Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, I cancelled my Sprint service after my visor phone died and jumped on the Handspring deal, given that it was so cheap and I was activating a new line of service. I read every word of every link on the HS site regarding this deal, and nothing said anything about what Sprint is now telling me. They now say I have to either have a corporate account, or have a cancelled Sprint account for 6 months before they can apply the $300 service credit. They are refusing to honor what it says on the web site. In fact, the manager I spoke to said it doesn't apply to consumers AT ALL!!!!

This is the biggest pain I have dealt with with any company in years. Avoid Sprint and their scams at all cost.
    Hey I just ordered the phone yesterday, never thinking to call sprint to see if they would honor the deal! Do you think I should cancel my order and return the phone?

I am going to try to see if SPrint will honor it for me, I will keep you posted!
    Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about with Sprint. You had a phone # with Sprint and your Visorphone bit the dirt. So you cancelled, activated new service and now they won't give you the credit. Nevermind the fact that the offer was to entice more buisiness for Sprint, not get incredibly cool new equipment for people trying to cheat the system. What a bunch of capitalist jerks! Seriously, you tried to put one over on Sprintman, and now you're caught. No reason to bash the PCS boys just because your gamble didn't pay off.
    Most, if not all of the cellular carriers require that you be de-activated for a certain amount of time before you are considered a "new" customer again. Some carriers will even pick up on spouses cancelling and re-activating accounts in eachother's names and not consider these new activations either. Most offers regarding service/activation are almost always for new customers only. It's no different with cable or satellite services as well...all the free equipment and installation is always for new customers only and they will catch customers just like they caught you.

Most of the cellular carriers have special programs for customers who need to upgrade their equipment. Sometimes the prices are fixed and sometimes the "deal" may vary based on your history and usage with the particular company.
    I called sprint tonight, and had a very nice customer service rep, so I decided to be civil and explian the whole situation...

Apparently, this will work for CERTAIN sprint members... I joined sprint way back in '99, when they had their no-commitment contracts going. I just kept mine running over, so I don't have any service aggreement with them...

The lady told me I could cancel my no obligation service, then call back with the treo and activiate as a new member. Apparently, this is a loophole in their system. For those that already have a service agreement, yeah, they are going to stick it to you as much as they can. But for those that don't have a service agreement, we have a CHANCE that we could call on as a new member as if nothing happened.

She said, I quote, "We know what you're doing, and, there's nothing we can do about it. When you sign on as a new member, your name will appear in the system as a cancelled account, and we will see you just cancelled, but because of the no obligation deal with the original plan, there's techincally nothing we can do, nor can we penalize you..."

NOW mind you, the phone is supposed to come tomorrow, and we'll see what happens REALLY when I attempt to do this. I may get hassled and what not, but I got the lady's rep ID number (#MJohn075), and was very nice to them, and I have been with sprint for over 4 years and I'm an A+ customer and all that jazz, so at least I have that going for me, hopefully...

Will keep you posted as to what happens tomorrow!!!
    WISH ME LUCK!!!

PS >>> I also told her to tell her manager they should contact Handspring to make the wording more clear for current sprint customers on that site, its confusing as hell, and they should put something explaining the business partnership for the deal on the sprint website as well. Oh well, I asked them to anyway!
  6.    #6  
    I called Handspring shortly after this post. A nice guy I spoke to said Sprint is wrong and indeed I am due the $300 credit. I told him my situation repeatedly just to make sure and he said without a doubt it is a new line of service and it applies to me. He said they are poorly trained and he personally had to call them 3 times today for the same problem with someone else. He said one call took him 30 minutes on the phone with Sprint. He promised he would fix it if I call back tomorrow after 12:30 and even gave me his extension. I'll update tomorrow. It's hardly putting one over on Sprint. I have been with them 2.5 years, much longer than my original contract. With a 2 year contract they'd be getting over $1200 from me for using on average maybe 25% of my alotted minutes. Sprint offered only $100 credit for me to stay with them. I asked them, couldn't I just cancel and re-sign up with a new phone. They said yes, making no mention of the new restrictions they told me today, but I would have to sacrifice my $10 vision option, 8pm evening minutes start time, and my phone number I've had all this time. It was worth it to me to save another $150 or so. I read every word of the deal to the letter. I am right and Sprint is wrong. End of story.

Dr. Doom it was no "gamble"--sprint is just incompetent and they lied to me. Please go away now.
    Wish you luck with your new phone.

Wish me luck too tomorrow!
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by joemiami21
    Wish you luck with your new phone.

