Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well said DrRoom. I think you summed it up beautifully! I was in this business for 15 years and I am all too familiar with what goes on.
    Here is my take on the subject. The person did cancel their service with Sprint for the ability to get a deal on a new phone. But said person stated that he did not have a contract with Sprint but was on the month to month plan. So, it was well with in his rights to terminate the service at any time...unlike the people that take the 1 or 2 year agreements.

Now on to the deal...First line of Handsprings "details" page for the deal:

Now, for a limited time, when you buy a Treo 300 you can get a $300 credit on your first Sprint invoice when you activate a new PCS service plan with a two-year service contract.
    Since the person did activate a new PCS service contract, it would appear that he is entitled to the rebate. There is a lot of other fine print (i.e. what is listed as terms and conditions) on the page but nothing that I could see would disqualify the person from the rebate.

Is the person playing the system...yes. Did he do anything wrong based on what was posted on the Handspring web site....no. No where on the site did it talk about being a new customer of Sprint, or this is not valided if you were a customer, or anything else.

Note: My opinions are based on the information provided by the Handspring website only. They are subject to change when more information is presented.

Scott
  3.    #23  
    The main point here is that Handspring has told me repeatedly that indeed I do qualify for this and that I DO NOT have to be a new customer, just activate a new line of service. They said even if I hadn't cancelled my old account that I was no longer under contract to keep, I would qualify as long as it's a new line with a new phone number. So for those of you who think I'm trying to scheme my way into something, Handspring certainly doesn't think so, they think I am following their offer to the letter. It's a shame they're heavily promoting this, when Sprint reps seem to have no info about it. I hope they are run better once Palm takes them over. The schemers here are Sprint, who are also charging me a full months fee on my now dead phone despite it dying 3 days into the month--3 days during which I was in lake tahoe and had no service while my sister chatted away on her AT&T phone just fine. Ugh, maybe I should just go with AT&T!
  4.    #24  
    They did it! They got on the phone with Sprint, spoke to higher ups in both companies, then got me on the phone with a Sprint rep who not only applied the credit, but boosted my minutes, and let me keep my old phone number! I also still have nights and weekends that start at 8p.m. The guy was very nice and apologized for all the problems I had to go through. They couldn't however enroll me in the product insurance program, but I just have to call another number to do that. Now I hope my Treo doesn't have all the problems that others on these forums report. So far it's more stable than my Visor/Digital Link ever was.

If anyone else here has the same problems I had, and the 2nd Handspring rep today said indeed several per day do, stand up for your rights and make them honor the deal they are promoting.
    Good deal!

It sounds to me like Handspring may have been unaware of what Sprint considered a new activation. It's also possible that Handspring was not concerned about people doing with you did and that this was not communicated to the Sprint reps properly. But for whatever the reason, this was a Handspring promotion and right or wrong, they insisted to you that you are entitled to the credit and did the right thing in getting involved and helping you get the credit with Sprint.

Enjoy your Treo!

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jwsamuel

From the bottom of the Handsrping page on the offer"

"* Offers vary by mobile service provider and require new service activation. "
    That's nice, but my question was "Is this 6 month waiting period documented anywhere in the offer?" The original poster did sign up for new service, he meets the criteria you quoted.
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by procure

That's nice, but my question was "Is this 6 month waiting period documented anywhere in the offer?" The original poster did sign up for new service, he meets the criteria you quoted.
    No it wasn't, which is why Handspring insisted I was eligible. There's another link from the email they sent me after purchase which had a long list of fine print, none of which disqualified me. Even though that language about may vary by carrier may apply to other Treos, the 300 is Sprint only, so they provided me what they saw as all the details.

Everybody wins here. Even with the credit. Sprint will now instead of getting $0 from me over the next 2 years will get $60x24=$1440-300=$1140. With Vision and product insurance, they are getting $20 more a month than I was already paying.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser
    Whether or not one considers this cheating the system is not really the issue.
    The term "cheat" was originally brought up by you. We can drop it if you like.

The bottom line is that this is a promotion for new customers/new service activation and he did not meet those criteria. There is nothing anywhere in this promotion that is geared towards upgrading existing Sprint users.
    Yes, he did meet those criteria. The moment he cancelled his contract he ceased to be an existing Sprint customer.

As mentioned above and in my previous post already, it is clearly stated on the Handspring site:

"Offers vary by mobile service provider and require new service activation. Additional restrictions may apply."

It would be naive to think that Sprint, or any other company, would not have policies and procedures in place to safeguard themselves against these situations.
    Where are these policies and procedures documented? Were they made clear to the customer? Or is he supposed to be a mind reader? I agree that he's using a loophole to get a good deal, but Sprint did not explicitly exclude cancelling and reactivating, therefore they are at fault and should honor the service credit.
    It will be very interesting to see what (if anything) Sprint PCS does differently to retain existing customers once number portability hits. In the past, all the best deals were reserved for new customers. Now all the carriers are going to have to work hard to keep their best existing customers, many of whom are not willing to switch if it means giving up their number. Maybe us long-time customers will be able to get a sweet deal on the Treo 600 after all!
    Hey procure,

I'm not gonna keep going back on forth on the same points in this thread any longer...and many good ones have been brought up and discussed already, including yours. DrDoom and I, and perhaps some others in this thread, share a different perspective because he works in this industry and I worked in it for about 15 years. So, those of us sharing different opinions in this thread will just have to agree to disagree. Besides, I'm more interested in reading about the new 600!

In the end though, as I basically said to robguz24 already, Handspring followed through on their word to him and I'm glad they did.

Take care.
    Last edited by SprintTreoUser; 08/21/2003 at 06:24 PM.
    Sprint honored the full $300 rebate. My Treo is here and up and running, yet still waiting the two hours for it to fully connect to the network.

My tactic: I cancelled my old service which had no contract yesterday. My term expires in September 4. The guy was able to add the phone on as a "new service activiation" - notice I didn't say AND the website didn't say, "new customer", as a second line. The old phone will get shut off, and my Treo will remain on and become the primary.

After going through all this sh*t: Even though I got it to work, being on the phone for four hours and bartering with numerous representatives from various departments, I'm not sure if I would do it again!
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser
    Hey procure,

I'm not gonna keep going back on forth on the same points in this thread any longer...and many good ones have been brought up and discussed already, including yours. DrDoom and I, and perhaps some others in this thread, share a different perspective because he works in this industry and I worked in it for about 15 years. So, those of us sharing different opinions in this thread will just have to agree to disagree. Besides, I'm more interested in reading about the new 600!

In the end though, as I basically said to robguz24 already, Handspring followed through on their word to him and I'm glad they did.

Take care.
    Agreed. The guy got his service credit so I guess we don't need to keep arguing.
  13.    #33  
    10 hours after activation, the website says yes indeed I have vision, but my treo can't connect to the data network. When I recently set up my partner's new phone, vision worked within the hour. I was told today it would work within 2. Oh, well, back to calling Sprint yet again tomorrow.
    Try a soft reset.
    David
  15.    #35  
    Didn't work unfortunately, time to call Sprint.
  16.    #36  
    finally got fixed after a hard reset and several other steps from tech support. Wow, it is so much faster than the digitallink was!
    I was not an existing Sprint user but the deal worked for me, I got the full 300.00 rebate.

JCS
    Treo 300 with Sprint
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12