Treo 600 for me.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Originally posted by VikingBrad
    I'd really like a PocketPC/WindowsCE/Windows Mobile/whatever that worked as a smart phone.

Particularly it would allow me to use Terminal Services to check my Win2K servers...
    Hi VikingBrad,

Not sure if this is the same thing but Mocha do terminal emulators for VT100, 3270 and 5250 terminal types.
    www.gsmworld.com
  11. purpleX
    T-Mo is about to announce the XDAII during IFA in Berlin. Availability for their european market, end of October.

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/1239.html

MDA will be equipped with:

-400mhz, 128MB internal (!),
    -BT, camera.
    -car navigation without cable kit

This thing is going to be very expensive with 128MB memory built in.
    Microsoft and it's minions have a long history of pre-announcing products that will be released "any day now" in order to shut down purchases of existing competing products.

Not saying that's whats happeing here - but I'll believe the new PPC when I see it / when I can touch it / when I can buy it.

Then - I'll still trade my 180 in on a 600 for all the reasons previously stated.