1) 400-500 mhz processor
    2) 64 - 128 MB memory
    3) sdio expansions slot
    4) 320 x 320 resolution
    5) gps and fax capable
    6) cdma/gprs/wifi - triband
    7) 65,000 colors
    8) video-conferencing camera
    9) voice activated dialing, websurfing, application launching - eliminates all hands!!
    10) voice-recorder. Can record phone conversations and convert them to text.
    11) rotoscreen / flip phone - 2 screens
    12) 10 hour talktime - possible via fuel cell battery?
    13) bluetooth/ wireless downloading, hot syncing and wireless battery charging.
    14)mp3 - connects to car stereo also via bluetooh
    15) $800.00 price w/ sprint rollover minutes. For more customer control of plan.
    Last edited by treobk214; 08/21/2003 at 12:20 AM.
    CDMA and GPRS? You want voice from one provider and data from another?
  3.    #4  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I mean two different versions of this phone - a cdma and gprs version. Also the new palm os on this unit would provide an application which alerts you if you are nearing the limit of your monthly minutes.
    you could also set how long you'd want the backlit keyboard to stay on, so you could type at night.
    thirdly, two screens - possible if you have a flip version- to view more than one web site at a time.
    you can receive calls while surfing the web and lastly, you could change the screen from color to greyscale to conserve battery power if in an emergency situation.
    Originally posted by treobk214

I mean two different versions of this phone - a cdma and gprs version. Also the new palm os on this unit would provide an application which alerts you if you are nearing the limit of your monthly minutes.
    you could also set how long you'd want the backlit keyboard to stay on, so you could type at night.
    thirdly, two screens - possible if you have a flip version- to view more than one web site at a time.
    you can receive calls while surfing the web and lastly, you could change the screen from color to greyscale to conserve battery power if in an emergency situation.
    Well, you can get applications for the Treo 270 and 300 that let you know how much data and how many minutes you've used. There's also one for timing the keyboard backlight.

As for receiving calls while surfing the web, that's a network issue and upgrading the hardware/software on the phone won't make a bit of difference.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Actually I wouldn't mind having a dual mode GSM/GPRS/CDMA2000 phone! Qualcomm already announced last year the availability of their MSM6500 chipset that supports CDMA2000 1X and CDMA2000 1xEV-DO standards, as well as roaming on GSM/GPRS systems. Heck the only standard this chip doesn't support is UMTS!! But I'm sure there will be other solutions that fullfill this functionality as well. Furthermore if you have such a phone, you can use an R-UIM similar to a SIM to store your subsriber info as you switch and roam from various networks. Such a solution would be the ultimate "world phone" and would be an absolute killer feature IMO. Combine this with a Treo and you have one fantastic device!

Sooo after saying all that... If I had to design my "dream" future "Treo 700", I would want everything on the the Treo 600 plus:

- Dual Mode CDMA 1xrtt/1xEvDo(v)/GSM/GPRS radio with R-UIM card
    - Intel X-scale 400 MHZ based Palm OS 6 (multitaskng, multithreading) device
    - 128 MB ram with M-System based DiskOnChip NAND storage up to 1 GB Internal Media!
    - TFT Transflective 320x320 screen (no more cstn BS)
    - minimum 1 MP integrated camera. (Heck Jphone is planning on release a 2 MP camera phone soon!) Perhaps even dual camera like the SE Z1010?
    - Dual Expansion SDIO or even SDIO + mini SD (I would be happy w/ the latter)
    - In addtion to Dual Mode cellular: integrated BT + Wifi. If Wanda can have it, why not the Treo?
    - Integrated Snaptrack snapcore GPS functionality with NMEA support
    - Integrated Sprint Ready Link "Push to talk" functionality
    - video conferencing capable
    - multimedia/mp3 etc and al those rest of the goodies
    - True SMS from Sprint
    - Huge (3000 mAh?) rechargeable, replaceable battery!
    - inexpensive 3rd party email solution (Visto etc?)
    - and I want all of this to fit into the same form factor and design of the Treo 600!!

Now how is that for a wish list!
    Last edited by Gaurav; 08/21/2003 at 08:50 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Actually I wouldn't mind having a dual mode GSM/GPRS/CDMA2000 phone! Qualcomm already announced last year the availability of their MSM6500 chipset that supports CDMA2000 1X and CDMA2000 1xEV-DO standards, as well as roaming on GSM/GPRS systems. Heck the only standard this chip doesn't support is UMTS!! But I'm sure there will be other solutions that fullfill this functionality as well. Furthermore if you have such a phone, you can use an R-UIM similar to a SIM to store your subsriber info as you switch and roam from various networks. Such a solution would be the ultimate "world phone" and would be an absolute killer feature IMO. Combine this with a Treo and you have one fantastic device!
    - Huge (3000 mAh?) rechargeable, replaceable battery!
    -

Sooo after saying all that... If I had to design my "dream" future "Treo 700", I would want everything on the the Treo 600 plus:

- Dual Mode CDMA 1xrtt/1xEvDo(v)/GSM/GPRS radio with R-UIM card
    - Intel X-scale 400 MHZ based Palm OS 6 (multitaskng, multithreading) device
    - 128 MB ram with M-System based DiskOnChip NAND storage up to 1 GB!
    - TFT Transflective 320x320 screen (no more cstn BS)
    - minimum 1 MP integrated camera. (Heck Jphone is planning on release a 2 MP camera phone soon!) Perhaps even dual camera like the SE Z1010?
    - Dual Expansion SDIO or even SDIO + mini SD (I would be happy w/ the latter)
    - In addtion to Dual Mode cellular: integrated BT + Wifi. If Wanda can have it, why not the Treo?
    - Integrated Snaptrack snapcore GPS functionality with NMEA support
    - Integrated Sprint Ready Link "Push to talk" functionality
    - video conferencing capable
    - multimedia/mp3 etc and al those rest of the goodies
    - True SMS from Sprint
    - inexpensive 3rd party email solution (Visto etc?)
    - and I want all of this to fit into the same form factor and design of the Treo 600!!

