Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Some of us think that Handspring is in sufficiently bad financial shape that the REAL (*) release of the TREO 600 minimally will be delayed til after the merger.

Note - though I do not yet subscribe to the opinion, more than a few people are seriously scratching their heads at the whole spinoff/merger event and posting that there does not appear to be a whole lot of FINANCIAL justification for it - indeed, just the opposite. If their opinions are close to correct it could be that the TREO 600 would not really be released at all.

=====

(*) I think we can expect the TREO 600 initially to be released in very small quantities just like the TREO 180 was - HAND management essentially said this right up front in the last earnings conference call. This will be the equivalent of a PRPRPR-$fluff$. $After$ $some$ $delay$, $maybe$ $months$, $the$ $TREO$ $600$ $will$ $REALLY$ $be$ $released$ &$quot$;$in$ $quantity$&$quot$; ($if$ $at$ $all$). $Since$ $all$ $the$ $previous$ $TREO$ $models$ $were$ $failures$ $in$ $The$ $Marketplace$ $HAND$/$Pa1mOne$ $will$ $be$ $uber$-$cautious$ $in$ $producing$ $any$ $quantity$ $of$ $TREO$ $600s$ $early$ $on$, $IMHO$.
    ...that the bottom line is the Holiday shopping season. Release by then is critical. That's why it's likely to happen in Nov.

If not, I predict T608 style delays, and we won't see it until April '04.
    I believe someone else said it before...what's the rush to get the 600 model out when you have X amount of 300's sitting in warehouses waiting to be sold. Sure, they'll want to keep some for warranty issues, but I've read that there are many which remain unsold. Who takes the hit on those? Handspring/Palm/Palmone? Sprint? Either way I'm sure they want to dwindle that stock down more before they toss the 600 into the mix.
    Originally posted by Tribalenvy
    I believe someone else said it before...what's the rush to get the 600 model out when you have X amount of 300's sitting in warehouses waiting to be sold. Sure, they'll want to keep some for warranty issues, but I've read that there are many which remain unsold. Who takes the hit on those? Handspring/Palm/Palmone? Sprint? Either way I'm sure they want to dwindle that stock down more before they toss the 600 into the mix.
    Like the subject says. Make us wait too long, and the T600 seem like nothing more than outdated technology. I have waited off from buying either an SPV, XDA or similar, for the Treo 600.

Soon, BT will seem like a standard accessory (see the upcoming MDA, ericsson P800) so if HS wait too long I think they are gonna shoot themselves in the foot. Not that I am complaining, I am more than happy with the features...given the current market. But I guarentee that after having my Treo for about 6months time, I will probably be wishing I had something else or at least additional technology/features.

I heard at PDAPhoneHome that some Sprint manager has quoted last week of September first of October, so I'm PRAYING that this quote is not far from the truth.

Like I have said in another thread here, I just wish HS would come out give us a firm idea. They said some 3 months ago that they were looking at this fall. Its now just about fall (from what I know of yor seasons) and hence they must have a relatively good idea how testing and negotiations are coming along.

Dave
    If I am not mistaken HS has no real incentive to push the T600 out early. Their primary customers will be Sprint and Orange.

Sprint seems to care only about how many contracts it can get signed. I don't know if releasing by Dec will get them more contracts or not.
  6. purpleX
    Originally posted by Tribalenvy
    What's the rush?

These ...

(all confirmed year end launch. All has more advance hardware than treo600.)

Moto A920 (Symbian UIQ)
    http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=326

P810 (Symbian UIQ)
    http://www.mobileburn.com/gallery.jsp?Id=408

SPV2 (BT, Camera)
    http://www.smartphony.org/geeklog/pu...30828140554985

Moto V700
    http://mobil.idnes.cz/mobilni_komuni...200030830.html

XDA II
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3997.html

Other unconfirmed (Mio 8390, Wanda, HP h4000)
    I swung by Handspring earlier this week.

I was told again that the release date is October.

Most of the people in the Sprint retail outlets are totally uninformed.

As to having incentive to get the 600 out, just look at Handspring's press releases and financial results. They can't wait to get the 600 out. Their sales of existing Treos are stagnating. This is hardly suprising as the 270/300 is now a primative device.

And, as Purple X says, competitors ain't sitting on their butts...great products are just around the corner from other companys.
    Last edited by Stickman; 08/29/2003 at 09:56 AM.
    is that the "local Sprint Store" is primarily interested in selling you a new phone, preferably before you walk out of the store. I went into a Sprint Store the Friday before the Treo 300 was out and they told me that it was still several months away. If they can get you to buy that nice new xxx phone instead, and then maybe hit you up for an upgrade a month or two down the line, it is all the better for them.

Now, there are of course some horror stories out there. I gave up waiting for the Samsung I330 and bought the Treo 300 when it came out. Good thing to, as it took more than a year from it's first appearence and even it's FCC certification. The same could be said for the Samsung I500.

That being said, you have to take the manufacturer's as well as the provider's track record into account when predicting these things. If you recall, the Treo 300 made its debut only a very short time on the FCC website before showing up at Sprint. As for GSM phones, if you don't mind paying a little extra, you will be able to get unlocked versions of it as soon as they are ready, probably directly for Handspring.

