1.    #1  
    During the last year there has really been scant little support of the Treo 300.

Handspring failed to really fix any of the problems with the phone...including pretty major design flaws like the very fragile hinge and the battery drain problem.s

So, while the 600 may look like a decent solution when the inevitable bugs crop up...can we expect any better performance in the support area? I'm not talking about adding features, but basically fixing significant problems before they basically abandon the device in favor of working on the next model.

...ken
    Originally posted by kschoenberg
    During the last year there has really been scant little support of the Treo 300.

Handspring failed to really fix any of the problems with the phone...including pretty major design flaws like the very fragile hinge and the battery drain problem.s

So, while the 600 may look like a decent solution when the inevitable bugs crop up...can we expect any better performance in the support area? I'm not talking about adding features, but basically fixing significant problems before they basically abandon the device in favor of working on the next model.

...ken
    Well as far as the hinge, short of replacing EVERYONE'S Treo, how else would you go about solving this issue.. which is not an ISSUE for most people.. my hinge has been fine... I am not abusive with my treo and it is cased.

As far as the battery drain and other issues, since this is a new model, I am sure they would have worked these things out... They know the issues and of course would have addressed them for the new item.

Just plain and simple logic.

Also, let's not forget besides the Treo 300 being a "new" type of phone, it was also the debut of Sprint's vision service which as everyone knows went anything but smooth.... but now it is up.. there is no new background technology to cause problems.

Mike
  3.    #3  
    The problem with the hinge was it was designed poorly in the beginning and never corrected. If you buy a brand new Tree 300 you will get exactly the same hinge.

I use an earbud about 98% of the time...My wife about the same we are anything but "abusive" of our phones and both have developed small cracks in the hinge area. I would go so far as to say we baby our phones. Do I expect HS to replace every phone out there...no that would be asking too much...should I expect that they would make changes to the design in some way to correct the problem...yes...sorry I do...and they haven't.

As for the battery life...They advertise 3 hours of talk time and you're lucky to get half that. There also appears to be some serious deficiencies in the way the phone handles low/no signal areas and Vision. There were no safeguards in place to prevent the phone from quickly draining to zero battery life and losing all data.

Okay, once again... no corrections during the life of the product.

So, now...faced with a new phone how can consumers have any confidence that HS/Palm is going to support a new device. Hey, we're all human...design mistakes can be made. Stuff can get by testing...but it's how we react to those problems that counts. HS basically didn't react at all...it may be financial problems that caused it...it might be indifference...but with that in mind...the question of whether or not we should trust them to do any better this time around is out there.

...ken