Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    - My treo 300 worked fine as a $300 flashlight during the NYC blackout. The phone (Sprint) was worthless all night Thursday and had spotty service Friday. Nextel and Verizon cell phones were working fairly well since I used them to make calls while I had the "network service not available" cue on my Treo.
    - I was planning on purchasing a Treo 600, but not now. Time to accept the reality that the Treo sucks as a phone and probably will during the next generation (note there's a lack of pre-release publicity regarding "fixing" known Treo 300 phone problems prior to releasing the 600, although plenty of news about the new keyboard design, camera and other such trivia.
    Please do not post the same thing in multiple forums. Pick one and go with it. Thanks.
    how the hell does the Blackout make the Treo a BAD phone. It seems to me your problem was with Sprint. The 600 will be offered by multiple carriers.
  4.    #4  
    Good point. Until Treo has a partnership with a reliable cell provider (Verizon, Nextel etc), I will not purchase a 600. The Treo/Palm folks have done some great marketing job by convincing customers "It's not our fault, blame Sprint", sidestepping their equal accountability in the partnership regarding performance. Bye Bye
    E. G. - you seem to be a confused individual...

Would you discredit a brand new Sony Plasma HDTV just because Adelphia Cable service was bad?

no.

Don't discredit hardware because of service issues.
    Originally posted by E. G.
    Good point. Until Treo has a partnership with a reliable cell provider (Verizon, Nextel etc), I will not purchase a 600. The Treo/Palm folks have done some great marketing job by convincing customers "It's not our fault, blame Sprint", sidestepping their equal accountability in the partnership regarding performance. Bye Bye
    Well good riddance! The guy can't get a signal in one of the biggest blackouts in 40 years, and thus all treos must suck! How do you know that all other Sprint customers weren't experiencing the same problems you were? Do you even realize that there is a gsm/gprs version of the Treo and thus giving you other provider options? Also, for the record, there will not be a iDen version for the Treo 600 (Nextel) but there might be a Verizon version b/c there is a dual band cdma version of the phone...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    This is either a troll, or someone too lazy to actually read the product website.

Either way, let's not feed it.
    What does this button do?
    sorry troll, but move on. I have several friends using their 300's on Sprint during the blackout (im-ing with me, and email), and it was fine.

sprint's network beats all others in nyc, if you ever actually use it there.

this troll is a liar, and I doubt he was even in NYC during the blackout.
    Actually I have a sprint treo and I had the same problems getting a call throgh on thursday, due to high call volume, understandable, but on friday I could not get a network lock all day. I turned of the phone and on again, nothing. It wasnt until much much later i decieded to call sprint and they told me to soft reset. Boy did I feel stupid when It found a network. I forgot all about the reset.
    yea, the soft reset often helps with the Treo. the one other person I knew having troubles did a soft reset and had no troubles on the network (this was late Thurs night, early fri morning)
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mikec
    sorry troll, but move on. I have several friends using their 300's on Sprint during the blackout (im-ing with me, and email), and it was fine.

sprint's network beats all others in nyc, if you ever actually use it there.

this troll is a liar, and I doubt he was even in NYC during the blackout.
    Mine worked at the beginning, but could not complete a call about 30 minutes into it.

Of course, when I tried calling my dad's cell from my landline, it didn't get through (he's got AT&T). So, it wasn't just sprint.

I guess to follow the original poster's logic... he shouldn't use power from the power company ever again because there was a major blackout.
  12.    #12  
    The point I was trying to make is that HS/Palm has not made it a priority to pair with a "top shelf" provider. Nextel and Verizon are consistently better performers in NYC and if you look past the bells and whistles of the 600, currently "third world" cell providers are being planned for the 600. I have 175 Nextel phones for my business and was considering buying the 600 at least for middle management and above, but not now.
  13.    #13  
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by leobag
    [B]E. G. - you seem to be a confused individual...

Would you discredit a brand new Sony Plasma HDTV just because Adelphia Cable service was bad?

no.
    -------------
    What if the Sony was "locked" to Adelphia cable and they proved to be less than reliable... Would you buy another Sony "locked" to the same company?

If Verizon is a service provider option, I'll buy.
    Would you buy another Sony "locked" to the same company?
    No, I would not buy... however, I would say something like "it is unfortunate that this hardware can only be used with this service" -- I would NOT say "Time to accept the reality that the Treo sucks as a phone and probably will during the next generation... etc"

Also... have you heard of a little something called GSM? You cannot truly say that it is locked.

So, actually... yes, I would buy another sony - and just get DirectTV or Dish Network.

LB
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Personally, I think this thread is a little silly. So it happened that wherever Sprint PCS sends and receives its signal from lies within the New York power grid black out area. Next time it happens it may be that Verizon or any other cellular carrier may lie within the blacked out area . This was just the bad luck of the draw. I work in the downtown area of a major city. My Treo 300 (Sprint PCS) is the only one that can get a signal in an out of the huge concrete building that I work in (especially in the basement).Does that mean that everyone else should switch to Sprint PCS? Each of the cellular companies has their towers and other facilities located or concentrated in different locations. You have to make your purchase based on what works best for you. It's a little silly to base your purchase on what happened during a power black out of a particular area at a given time. None of my cordless phones work during a power black out either. Should I get rid of my SBC service because of this, even though my corded phones work during a black out? One last thing, I had an interesting experience the other day. I accidentally left my Treo 300 on top of my car when I was packing it and it went sailing off my car roof at 55 miles per hour. A passing motorist found it along the side of the road, used one of the speed dials to call my mother, and offer to return it. When I picked it up from the good Samaritan I was greatly surprised to find that there was not a scratch on it and that it worked perfectly. Based on my true story then everyone else should get rid of their non Sprint PCS phones and service, right? I hope you understand the point is that it was just the luck of the draw. I bought the very first Treo 300 that my local Sprint store received last August, I still have it, and am using it. Sure I have had a few problems along the way. The Sprint customer service representatives could use some work (Have you tried to hire a quality employee these days?), but I just hung in there, and they now have it working perfectly. I, for one, plan on being the first person in line when the Treo 600 becomes available.

macfan
    the beef I'm hearing is with the carrier service. No one is perfect, but some are better in some areas than others.

verizon I hear is great in the East coast, but it blows in the West. Nextel will be out of business (bought) within 5 years. PTT will see to that.
    I think I can understand E.G.'s frustration. In time of need...the lack of availability. I think the treo is a great consideration for emergency...photo...email...web news...calls etc. Let's hope the carriers build in aome improvements as a result from this. I will get a 600 because it is indeed a swiss army knife phone.
    Sigh... Between people being disillusioned, shocked and dismayed with HS because Jeff Hawkins anecdotally wasn't nice to someone and the fact that he actually has other interests than PDAs and deciding that the Treo 600 is bad because Sprint didn't work well during a historic blackout, I'm wondering what ever happened to our informative, technical, high quality TreoCentral message board. I'm afraid this was inevitable, and its going the way usenet and email have gone.

I guess the silver lining is that it's a sign that the Treo is getting pretty popular.
    I guess the silver lining is that it's a sign that the Treo is getting pretty popular.
    It truly is

I went from really dis-liking Handspring, thinking the PalmOS was so-so, and PocketPC was great - to thinking the Treo 300 series wasn't just not interesting (sorry guys) but really getting to like the newer PalmOS (v5) --- to really falling in love with the T600, the PalmOS, and now I just can't wait for it to arrive
    For what it's worth, only my friends on Sprint in NY could use their phones. My friends on other networks (which I actually think was Verizon) didn't work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast