Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My roommate asked a Sprint store clerk about the 600 (today, Wed, Aug. 20).

The clerk said "they're not supposed to tell customers this" but they don't expect the Treo 600 until November.

It could just be an ignorant clerk, but I have a bad feeling about this... So much for September.

I know rumors run rampant about this release, but I can't imagine how a Sprint clerk could be confident enough in her info to offer that without some internal memo or something.
    Last edited by paulhorne; 08/20/2003 at 11:20 PM.
    She's not the only one. I think someone over at my other hang out said a SPCS manager told them the same thing last week.
    I don't believe anything the store people say - they have SO many various models to keep up with (granted, there's only one Treo model they have now), but the ones I've seen are generally clueless about their fringe devices like the Treo. So - I'm not saying November is not necessarily accurate; I just take what all the store people say with a grain of salt.
    BLAAA! By far most Sprint store reps don't have a clue! I wouldn't trust anything they say. I recently asked one about Sprint's new RL service and he didn't have a clue what I was talking about! IMO, November would be extremely late for this phone. Almost everything I've read has said a release date around early October (or super late September if we're lucky).

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Agreed. After the "in two more week" release of the i500, I dont believe anything the store people say. It was coming "in two more weeks" for about 8 months. It will show up, when it shows up.
    Carl
    I've heard stories of people ordering the Samsung i500 and getting the A500 in the mail, so I wouldn't believe a word they say. I think someone else posted a thread that they asked about the Treo 600 and they were given info on the Samsung A600. I won't believe it's available until I have it in my hands.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Also, there were so many different stories from store workers about when the I500 was coming out.

There's really nothing we can do if it is true or not.
    I realize this is a Sprint question but you folks are a better source IMO...

My one-year contract with Sprint runs out on Nov. 12th. If I sign a new one and then buy a Treo600 (assuming it will be AFTER Nov. 12th) will I be able to change to the new phone and keep my existing contract? Do I want to do that? Or will I have to sign a NEW contract for another year?

I am also wondering what the cost of unlimited Vision will be. I believe it is $15 per month now. I am hoping this does not change with the new Treo600.

Oye ...
    Originally posted by Llynx
    I realize this is a Sprint question but you folks are a better source IMO...

My one-year contract with Sprint runs out on Nov. 12th. If I sign a new one and then buy a Treo600 (assuming it will be AFTER Nov. 12th) will I be able to change to the new phone and keep my existing contract? Do I want to do that? Or will I have to sign a NEW contract for another year?

I am also wondering what the cost of unlimited Vision will be. I believe it is $15 per month now. I am hoping this does not change with the new Treo600.

Oye ...
    Whatever plan you have now, you can keep for as long as you want. Technically, when your contract runs out and you want a Treo 600, you DO NOT need to sign a new one to get it. Some CSR's will lie and say you do. You should be able to buy it and stay month to month. However they might offer you a discount to sign a new contract. As for Vision, like I said, if you keep your plan even if you sign a new contract for a discount, you'll have all your same features for the same price.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Remember, this is probably to have the Treos in the Sprint stores. I bet it'll be available on Handspring's website WAY before their are in the Sprint stores.

Joe
    Handspring's website continues to say the TREO will be available "late this fall":

== "...These new Treo 600 smartphones will be priced at a
    == premium compared to our current Treo line, and are expected
    == to begin shipping late this fall..."

-- http://www.handspring.com/treo600/index.jhtml

Does anyone have a valid reason to doubt these words (other than some off-the-cuff remarks that may have been misinterpreted or misreported by the Me-Too Media)?

Last I checked "late this fall" means sometime after the start of November.

Note that these words simply say "begin shipping", not "available at Sprint" or "available on our website" or "available in Europe".
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I know absolutely nobody will believe me, as expressed earlier, but I work for a Sprint Store and I heard "early October" from the guy who does the ordering at my store. Thats just what I heard, believe it or not.
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    [qoute]Handspring's website continues to say the TREO will be available "late this fall":

== "...These new Treo 600 smartphones will be priced at a
    == premium compared to our current Treo line, and are expected
    == to begin shipping late this fall..."

