Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    A few months ago, I tried a few alternatives to the Blazer browser and didn't get many warm & fuzzy feelings.

I believe the two I tried were iPanel (.prc dated 4-17-03) and Xinno ver 1.09e. I'm just looking for more features like Javascript and HTTPS, required by some of the sites I frequent.

Here's a browser that looks good:

http://reqwireless.com/webviewer.html

Excerpt: Reqwireless WebViewer is the fastest, smallest microbrowser available. (Why?) It's designed to work on MIDP 1.0 devices, including the following: ...

But the Treo ins't mentioned... :-(
    you're right. It's a good-looking browser. I know the treo isn't listed, but what if we download it anyway and give it a shot?
    Originally posted by treobk214
    you're right. It's a good-looking browser. I know the treo isn't listed, but what if we download it anyway and give it a shot?
    Can't hurt. Just doing a hotsync to back everything up just in case it fouls the system up and you would need to do a hard reset.
    Note that Handspring said that the carriers do not like to support the proxy servers necessary for the original Blazer browser (the new Blazer for the TREO 600 et al does not use proxy servers).

As such, IMHO, a prudent person would assume that the proxy servers will be going away "soon" and/or be centralized at Handspring itself in the not-so-distant future, THEN going away "soon".

Caveat Emptor and all that...
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Originally posted by treobk214
    Does it require Java or what??
    I believe that browser (reqwireless sp?) does indeed require midp to be installed. There is no "official" version of MIDP for the TREO though you can get a beta of MIDP4Palm off the Sun web site.

Actually it was more of a proof-of-concept than a beta. In any case you'll be very unhappy with the performance and the memory management of that version of Java so in a nutshell I'd bag it.

Good news though, IBMs WME (Java) for Palm is licensed by palmone for OS5 (or will be shortly) so the new Treo *may* come with it installed.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor

As such, IMHO, a prudent person would assume that the proxy servers will be going away "soon" and/or be centralized at Handspring itself in the not-so-distant future, THEN going away "soon".

Caveat Emptor and all that...
    What are you saying? Blazer will stop working on all existing phones?

Can't see that happening
    > What are you saying? Blazer will stop working on all existing
    > phones? ...

Yes, either that or that the Blazer proxy servers will continue to work for some time but with decreasing availability/throughput, THEN stop working.
    So is someone going to try this software for the benefit of the rest of us, or not?

I'm anxious for an alternative too!

Thanks.
    Originally posted by Alfisti
    So is someone going to try this software for the benefit of the rest of us, or not?

I'm anxious for an alternative too!

Thanks.
    So go ahead and give it a try.
    ...but after some quick tests I'm not impressed. As expected it is indeed very slow, probably due to the MIDP 1.0 implementation.

Also, the browser doesn't seem to cache anything, which s*cks of course.

I'll do some more testing and let you know the results - maybe I'll keep it on my 270 for when I urgently need to access a site that Blazer doesn't support.
    So after submitting the post above I tried accessing treo.treocentral.com because I wanted to test support for cookies.

However...

Error
    This trial version enforces a limited number of accesses per day, and you have exceeded the daily limit. Purchase the full version of this product at www.reqwireless.com for unlimited usage."

I think I had viewed no more than 10 pages. And the trial version expires in 10 days anyway. What's up with that?

Needless to say that I've deleted the .prc the very next minute.
    I was too chicken sh**t to try it!

Thanks for testing it out. It does not sound like a winner. Back to Xinio....

Thanks.
    Did javascript work? Or did you not get a chance to trY?
    How can I install this if it is a java file and not a prc... And I call myself a programmer.
    It had already locked itself before I had a chance to try javascript.

The MIDP comes with a utility to convert the jar to a prc. If I remember correctly you have a to edit one of the reqwireless files so that it points to your local file instead of trying to download it. I can't check because I was so PO that I deleted everything.
    Where do I get MIDP??
    MIDP for Palm OS

Or google on midp palm ...
    I just found another VM for Palm. Haven't tried it but maybe it's more stable and faster than the Sun VM.

SuperWaba
    I did not scroll all above posts, I just want to say it clearly and loudly: Xiino. There is no any browser come close to it. I used Reqwireless etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast