1.    #1  
    Hey, call me crazy but I'm playing basketball not to long ago and I hear someones cellphone playing a midi ringtone, but check this out...it's play words also. Has anyone heard anything about this before and if they have has anyone thought of a way to throw em on the Treo's?? Thanks.
    Was it an actual song being sung? If so, then it wasn't MIDI. It might have been part of an MP3 playing. MIDI consists of sampled intrument sounds that have been put together to form a melody.

MP3 is actual captured real-world sound that has been converted to a digital format and mathematically compressed. MP3 requires more processing power because it has to be decompressed on the fly while played. A full MP3 music file for a complete song is typically between 3 and 5 megabytes (MB) in size. A MIDI file with a few sampled instruments will only be about 30K (less than 100th the size).

Note, however, MIDI's sampled instruments can also include a sampling of somone's voice, but it will only be a short phrase or perhaps a single word. So if you heard a whole song being sung then it was NOT MIDI. It was probably an MP3. Which would mean that the individual's phone is somewhat more advanced than your average cell phone.

Hope that helps.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I believe the Kyocera 6035 and 7135 use wav files as ringers. If that's the case, that could easily explain how you heard a song being sung. But like Insp_Gadget said, a midi is made up of sampled instrument sounds that is put together and not an actual recording.
    It was probably a QCP file. That is either a wav or mp3 file converted into a much smaller mhz and file size. The sound isn't as good in quality but it's for a ringer and not noticable in the short amount of time it is played.
    I have tried to download some qcp files but it tells me that the files are not supported.. can some one please help...
    i agree, it's not midi. i have been playing with ringtones for 2 years now on the treo. i have tried programs that were supposed to convert mp3's or wav's into midi, and they don't work at all for treo purposes. what you heard was almost certainly either mp3 or wav.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsito
    I have tried to download some qcp files but it tells me that the files are not supported.. can some one please help...
    The Treo 600 does not use qcp's. You can download one of several programs that will use mp3s as ringers.
    Quote Originally Posted by lb505
    The Treo 600 does not use qcp's. You can download one of several programs that will use mp3s as ringers.
    i was guessing he was talking about a treo300 since this is the 300 section, but i guess ya never know...

(believe it or not, some of us still use our 300's. in fact i'm still on my original one, and it's over 2 years old! is that some sort of record? my kids seem to need a new phone about every 3 months! )
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Ahh, didn't even notice where he posted but I think he has a 600 anyway. He's been posting questions about a Treo 600 (by name) in other threads. But just in case, does the 300 play qcp's?
    no, the 300 plays PDB's which contain midi files. you can work with the midi files themselves if you are good with palm midi desktop. the files also need to be below 10k and 12-15 seconds long... (shameless plug - i have been working with treo ringtones a while now... http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...0&platformId=1