1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 300 and am thinking of getting a new phone. With the upcoming 600 I can't decide if I should wait for it or get a Tungsten. Here are some of my reasons for changing...

1. Getting back with AT&T would be nice
    2. Tired of flip phone
    3. Tired of fragile phone

What do you think? What advice would you give me based on what you know about the two options?

Thanks in advance.
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    I think you'll get even more tired of having to use a wired headset/earpiece everytime you need to use the phone with the Tungsten.
    It really depends what you want. Do you want a highly funtional pda that you can occasionall y use as a phone (tungsten) or a moderaetly good pda that is a highly functional phone? Personally I would pick the phone, as that is wat I priamraily use my T300 for, although I love the pda features. However, If you wanted a very powerful phone with a kind of pathetic palm I would suggest the Kyocera 7135. The T600 is right in the middle, which makes it highly the best choice. I love my treo 300 and believe that it is a very useful tool, and I eagerly await the Treo 600.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
  4.    #4  
    Great advice/insights. I definitely like the 300 and am more of a phone user than PDA...I guess my big hang up is being tied to Sprint. I had AT&T for over 6 years and it's been quite a change this past year working with Sprint. I guess I was hopeful that there would be an AT&T Palm-based PDA option.

Thanks again.
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    AT&T will offer a GSM version of the 600 roughly a month after the Sprint verison of the 600 comes out.
    This has been stated in numerous websites such as phonescoop, etc. and is from Handspring reps.
    I want to ask about the "Getting back with AT&T would be nice" comment.

Doesn't AT&T charge a fortune for its data plans? Being with them might be nice -- but at what cost? Maybe they've lowered their prices, but last I checked they were charging a LOT more than Sprint's Unlimited Vision.
  7.    #7  
    Wow - I didn't realize that AT&T was much more expensive - I'll check into that with my corporate account contact. I was speaking more from a customer service and functionality standpoint. We have an option here in our office to link our office phone number so that it rings on both our office phones and our AT&T cell phones. Makes things easier!

Thanks for the input. I really do appreciate it.
    J.
    I am a Sprint user who switched from AT&T. I am writing this on a Samsung 330I. Sprints "Vision" plan is great. Only 10 bucks a month for all the internet you can eat. AT&T data plans are too expensive for me. I am really looking forward to the Treo 600. It looks like the same form factor as my 330 I (perhaps a touch wider) but a lot more features.
    I was an ATT customer about 3.5 years ago. I found their coverage in Atlanta to be very spotty. Back then it was all TDMA and no DATA service in Atlanta. I have been reading lately of ATT (and Cingular) changing their network to GSM with GPRS. Anyone know how the buildout is going, in Atlanta, in the southeast and around the country? How will their network footprint compare to Sprint? Now? in the next few years?

I like Sprint's network (more buildout in meto Atlanta would be nice), but hate their customer service.

Since the Treo600 will be both CDMA and GSM, with the possibility of ATT picking this baby up.... it has me wondering.

Has ATT improved over the past 3 yrs? Is their data service as good as Sprint? I have a vision laptop card it is is very fast and very consistant, with speeds upwards of 120K most of the time. It does not replace my T1, but it has allowed me to cancel my dial up account.

What do you guys think?
    Carl
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Palm said when the Tungsten W was released that they would have a flip adapter in a couple of months. It would attach to the unit and somehow plug into the headset jack so you didn't have to use the headset all the time. Sounded like a GREAT thing to me, but its never come to fruition. Oh well.

Joe
    I looked really seriously at the Tungsten W. It has some great features. Things I really like:

- High Resolution Screen -- this is beautiful, and I really want 320x320. It seems like almost a "must have" for web browsing. When using the Tungsten C wirelessly at CompUSA, web pages are actually readable, and look incredible

- Layout / Keyboard -- OK, this isn't perfect, but it works for me. I like the new Treo 600 layout, but the Tungsten W works for me too. It is bigger, for sure, but the keyboard feels nice and the whole layout generally is pretty effective in my book.

However, when you look at the negatives, you see they are pretty compelling reasons NOT to get a Tungsten W:

- 33Mhz Processor Speed -- The Tungsten W has been described by some as "the slowest Palm EVER." You have a super slow processor driving a high resolution screen. Not a good combination. Plus, without a faster ARM processor you can't do all the media type applications that so many of us want to do. All in all, I think the processor speed is a killer.

- Palm OS 4.1 -- HELLO!?! What the hell was Palm thinking? I've heard that this was for battery life. However, who wants a Palm OS 4.1 device?

- No Microphone -- This really isn't a phone device like a Treo 300, Samsung (or is it Samsonite?) I500, or other phone. This is a Palm with a Mic jack. And that sucks. I want a phone I can hold up to my head at a moments notice, and use. And with this phone I can't...

- AT&T Data Plans -- The AT&T Data plans suck. They are expensive, and they don't seem intent on making them accessible to those of use who aren't stupid (or important...) enough to need a $120 per month data plan. Also -- what the hell was Palm thinking ONLY selling this to AT&T? Absolute stupidity. Make your stupid phone work for MULTIPLE providers and *maybe* you'll sell a few more ;-).

So basically, the negatives (which are huge negatives) more than outweigh the few positives of the Tungsten W. I can't see buying one of these. If I really needed a PDA / Phone now, I'd probably opt for the Treo 300 or 270 at a steep discount.

For me, my new firm pays for PDAs, so I'm going to have them buy me a Treo 600. The only IRK factor on the Treo 600 is the stupid low resolution camera, which has the potential to keep me out of the federal courts here in Seattle, which is a big issue (and where I currently work). Time will tell is Court Security makes an issue of it. I can say this -- I brought a camera to work two weeks ago for a big "shindig" at one of the Judge's homes, and Court Security just about had kittens. It almost took a note from a Federal District Judge to get me in the door... so no telling how they'll react to the Treo 600.

-----------------

Just checked the AT&T Wireless page. Data Plans start at $7.99 per month for 1 Megabyte, and range up to $99.99 per month for Unlimited. Ouch.
    Last edited by Brianp; 08/21/2003 at 09:46 AM.
    Originally posted by quake97
    Palm said when the Tungsten W was released that they would have a flip adapter in a couple of months. It would attach to the unit and somehow plug into the headset jack so you didn't have to use the headset all the time. Sounded like a GREAT thing to me, but its never come to fruition. Oh well.

Joe
    http://www.ternarytechnologies.com/index.asp

Not from Palm, but it appears to be available.