1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I'm a Sony Ericsson P800 user and have never owned a Treo. And although the P800 has everything the Treo 600 has in terms of features, I'm finding it cumbersome at times to use a stylus for text input.

So this has brought me to take a closer look at the Treo 600 with it's QWERTY thumb board. The problem is that I'm from Scandinavia and we have 3 more letters in our alphabet ( ). In the P800 this problem is solved by having those 3 letters in the numeric line of the virtual keyboard (see screenshot attached to this post). Thus my question to you; is there any way of assigning those 3 special characters to the buttons on the thumb board of the Treo? - Like perhaps a combination of key strokes or something. Maybe there is a third party app that will let me do this?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thank you,

-Ares
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have trouble figuring out why no one has answered your question. I quote from the Treo 270 manual:

---------Begin long quote-----------------

Typing accented characters:

The ListType feature enables you to enter accented characters. You can enter the following
    accented letters:

To enter accented characters:
    1. Type the letter (uppercase or lowercase) to which you want to add an accent.
    2. Press ListType .
    3. Use the scroll buttons to select the accent you want to apply.
    4. Press Space to insert the accented character.
    Tip: You can also select the accented character you want to insert by repeatedly pressing ListType .

Typing extended characters

The ListType feature also enables you to enter many extended characters that are not on the
    keyboard, such as currency symbols and emoticons. Extended characters are often found under
    related characters. For example, the symbol is located under $.
    To enter extended characters:
    1. Position the cursor where you want to insert the extended character.
    2. Type the base character associated with the extended character you want to insert:
    Tip: To view a list of available accented and symbol characters, press Menu and under Edit select Keyboard Help (/G).

-----------End long quote.------------------------------

This feature covers all of the characters that you asked about. While one cannot guarantee that this 270 feature will be included in the 600, I would certainly be surprised that, having once solved your problem, Handspring would fail to include it in their premier product.
    Hi whmurray,

If I could just add something.

One problem the Treo SMS software suffers from is the inability to send 8bit characters (Scandanavian characters are ok).

I receive a message that my message contains invalid characters when I try and send an SMS with an - the message is finally sent but the 'invalid' characters are removed. Odd because is used in French all the time.

HS have acknowledged this 'feature' but have no plans to remedy it until they launch a new Treo... bring on the 600
    www.gsmworld.com
    Hi ,
    there is a Russian company that for years its main role is to translate the PALM platform into other languages

http://palm.penreader.com/index.html

I use the Greek version of the software for my 270 TREO and it works fine.
    I use the Fn+Space combination key to exchange between languages.

Hopefully I was helpful.

Christopher
    katris
    In other words, it is not simply the KB features of the Treo that are relevant to this problem but also that it uses the Palm OS. I find lots of Palm features that add greatly to the value of my Treo.
    As you can find in the attached snapshots from Treo 600 gms user manual (pages 22 23 & 24) the new model does support special characters.
    Table:
  8.    #8  
    Thank you all for your replies, you've been most helpful. I feel better now. I also found this interesting piece of software on Handango.

Now I'm going to have to think long and hard about giving up on screen size and the excellent Symbian OS/UIQ interface.

Best regards,

Ares
    Unfortunately, PILoc only works with GSM Treos. There are no cyrillic localization programs that I've found that work on the 300.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by katris
    Hi ,
    there is a Russian company that for years its main role is to translate the PALM platform into other languages

http://palm.penreader.com/index.html

I use the Greek version of the software for my 270 TREO and it works fine.
    I use the Fn+Space combination key to exchange between languages.

Hopefully I was helpful.

Christopher
    I tried to answer, but kept getting distracted by your avatar. Is that a demonstration of "safe sex"?
  11.    #11  
    Yes, that's exactly what it is.

But apparently one of the mods found the cute little animation to be too vulgar for this forum...