Now how is that for a wish list!
    Damn it, you went and made me drool all over my keyboard...
  7.    #8  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Damn it, you went and made me drool all over my keyboard...
    if this type of unit can be designed, it would outpertorm sony, samsung and nokia. One killer treo! Now let's wait and see if anyone was listening!
    Originally posted by treobk214

if this type of unit can be designed, it would outpertorm sony, samsung and nokia. One killer treo! Now let's wait and see if anyone was listening!
    Unfortunately, I doubt we'll see anything close this for a very long time. Afterall, it was only a dream Treo 700. Also, I doubt head honchos at Handspring, PalmOne or whatever read these forums anyway. I think JakeE's "Wizard of Palm" thread is a testament to that!

Anyway... to be honest, I would be happy if PalmOne just released a Treo600 with integrated BT and a 320x320 screen within a year or so. I think those predictions are sufficiently low enough to warrant hope...perhaps.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9.    #10  
    I agree. Those two additions would be dynamite by themselves. Just having bluetooth functionality alone opens up great possibilities.
    well, I'd love to see palmone renovate the treo600 original plan too. My personal opinion, is jeff hawkins is awful with personal relations. He has to be if he is was rude as he was with jake. If he can't relate with people, he can't possibly establish good marketing opportunities- and I think that is part of why handspring nearly failed. I may be wrong, but it sounded to me like he is a bit socially inept - jeff hawkins that is.
    WE are his customer base!!!
  10. purpleX
    Oh btw, there is already a phone with VGA screen. (about 2 inch I think, lost my link)

OLED screen also starts showing up in QVGA size.
    I am on the same page as you, here is my signature from over at Brighthand:

Gimme a smartphone that blends Palm OS 5 and Symbian. Start with Palm OS 5 as well as at least 64 MB of RAM and expansion slot. Give it a form factor like the LG KH5000 or Samsung SGH-D700. Its gotta support R-UIM and be tri-mode (Wi-Fi for voice over IP, GSM/EDGE, and CDMA2000) and at least dual band (850,1900). Toss in Bluetooth 1.2, speakerphone, 262K color 320x320 TFT screen, and high-resolution camera for both still and video.

From Symbian: Profiles (can be from 3rd party apps like Series 60), including radio off, are a must. I do love UIQ's Jotter app (which is not the same as Jot/Graffiti 2, as well as the native removable media support and support for Opera browser.

I'd pay 2000USD for a custom one 8-)
  12.    #13  
    Its great to find others with like ideas. That blueprint sounds fantastic! I think we are about 2 years away from seeing these plans become reality.
    maybe not though - if enough people express interest in the combination of these types of specs, then companies like samsung, microsoft, sony or even dell may enter into this arena and test the market demand. The cost of such a zen phone could be skyhigh, however, and it will be challenging to find a way to do it economically. This, hopefully, is where dell could come in. We'll see though.
    palmone may give it a shot - I'd love to see them be the ones to do it, but they are notorious for charging premiums for their devices. Time will tell.
    Gadgets are for enthusiasts, like many of us, and the problem here is we are not a majority in the market. The trick will be in making
    yours and my ideas appeal to both enthusiasts as well as the business enterprises.
    between you and me,though, with designs such as these, I think we can.
    Here is my "artist's rendition" of the new Treo 700...
    Attached Images Attached Images
  14.    #15  
    Tcc - best idea to date, brotha!!!
    I stand corrected! And speechless!!
    Originally posted by tcc
    that will never sell, no bluetooth.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    On the contrary - unlike ALL the prior TREOs they'll undoubtedly be able to price it right and, given the ever-increasing virii and worms targetting the PalmOS, it appears instead to be HIGHLY secure!

It'll sell a gajillion!
  17. purpleX
    Originally posted by tcc
    blasphemy! no thumboard.
    Many of you will remember the mockups I created a while back. For those of you have already seen them, feel free to ignore this post. For those that haven't, you can check them out here:
    http://www.hipnetic.com/geek/

I'm particularly partial to this one:
    http://www.hipnetic.com/geek/treo_new2.gif

I like that one because the screen is very high res while still keeping a fairly small form-factor. It's basically a smaller Palm OS version of the old Nokia Communicator. One modification I'd make to my design would be to replace the up/down button which is available when in closed "phone mode" with a mini joystick or directional pad.

For those of you who are especially bored, you can check out the thread I started about my mockups a while back here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ht=mockup.html

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Eldar over at Mobile review discussed how the rotating screen form factor will become important with future hybrids. The rotating screen like the Samsung P-408 will be the ideal solution becuase currently, Kyo 7135, SamSung i500....they lost the PDA feel. and the i700, P800 type lose the phone feel. If some hard buttons are placed near the earpiece on the main screen of the phone, then..essentially you can get a T|T when you rotate the screen and close it. PDA type form factor.

I hope it won't be two years, I'm not a huge fan of 2 devices
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast