1.    #1  
    Treo Central is reporting some difficulties with TC Ringer's store, so I turned to Ringo as an alternative today.

If I understand their demo correctly, you cannot assign polyphonic ringtones to individuals on the 300. When I try to assign individual ring-tones it directs me to the monophonic and rather silly beeping sounds that are standard on the 300.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Is there an alternative to either TC Ringer or Ringo as a tone manager that is good for the 300 and plays polyphonic tones? I'm willing to pay for it.

Anyone have more news about TC Ringer istself?

Thanks.

Taylor
    I have Ringo installed, and it plays different polyphonic tunes that I can assign to individuals, so that way I know who's calling.

I know some people report trouble with Ringo, but I don't have a lot of other third party apps installed, so I have no problem with it.
    Cluemeister
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. I hate to ask the obvious, but you're a 300 user, right?

Here's what their web site description says:

Ringo for Handspring Treo Communicator
    Ringo is the ultimate personalization tool for the Handspring Treo Communicator. Ringo offers Treo users the ability to personalize their communicator in a number of exciting ways:

Create and manage your own ringtone library
    Compose and share new ringtones
    Convert 1000's of tunes into ringtones
    Display fun icons and photos for callers and groups

Treo 180 & Treo 270 only...
    COLOR=orangered]Treo 180 and Treo 270 Only[/COLOR]

Set a personal ringtone for callers and groups

[
    Yes, I am a treo 300 user.

As to assigning individual rings to callers, (my brother is the Simpsons tune, wife is "hello honey" tune, etc.) I go to the speed dial page and choose "edit speed dial buttons" You are then given a choice to enable a unique ring for that caller, and you choose a ringtone from the list.

You can also assign pictures or icons to incoming calls. So in addition to a custom ring, you could have a picture of just about anything appear on the screen at the same time.

Cluemeister
    I just paid to install Ringo in my Treo 300 and found that I was able to assign some individual rings to my speed dial list -- but was able to access only the 3 rings that I had assigned to "Known Callers" "Unknown Callers" and "Roaming Tone" in Ringer Prefs. The rest of the tones that I downloaded were unavailable in the Edit Speed Dial - Enable Unique Ring list. I feel ripped off.

Does anyone know how to replace the useless bleeps and knocks that are part of the "21 tones" that come with Treo 300?
  6.    #6  
    I was able to continually "re-add" from Ringo a series of polyphonic tones I'd downloaded. I found that if I continually readded them a couople of times they began to replace the beep tones that are the 300 default.

I have no explanation for this and found the Ringo interface to be very complicated.

However, I did finally get it to work and now have indivualized tones (polyphonic cool ones) for various groups AND for individuals in my quck-dial pad on the treo.

I'm not sure I could explain what I did but e-mail me if you want more information.

Taylor
    I would like to know what you did to make the polyphonic tones show up in a chooser list for the individuals. I have tried and tried and still end up with only 3 tones via Ringo. I'm trying to get a refund from them and try TC Ringer.
    Ringo works great with me. If you have a problem maybe you should try contacting them?
    --Icy--
    I have tried to contact Ringo a couple of times but have yet to hear back from them. In my Treo 300 (is that what you have?) I can't get Ringo to let me assign individual ringtones to people in my speed-dial except for the three tones I choose for Known, Unknown and Roaming calls in the main tones menu. If you know of a way to get around this problem, please let me know. The tones that I have downloaded simply don't show in the drop down menu when I go to choose an individual tone and there is not even an option for assigning certain groups to ring.

I just downloaded TC Ringer and am much happier with it. Also the polyphonic tones sound great.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by andrine
    I have tried to contact Ringo a couple of times but have yet to hear back from them. In my Treo 300 (is that what you have?) I can't get Ringo to let me assign individual ringtones to people in my speed-dial except for the three tones I choose for Known, Unknown and Roaming calls in the main tones menu. If you know of a way to get around this problem, please let me know. The tones that I have downloaded simply don't show in the drop down menu when I go to choose an individual tone and there is not even an option for assigning certain groups to ring.

I just downloaded TC Ringer and am much happier with it. Also the polyphonic tones sound great.
    [/QUOTE

Yes i have a Treo 300...have you tried adding the ringtones you wanted to assign to you personal ringtones folder?
    --Icy--
    yes. I believe I did assign ringtones to the personal ringtones folder, which is why I was able to use the ringtones for the main rings (otherwise I wouldn't have been able to use them at all). is there another way to assign ringtones to a different folder that wasn't outlined in the instructions? I followed the Ringo instructions but kept running into the problem of not being able to assign personal ringtones to individuals beside the 3 tones that I use for the main rings. They simply don't appear in the menu.