1. purpleX
    If that claim is based on IDC definition of 'convergence', It's just a statistical play. It really doesn't say anything, in fact it might be counting dolphines as fish too.

1. is a multi network capable PDA a converged device or a wireless?
    2. Is a high end Nokia smartphone really a 'converged' device or merely a phone with browser and email capability?
    3. If the rumored HP's phone attachment + PDA concept is ture, will this type of device be a PDA or a convergence?
    4.is Voip capable PDA a converged device or not? how about if it can connect to phone network?

My gut feeling:
    -A converged device should be defined as a wireless capable device that one can have softwares installed. This way a high end nokia phone that can only do SMS, email and web browser is not really a converged device. Most Java phone will be a borderline convergence device too since it almost has no application saves a handfull of games and rudimentary email/browser/PIM apps.

-Any PDA with voice via wireless capability will automatically be a converged device. (but who knows how to count WiFi capable PDA with so many SD/CF card floating around)

- convergence is about data and voice, not Voice with a couple gimmicky email and web apps. So Nokia claims about having the biggest number of convergence device as show in that statistic might be pretty dubious.
    Amazingly, I have to agree the purp1e Ska Man. The definition of a converged device is certainly a difficult one - I guess if you take it literally, it means the ability to do more than one thing. That's very broad, and if we try and narrow down to our space, I also don't think a Nokia that can do SMS/MMS (guess we should change that to XMS), phone, email and nothing else would really qualify as a converged device. That would change their numbers, for sure.
    So then, what is a converged device? Palm-OS based phones, MS Smartphone ones - what else? How about Wi-Fi ones like the Tungsten W? hmm - lots of choices out there to make this a lively debate...
    I think for a device to be classified as "converged" or a "smartphone" etc., it needs to have a "real" open OS like Palm, Symbian, PPC, Linux well integrated with a phone part.

In that respect, the Nokia's running Symbian (92xx/3650/7650/6600) should be considered converged because they have an open OS with the ability to install additional software. Nokia's solely having Java as the only way of installing software should NOT be considered converged because Java is a very limited programming language, and nothing like Symbian's C++. Besides, Java is not an operating system.

Nokia have sold millions of their Symbian Series 60 phones (3650/7650)which therefore makes them a huge part of the "converged" market. M$ smartphones (Orange SPV etc.) is also a part of this, but is a considerably smaller player with like 4-5%.

In regards to smartphones/converged devices, Symbian is the biggest player with the backing of Nokia as well as other major mobile phone manufacturers like Sony Ericsson and Siemens etc.

Palm and M$ may become bigger in this market than they currently are, but I think Symbian will rule this market for quite some time still - may depend on the amount of $$$ M$ are willing to invest to become the #1 player. Symbian is not only popular because Nokia and Sony Ericsson are major shareholders, but also because of it's user-friendliness and stability. Symbian - formerly known as EPOC.

PDA's with a GSM/GPRS sleeve or whatever should not be considered a converged device or a smartphone, because there's no real integration between the phone and PDA part there. The Tungsten W is on the border line...

-In my humble opinion.

Originally posted by purpleX
    If that claim is based on IDC definition of 'convergence', It's just a statistical play. It really doesn't say anything, in fact it might be counting dolphines as fish too.
    What's this? Constructive comments from SKA! Oh well, I'm sure we'll see the old Ska sure enough!

Anyway, I have to tend to agree with purple's general assestment here. I think IDC is complicating things by using terms like convergence with out realizing that it may mean many things. Afterall, isn't also the Garmin iQue 3600 a convergence device even though the wireless funcitonality it has is GPS?! IMO, convergence is acutally a spectrum of various kinds of functionality, not just the traditional sense of a "smartphone". If you recall Ska (vispi), we had a similar discussion on this before in this thread over at brighthand, but you didn't agree with me at that time! (Btw, did you get banned from there or what?) IMHO, when one refers to convergence there should be a spectrum of functonality b/c any one type of convergence won't fit everyone's needs the same. Thus maybe we should categorize convergence into something liek this:

-Phone-centric smartphone devices (Treo600, SPV etc)
    -Data input-centric smartphone devices (T|W, BB, Hiptop)
    -PDA-centric connected devices (i700, MDA, Wanda)
    -mixed/miscellaneous solutions (iQue, hp4100?)
    -wireless pda's (Mio558, T|C etc)
    -two device solution or addon wireless

In the end, I think the IDC report is more accurate when they say there is a "bleak Future for the Unconnected PDA's." I personally could not imagine ever purchasing another handheld device without some form integrated wireless functionality...

However having said all this, I agree that the smartphone market will be incredibly huge when compared to traditional pda's. The plain truth is that the pda market has matured and total shipment sales have pretty much platoed about 14-15 million units. On the other hand many analysts are predicting 40 million smartphone shiptments by 2004 and the eventuality of smartphones becoming the majority of worldwide handset shipments (>350 million min) by the end of the decade. The pda industry is just plain puny in comparison! Of course, that doesn't mean that pda's will go the way of dinosaurs. IMO, there will always be traditonal pdas just like TV didn't mean the end of radio. But it will not be the most lucrative and largest market. I think once you realize this, Palm's acquisition of Handspring becomes more clear...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions