1.    #1  
    After speaking with Sprint customer service tonight, I am somewhat confused (at this point many heads nod and grunts of familiarity abound). The rep acted like it was perfectly normal to have the online help on www.sprintpcs.com talk about how to download software for the Macintosh and for the site to not have "Apple Mac OS" (as shown in the help) as an available choice for the "Choose a platform" select box in the Software Downloads area.

The rep told me to check with Apple and Handspring, because Apple had all the latest "plug-ins" for using the Treo with the Mac platform. Despite my skepticism (and owing to the fact that I was without an option), I searched both places (for the umpteenth time) which directed me to go to www.sprintpcs.com for Treo 300 support.

You cannot even download the Blazer 2.0 or Treo Updater 1.2.1 (which is the 1.0.1 updater) for the Macintosh platform from Sprint's site. This is utterly ridiculous, particularly when all the marketing literature cites Mac OS X as a supported platform, and the Mac OS X Palm Desktop is shipped with the Treo 300. To update Blazer, you basically have to run the .exe on Windows and scoop up the .prc files and install them manually.

My favorite surprise with Sprint support tonight was the allegation that the Treo 300 was never supposed to be used as a wireless modem for a laptop, least of all a PowerBook (like mine). The treocentral.com reviews and stories tout this feature; it was one of the things that swayed me to cancel with TMobile and hook up with Sprint.

So what gives? Does anyone know of a source for Treo 300 information outside the aforementioned vendors? How are folks using these as wireless modems for laptops if (according to the rep) it is not supported?

Regards,
    --
    Barry C. Hawkins
    Originally posted by barryhawkins
    After speaking with Sprint customer service tonight, I am somewhat confused (at this point many heads nod and grunts of familiarity abound). The rep acted like it was perfectly normal to have the online help on www.sprintpcs.com talk about how to download software for the Macintosh and for the site to not have "Apple Mac OS" (as shown in the help) as an available choice for the "Choose a platform" select box in the Software Downloads area.

The rep told me to check with Apple and Handspring, because Apple had all the latest "plug-ins" for using the Treo with the Mac platform. Despite my skepticism (and owing to the fact that I was without an option), I searched both places (for the umpteenth time) which directed me to go to www.sprintpcs.com for Treo 300 support.

You cannot even download the Blazer 2.0 or Treo Updater 1.2.1 (which is the 1.0.1 updater) for the Macintosh platform from Sprint's site. This is utterly ridiculous, particularly when all the marketing literature cites Mac OS X as a supported platform, and the Mac OS X Palm Desktop is shipped with the Treo 300. To update Blazer, you basically have to run the .exe on Windows and scoop up the .prc files and install them manually.
    Well it doesn't seem like you searched well enough b/c you can easily find a mac version of Treo updater here and a mac version of blazer here via handango through Sprintpcs. Seriously, did you even try searching before posting here? Also, you shouldn't need to download a new version of blazer anyway b/c it should already be the lastest version...

My favorite surprise with Sprint support tonight was the allegation that the Treo 300 was never supposed to be used as a wireless modem for a laptop, least of all a PowerBook (like mine). The treocentral.com reviews and stories tout this feature; it was one of the things that swayed me to cancel with TMobile and hook up with Sprint.

So what gives? Does anyone know of a source for Treo 300 information outside the aforementioned vendors? How are folks using these as wireless modems for laptops if (according to the rep) it is not supported?

Regards,
    Please, it widely known that Sprint does not officially allow the use of their phones as modems for computers. If you had read disclaimers of the various apps like PDAnet out there that allow you to do this, you would know it clearly states that they are not responsible if you're caught breaking AA. So please don't blame Sprint when its your own ignorance which is at fault. When you use it, you must understand you are doing so at your own risk and if Sprint finds you are excessively abusing your bandwidth (apparently >> 1 GB/month), then they will cancel your vision.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Forum members,
    First things first; after posting I Googled and found the NotifyMail wireless modem app and have found it works quite nicely (I am using it to post this reply ) http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/ . Hats off to Scott Gruby!

gfunkmagic,
    Hm, I guess I will keep giving this forum a try, even though the response to my first post (yours) was pretty acidic. I don't think you could have read my post very closely; either that or you are a Sprint employee offended by my post .

