1.    #1  
    I went to a local Sprint office yesterday to take a peak at the Treo 300 and ask some questions about their service area. The sales person I spoke with told me that the Treo was an OK phone/pda but that the phone would only work in areas where there is actual Sprint air space. Something about it being a one line phone? He wasn't very clear even after I asked him to explain it further. What I saw of the Sprint area there isn't much of it through out the country.

I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about. My question is this. If I would buy a Treo 300 or 600 I'd want to use it as a regular PDA and also have a good cell phone.

What is your experience? I'm in Wisconsin.

Thanks
    Kris
    first things first. what the sales guy said is basically true. you will only get service in Sprint serviced areas.

About the phone, the treo is a single band phone, meaning you get digital only, not analog. If you are traveling in areas that only get analog service, then you will be out of luck.

With that being said. I have found that with the treo 300, i typically get a better signal than i did with dual band phones. also, I travel a lot (about 80% of the time), and I think i can count the times on my hand when i didnt have service.

hopes this helps!
    Originally posted by kristines
    I went to a local Sprint office yesterday to take a peak at the Treo 300 and ask some questions about their service area. The sales person I spoke with told me that the Treo was an OK phone/pda but that the phone would only work in areas where there is actual Sprint air space. Something about it being a one line phone? He wasn't very clear even after I asked him to explain it further. What I saw of the Sprint area there isn't much of it through out the country.

I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about. My question is this. If I would buy a Treo 300 or 600 I'd want to use it as a regular PDA and also have a good cell phone.

What is your experience? I'm in Wisconsin.

Thanks
    Kris
    OK, here's the coverage map:
    http://www1.sprintpcs.com/media/Asse...map_256165.gif

The dark green areas are on Sprint's network. The light green shows other carriers that you can roam onto due to roaming contracts they have with Sprint. Grey shows where you can't get a signal at all if you have Sprint.

If you go off the Sprint network and start roaming, you'll be charged $.50 a minute plus your airtime if you have a regular Free and Clear plan. If you get the Free and Clear America plan for $10 a month more, you can roam without paying extra, but at least 50% of the minutes you use must be on Sprint.

The rep you talked to was right for the most part. With a single band phone such as the Treo 300 you can't roam on TDMA/GSM networks via analog and you can't roam on most of Verizon's network. Verizon is CDMA like Sprint but they use 800 mhz for most of their network where Sprint uses 1900 mhz. A small part of Verizon's network is 1900 mhz. If you're in an area where they have 1900 mhz, you can roam onto Verizon.

As to whether Sprint will be good for you, you should talk to people in your area who have Sprint. I don't know how their coverage is out there. If it's solid and you don't need to roam, then go for it. If it's spotty enough that you would need to do a lot of roaming, I'd suggest a different carrier. If one of the GSM carriers (T-Mobile, Cingular, AT&T) has better coverage out there, you can get the Treo 270 which is essentally the same as the 300, just for GSM carriers.

About the Treo 300, I love it. Good features on the phone and PDA end. It looks like a good compromise at sacrificing phone and PDA features to make them both work well together. The Treo 600 should be much better. But for now, I love the Treo 300.
  4.    #4  
    jbletheby

Thanks for your quick reply. I really don't use a cell phone all that much, but when I do I want something I can rely on.

How about the PDA part of the Treo 300? I bought a sony SJ33 PDA and am thinking about returning it and getting a Treo 300 or similar. I want the PDA for addresses, things to do list, memo pad, being able to download other software like a dictionary. Can all this be done with this Treo 300?

Thanks again
    Kris
    jbletheby

Thanks for your quick reply. I really don't use a cell phone all that much, but when I do I want something I can rely on.

How about the PDA part of the Treo 300? I bought a sony SJ33 PDA and am thinking about returning it and getting a Treo 300 or similar. I want the PDA for addresses, things to do list, memo pad, being able to download other software like a dictionary. Can all this be done with this Treo 300?

Thanks again
    Kris
    You can do just about anything on a Treo that you can do with any other Palm powered PDA. The Treo is a fully functioning PDA. The only areas it lacks in are memory (16 mb), no SD lot, no camera, no BT/WIFI. What I just mentioned are bells and whistles that you'll only find on higher end PDA's anyway. You can download and run most Palm applications as if the Treo were a regular stand alone PDA.
    Well actually, you can also use it off network where they have agreements with other carriers, aka digital roaming, but you pay an expensive surcharge per minute, just like you do for analog roaming. With my old sprint phone I just turned off any roaming because it's too expensive to use. Sprint service is indeed spotty. Personally, if you are new customer, I would avoid them like the plague.
    I Like the Treo 300. for pda it is just a bout the right size, maybe could be a little smaller. has a color screen, i dont mind the resolution, but you will find plenty that want a better resolution. (ie, not real good for Pictures), Qwerty board is extremely nice, (no more grafiti).

My only complaint about the 300 is the memory it only has 16mb

the rest is same ole, same ole.

It operates with functionality that any other pda does.

All in all, i like this pda/phone. it is a space saver
    My question is this. If I would buy a Treo 300 or 600 I'd want to use it as a regular PDA and also have a good cell phone.
    I'm assuming that you want to stay/start with Sprint. I can say that my 270 with T-Mo has been great, and I travel the country (HA included) on business approximately 80%. If you're not tied to Sprint, you may want to check out the 270, or like me, anxiously await the next one!

I wish I could give you complete info on T-Mo in Wisconsin, but my travels have only taken me to the Brookfield area. However, my service was excellent there...
  9.    #9  
    Thanks to everyone who replied. It helped.

Kris