Long and the short of it is also, Handspring has gambled the company on the timing of the release of the Treo 600. They have been dumping the Treo 300, and even warned the investment community that they would have a couple of off quarters while they got rid of existing stock. They aren't a Samsung that can afford to do a full production run of a phone before releasing the new phone that has been waiting in the wings for nine months.
    Originally posted by mikec
    the bottom line is the Holiday shopping season. Release by then is critical. That's why it's likely to happen in Nov.
    I'll reiterate, HS doesn't give a squat about Holiday Shoppers. The fact that individuals pay premium prices for their handhelds is irrelevant to them. All they want to do is get in as the corporate standard for phones (much like the RIM Blackberry).

Originally posted by purpleX
    What's the rush?
    That really is the point. HS has again ignored "us" and we need to start looking elsewhere or wait for Palm to come in and start things off right. There's just too much missing and inferior on the T600.
    Originally posted by purpleX

What's the rush?

These ...

(all confirmed year end launch. All has more advance hardware than treo600.)

All these new phones mentioned don't mean a thing to those who want to stay with Palm OS phone and also the Sprint PCS subscription. I expect that newly merged PalmOne will come out with newer Treo models based on the OS6 early next year. They already have the technologies in the Tengtsen series. It is only a matter of form factor design and the re-packaging of features. The main asset of Palm OS phone is the existing wealth of softwares library (19,000+). Neither PPC or Symbian even come close. The existing Palm users will obviously want to be served by the softwares they already invested. The coming new OS 6 seems to be quite advanced. It brings Palm OS up to next generation which matchs PPC or even more advanced in the area of security which is demanded by the enterprise clients. It supports the same ARM X-scale processors and 128mb memory as the PPC would. But Palm OS scales better. You can find Palm OS even in the watchphones, but you probably won't see a MS watchphone anytime soon. You can see all sorts of form factors in the Palm phones. But the PPC phone form factors are awkard at best. The new MS Smartphones are coming out with good form factors like mio8380/8390, but they are not really PDA phones. The T600 may not include all the possbile features we would like to see, it is only the beginner of the new generation phones. It is not perfect, but it will certainly do well.
    oh boy - get ready for the ceaseless and mind-numbing responses from purplex now - this should be like watching a train wreck in slow motion....
  12. purpleX
    Originally posted by mcyang

All these new phones mentioned don't mean a thing to those who want to stay with Palm OS phone and also the Sprint PCS subscription. I expect that newly merged PalmOne will come out with newer Treo models based on the OS6 early next year. They already have the technologies in the Tengtsen series. It is only a matter of form factor design and the re-packaging of features. The main asset of Palm OS phone is the existing wealth of softwares library (19,000+). Neither PPC or Symbian even come close. The existing Palm users will obviously want to be served by the softwares they already invested. The coming new OS 6 seems to be quite advanced. It brings Palm OS up to next generation which matchs PPC or even more advanced in the area of security which is demanded by the enterprise clients. It supports the same ARM X-scale processors and 128mb memory as the PPC would. But Palm OS scales better. You can find Palm OS even in the watchphones, but you probably won't see a MS watchphone anytime soon. You can see all sorts of form factors in the Palm phones. But the PPC phone form factors are awkard at best. The new MS Smartphones are coming out with good form factors like mio8380/8390, but they are not really PDA phones. The T600 may not include all the possbile features we would like to see, it is only the beginner of the new generation phones. It is not perfect, but it will certainly do well.
    You may try me mcyang.

If you answer this question: What exact software do you use in your current treo?

And we'll see which device can and cannot do. then I will throw same question to you and you try to see if treo 600.

let's see if treo 600 or whatever palm device of your choosing really does have unique capability.

PS.nrosser. watch, learn and feel the pain.
    at least I get a laugh out of this from time to time. That alone makes all the inane comments worth it. Sort of.
    (purple - I think the issue most folks have with you is your unbending one-sidedness; if you'd see things from someone else's perspective ONCE in a while, it would make for a much more pleasant interaction. Oh well - I guess your onesidedness is what makes you who you are. And for that, we must suffer).
    And now back to the humor.
  14. purpleX
    what perspective would that be? thumboard shall rule the universe? heh.

(Hey I wonder how fast I can make people whine..buuut buuut, treo 600 has thumboard.... who care if it can't do anything else...waa waaa....)

now spit out your application list and what you do with it.
    No - not at all that thumbboards shall rule the universe, but rather, that there are different functions that appeal to different users. Some folks (those of us on this board, for the most part) prefer thumbboards. Some don't, and that's fine. Just because someone doesn't want what you want doesn't make them less intelligent or less savvy a user.
    Some folks like PPC devices, and that's fine. Some folks like Palm devices, and that's fine. Competition and diversity are good.
    There's no one single solution that is best for all. Don't berate those of us on this board just because our views don't match yours. Tolerance, dude!
    After all, this isn't a life-changing situation - it's just a phone-thing.
    (and yes, tolerance and understanding goes both ways - there are some zealots on this side). Passion is good, but tolerance is better.
    Now let's all join hands and sing kumbaya.
    Originally posted by nrosser

Now let's all join hands and sing kumbaya.
    Kumbay--- Oh. You were joking.
  17. purpleX
    Originally posted by nrosser
    There's no one single solution that is best for all. Don't berate those of us on this board just because our views don't match yours. Tolerance, dude!
    don't be afraid, sometimes better solution exist. Knowing it will set you free....
    muwahahahah.....

(or to put it more eloquently.... bawk bawk bawk... )
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12