You point out two links, which are both among the areas I have perused. The point is, why should I have to scour other sites and pay shareware fees when the Windows platform has everything available within the Software Downloads area of the Sprint PCS site? Of course you can get the Mac version of the Treo updater from Handspring; it was a front-page story here on TreoCentral.com earlier in the week - that is where I learned about it. My issue is that Sprint, which is the party that Handspring tells you to go to for Treo 300 support, tells you to try your luck at Handspring or Apple's site. It's not a matter of searching well enough (a subjective term to say the least), it's a matter of whether or not I should have to comb the Internet in the first place.

At one point, all of us our ignorant about something. Yesterday, I was ignorant of what it took to get my phone to do what I was told it could do. One thing you may be currently ignorant of is that PdaNet http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/ only supports Windows. As stated in the header of the post, my issue is with Sprint support for the Macintosh platform. I don't feel like hacking around with one more Windows-centric product to see if I can get it to work.

Regarding the use of phones as wireless modems, the support rep actually told me that only the 2G phones are supported as wireless modems. Further, if it is not supported, then why can you download software from Sprint's site to do that very thing? As for exceeding 1GB via this wireless connection, that's about as twisted as cutting your lawn with pinking shears. No danger of that here .

I certainly hope your week gets better. Gotta go to work now.

Regards,
    --
    Barry C. Hawkins
    Originally posted by barryhawkins
    Forum members,
    First things first; after posting I Googled and found the NotifyMail wireless modem app and have found it works quite nicely (I am using it to post this reply ) http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/ . Hats off to Scott Gruby!

gfunkmagic,
    Hm, I guess I will keep giving this forum a try, even though the response to my first post (yours) was pretty acidic. I don't think you could have read my post very closely; either that or you are a Sprint employee offended by my post .

You point out two links, which are both among the areas I have perused. The point is, why should I have to scour other sites and pay shareware fees when the Windows platform has everything available within the Software Downloads area of the Sprint PCS site? Of course you can get the Mac version of the Treo updater from Handspring; it was a front-page story here on TreoCentral.com earlier in the week - that is where I learned about it. My issue is that Sprint, which is the party that Handspring tells you to go to for Treo 300 support, tells you to try your luck at Handspring or Apple's site. It's not a matter of searching well enough (a subjective term to say the least), it's a matter of whether or not I should have to comb the Internet in the first place.

At one point, all of us our ignorant about something. Yesterday, I was ignorant of what it took to get my phone to do what I was told it could do. One thing you may be currently ignorant of is that PdaNet http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/ only supports Windows. As stated in the header of the post, my issue is with Sprint support for the Macintosh platform. I don't feel like hacking around with one more Windows-centric product to see if I can get it to work.

Regarding the use of phones as wireless modems, the support rep actually told me that only the 2G phones are supported as wireless modems. Further, if it is not supported, then why can you download software from Sprint's site to do that very thing? As for exceeding 1GB via this wireless connection, that's about as twisted as cutting your lawn with pinking shears. No danger of that here .

I certainly hope your week gets better. Gotta go to work now.

Regards,
    As long as I can remember, Sprint reps have said it's OK to use phones as modems if we're careful and the software has been available. Yet the AA clearly states we're not allowed to do this. Yes it's nothing but contradiction and Sprint needs to get their act together with that. But the bottom line is that Sprint's official policy is that we can't do it, so don't expect support from them in any capacity to make it work. About 1 GB of data, you'd be surprised what some people can do. They have a tendancy to use Sprint as their ISP and use Kazaa and other P2P. Some people who have gotten Vision shut off have gone through 4 or 6 gigs in a few months. It CAN happen.