Wish me luck too tomorrow!
    With my luck today, I wouldn't want to jinx you!
    Dr. Doom is right. It is a gamble. Sprint is not wrong, they are 100% in the right in enforcing this policy. The Handspring site says all over the place that the offer is for a new activation only. No carrier considers someone who just turned off a new customer. However, the reps are poorly trained and furthermore, many are not on top of promotions that might be specific to a certain market or particular dealer. Perhaps the Handspring offer qualifies for the service credit regardless of your status or history with Sprint, but I doubt it since it does stress "new" all over the place. It says nothing about upgrading to a Treo 300, which essentially is what you did, and for that, there are specific programs and offers in place like the $100 credit they offered you.

Experience has taught me however, that due to this poor customer service, if one reps says no, try, try again. I remember trying to get out of a contract with an AT&T rep and I tried every excuse in the book, but nothing worked. So, I hung up and called back and spoke with a different rep. It tooks all of 5 seconds to get out of the contact with no penalty!

I don't blame you for going the route you did since prior to your cancellation, they didn't explain to you about the 6 month period to be considered a new customer again, so it doesn't sound to me like you tried to scam them....you just went with a logical option that most people do when faced with the same situation....deactivate and open a new account. The only drawbacks they explained to you initially were acceptable to you, so why not have done it.

So anyway, good luck with your quest and let us know how you do!
    Dr Doom and Sprint TreoUser are wrong. No where on the promo page does it define a new activation as one which excludes returning customers less than 6 months.

It's not a scam, it's internal churn and sprint is benefitting from $35 (new) account activation fees, and two year contract.
    David
    Originally posted by joemiami21
    Hey I just ordered the phone yesterday, never thinking to call sprint to see if they would honor the deal! Do you think I should cancel my order and return the phone?

I am going to try to see if SPrint will honor it for me, I will keep you posted!
    I ordered the Treo on Sunday and it arrived yesterday. I called Sprint and activated the service. No problems. Just be sure to read the Handspring instructions and tell Sprint which two rebates you are entitled to.

N
    The way around this is to add the new Treo as a "second line" to your existing account. Wait a week and cancel the original Treo that is damaged. Sprint should then reimburse you for the $300 rebate.

When you sign a contract with Sprint and add a phone. You may add/cancel phones to the account w/o any penalties, but must always have one phone active during the one year agreement.
    Originally posted by drw
    Dr Doom and Sprint TreoUser are wrong. No where on the promo page does it define a new activation as one which excludes returning customers less than 6 months.

It's not a scam, it's internal churn and sprint is benefitting from $35 (new) account activation fees, and two year contract.
    You're right, it doesn't specifically mention the 6 month policy. However, it does say new activation only and that restrictions apply. Not being a new customer is a restriction. By your logic it should just say purchase a Treo 300 and receive a 300 service credit.

Internal churn? Maybe, considering Sprint is maintaining their customer. It is Handspring who loses because at $99, they are expecting a commission from Sprint for a new service activation. In this case, they would end up receiving nothing or a reduced amount depending on their contract with Sprint.
    Originally posted by sascher18
    The way around this is to add the new Treo as a "second line" to your existing account. Wait a week and cancel the original Treo that is damaged. Sprint should then reimburse you for the $300 rebate.

When you sign a contract with Sprint and add a phone. You may add/cancel phones to the account w/o any penalties, but must always have one phone active during the one year agreement.
    This could definitely work. This was how I instructed customers in the past to get around the same policy with AT&T. However, I advised them to wait 30 days because if it were less, AT&T would end up deactiving the new account and switching the service on the old account to the new phone and then re-classify it as an upgrade. The dealer would be the loser again because when this happened, AT&T would not commission the sale as a new activation to the dealer. Depending on the dealer too, the customer would then end up having their credit card charged as a penalty for the de-activation of the new phone since it was no longer a new activation.

If you try the add a line approach, I'd contact Sprint first and specifically ask how long a new activation must be on before shutting off a prior account would negate it being considered a new activation. It's probably longer than a week.
  15.    #15  
    It says nothing about being a new customer. It says for a new line of service. Any sane person reads that as a new phone line of service, aka a new number. So it should apply even if I kept my old account and just activated a new line a service--but just adding a phone to my existing account would not work. The old account is gone. I'm no longer a customer.

What was even more disturbing is the 3rd person I talked to, a supervisor, told me that the specific codes I told them were only for corporate or business customers, and if it was just for myself as a consumer, even if I never had sprint before, I still wouldn't get the credit! Given how incompetent they are, I will be shocked if Handspring gets them to honor the offer they sold me on. Either way, I am reporting them to the BBB and any other consumer rights agency I can find. Handspring is negligent in not even making it possible for their customers who take this deal to have access to the true, hidden terms of the agreement as Sprint is now saying. If I took this to small claims court I would win easily. Still, I imagine Handspring will just take the treo back if it comes to that. But I will make sure they pay for shipping.