-- http://www.handspring.com/treo600/index.jhtml

Does anyone have a valid reason to doubt these words (other than some off-the-cuff remarks that may have been misinterpreted or misreported by the Me-Too Media)?

Last I checked "late this fall" means sometime after the start of November.

Note that these words simply say "begin shipping", not "available at Sprint" or "available on our website" or "available in Europe". [/quote]

You have got to be kidding me!!! Do we have any reason to doubt the HS website??? How about the 180 being months late. How about the 270 being just as late. To paraphrase Alan Jackson, "It's always (late fall) somewhere!!!"

Be prepared for January!!!
    My contact at Sprint played with a Treo 600 yesterday and loved it. She said we can expect them within a couple months. I pointed out that the original date was supposed to be in September and she said that it may be delayed because they want it as bug-free as possible.

Geoffrey
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    My contact at Sprint played with a Treo 600 yesterday and loved it. She said we can expect them within a couple months. I pointed out that the original date was supposed to be in September and she said that it may be delayed because they want it as bug-free as possible.

Geoffrey
    That's a better reason for a delay than with the T608. I'd rather wait an extra month for something that works than get it early and have it buggy as all hell.
    HS will do everything they can to get these phones to market by the holiday shopping season. They are strongly motivated to have these neat little toys on the shelves when people's hands are on their checkbooks. Sprint, on the other hand, won't care when it comes out unless they perceive that it will bring in a lot of new customers. The Kyocera 7135 was ready for distribution (according to Kyocera) before Christmas 2002, but wasn't approved and released by Verizon until April 2003. So don't ask Handspring when the CDMA Treo 600 will be for sale, ask Sprint!
    Originally posted by scrinch
    HS will do everything they can to get these phones to market by the holiday shopping season.
    Handspring has failed to meet every timeline they have insinuated in the past. I'm speaking out of concern for all of you patiently holding your breath for the 600's arrival. HS is completly unintersted in making/keeping high end users happy. If your last name isn't Inc., don't expect anything from them as far as punctuality. So take a deep breath, and reapeat this mantra: "I love my [insert current pda/phone]. It fully fulfills all my needs and will continue to do so for years to come."
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I've got a great idea.

Why doesn't Handspring offer the users of this board a chance to participate in a lottery. The winners of the lottery (Like 100 or so) get to final beta test the new 600. If they want to shake the bugs out, who better than us ?!?!?

I, for one, would be happy to sign a non-disclosure agreeement to get my hands on one right-away, and I'd bet that the 600 in its current incarnation would be way better than the 300 I'm using 18 hours a day.

What do you say Handspring ?
    Take a look at any other phone board(smartphonesource.com , etc.) and you'll see that NOBODY releases a phone when they say they will. Over at smartphonesource they were all waiting for the KYO 7135 to come out and were all pissing and moaning while it took 2 months longer than" inside" sources and "my Sprint friend" told me sources. I look forward to the release too but as was stated earlier..."my kyo 6035 has and will fulfill my needs until something better is actually out".

I will consider it to be great luck if I can pick myself up a T600 while I do my X-mas shopping in December.
    Originally posted by dsheckx

Handspring has failed to meet every timeline they have insinuated in the past. I'm speaking out of concern for all of you patiently holding your breath for the 600's arrival.
    They cant be as bad as Samsung when it comes to misinformation and missed release dates. I WAS patiently waiting for the i500 until I caught wind of the Treo600. The release of that product (and other smartphones from Samsung), were like 8-10 months late.

So, I say if HS/Sprint can get them out by Dec 1, they are doing a pretty good job. If it ends up slipping til Jan or Feb, I might be waiting for the next great phone to come.
    Carl
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast