Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    My desktop computer crashed! And I have to reformat it and lose my data. Luckily my treo 300 is safe. But I would love to have a step by step process to make sure I can get the data back on the desktop when I synch it back. I dont want the blank desktop to erase my handheld! Any step by step help??? Thanks!!!
    Originally posted by amakh007
    My desktop computer crashed! And I have to reformat it and lose my data. Luckily my treo 300 is safe. But I would love to have a step by step process to make sure I can get the data back on the desktop when I synch it back. I dont want the blank desktop to erase my handheld! Any step by step help??? Thanks!!!
    I am not sure if the Treo software is any different from the regular Palm OS as my Treo has not yet arrived. But here's how to do it with the Palm OS.

Install the desktop software. When you are done, but have not yet syched the Treo to the desktop software, go to you menu and click on the menu items to configure hot synch. When you get there, you'll have three choices: "Synchronize," "Desktop overwrites handheld" and Handheld overwrites Desktop."

Make sure you set it to have the handheld overwrite the desktop and synch. That will copy your data from the Treo onto your PC without deleting anything from the Treo.

After that, you can change it back to synchronize.
    what I usually do is create a dummy account (test) when the software asks and just sync the handheld after the install.

the desktop will create the account from the device and transfer everything over.

Then you should re-install all your conduits.

You can delete the dummy account after the first sync.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.