This experience has severely soured me on both of these companies. Maybe I'll just get a Clie and a cheap phone with another company.
    Actually, any sane person would have realized by now that what they are trying to do was cheat the system and just move on. The purpose of the promo is to attract new customers, not reward "day old" customers such as yourself. Otherwise, Handspring would have a promo for existing Sprint customers to upgrade to a treo and receive a $300 service credit as well...just like they will have a specific incentive program aimed at current Treo owners to upgrade to a Treo 600. If you noticed, when you click on buy it on the promo page, the prices comes up at either $399 or $99 based on whether or not you check off having an existing plan or not. Handspring knows you will not get the $300 service credit if you don't meet the criteria, which is why they make this distinction.

Call it what you will, new activation or new line of service, either way your new activation or new line of service is not considered new until you have been without service for the required 6 months. Sprint/Handspring have covered themselves by stating "Offers vary by mobile service provider and require new service activation. Additional restrictions may apply."

As I already mentioned, this is similar with other activation related companies and services as well. Take a look at cable modem service. Right now they are giving 3 free months service with a new activation. If I apply your logic, I could activate, wait 3 months, de-activate and then starting again getting another 3 free months each time and never pay for service. However, no such luck. They too have a waiting period of several months before my activation would be considered "new" again and I would not receive 3 free months.

Try any cellular company you wish. They all have similar type policies.

Do you have another family member or friend with a different address you can activate under? If the upgrade incentive Handspring offers for current Treo users to upgrade to the 600 is not as good as the promo for a new activation, that is what I plan to do. I will de-activate and re-active under my gf's name and address and eliminate any of this BS.

As to why they're saying even a true new customer or activation won't get the credit, that's another issue and certainly annoying, but in this business, not unusual. All of these companies have issues with reps not being on top of all the promos that vary from dealer to dealer and market to market. Unfortunately, these rep jobs are low paying and have high turnover and as a result, customer service is poor and inconsistant.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser
    Actually, any sane person would have realized by now that what they are trying to do was cheat the system and just move on. The purpose of the promo is to attract new customers, not reward "day old" customers such as yourself.
    I don't believe this is cheating the system. As someone else mentioned, Sprint benefits by having the customer sign a new two-year contract. He'll probably pay higher rates because I believe the cost of Vision has increased.

And if you want to talk about "cheating", how about SMS not working as stated in the manual? We have to use third-party software, and then fight to have the cost reimbursed.

Call it what you will, new activation or new line of service, either way your new activation or new line of service is not considered new until you have been without service for the required 6 months.
    Is this 6 month waiting period documented anywhere in the offer?
    Originally posted by procure
    Is this 6 month waiting period documented anywhere in the offer?

From the bottom of the Handsrping page on the offer"

"* Offers vary by mobile service provider and require new service activation. "
    Whether or not one considers this cheating the system is not really the issue. The bottom line is that this is a promotion for new customers/new service activation and he did not meet those criteria. There is nothing anywhere in this promotion that is geared towards upgrading existing Sprint users. As mentioned above and in my previous post already, it is clearly stated on the Handspring site:

"Offers vary by mobile service provider and require new service activation. Additional restrictions may apply."

It would be naive to think that Sprint, or any other company, would not have policies and procedures in place to safeguard themselves against these situations.
    So I went away for awhile like you asked me to, and lo and behold, when I come back more of the same. If you get your credit from Sprint more power to you. You can sit on this thread and bemoan the level of incompetence at customer care all day long. NO ONE is going to argue with you. However, no matter what you and I are discussing here you sound like a very intelligent person. Having said that, you know, and I know, what you were trying to do. It didn't work initially. Call back and scream until it does, but don't tell me to go away because you know I'm right. You do not qualify for that credit, you were told you wouldn't get that credit, and now, because you're angry, Sprint and Handspring "LIED" to you. Maybe it's because I sell phones all day, but the wording of that ad is very clear to anyone who has ever dealt with a carrier before. In good faith it says "New or existing customers who activate a new line of service." Under your definition it should say this:

" Offer good for new or existing customers who are activating a new line of service, that they intend to use for one of the following:
    a) To give to another member of their household or any other such person that they feel inclined to pay for service for.
    b) To use as a "secondary" line for themselves in situations where the phone they currently have is not meeting their needs.
    c) To have an additional phone available as a resource for their household.

Offer excludes all of the following:
    a) To cancel current service so that customer can receive the benefit of paying "New" customer price as stated in current promotional materials.
    b) To allow customer to execute a "switcheroo"* with their current phone and the new line.
    c) To allow customer to cancel current line of service in one week after we, in good faith, have activated and applied the promotion.

*Visit our website for legal definition of term "switcheroo".
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast