1.    #1  
    I have a f**king headache right now. I was away from home for work for 2 weeks relying on my Treo 300 and it let me down in a big way. The RBOD finally caught me when I needed the Treo the most and drained the battery dead with the lost of all data.

Daytime I was in an area with no signal but night time where I go to dinner there is a signal. I had Treohelper set to disconnect the radio after 2 minutes of no signal but that obviously didn't work for some reason. I had my laptop with me and thought i could restore the Treo via HotSync but the RBOD did more damage than just wiping out all my data. It made HotSync stop working too! I kept getting the eroor:

"The connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again. "

Funny that HotSync was working fine before this RBOD incident. Why did hotsync stop working?

Anyway my notebook, a Sony VAIO SRX-77, has an external CD reader which I did not bring with me so could not restore the Palm desktop wher I was. So in the middle of my 2 week stint I made the 270 mile trip home last night to get the CD reader and to get on the web and search Treocentral and Handspring's customer support for answers. I looked at most of the threads and did not find anything specific to my problem. I did soft and hard resets on the 300 many times but could not get it to HotSync. I also tried uninstalling and re-installing Palm desktop multiple times and it still wouldn't HotSync . After about 6 more rounds reinstalling Palm desktop and hard resetting the 300 it finally hot synced!!! WTF? However, the HotSync did not restore anything! I have Palm desktop set to "desktop overwrites handheld" on everything that could be set to it but none of the apps and data was restored.

I looked at the Handspring folder on the notebook and everything I needed is in the user folder. Why did it not restore it? Do I have a bad Treo or am I doing something wrong in the Palm desktop HotSync custome set-up?

My immediate need is to restore my Treo to the configuration before the crash so I can go back to work next week. I had the Treo set up with some really cool apps (from reading Treocentral forum) and relied on it and all of a sudden it was gone, all my e-mail apps, browsers, contacts, date book settings, memos, alarms etc.

Any help to get me up and running again would be appreciated (including pointing me to previous threads on how to restore from Palm desktop)

This is a real rude awakening on how flaky the Treo 300 is. This RBOD is a serious defect IMHO and we need to pressure Handspring and Sprint to fix it. If I don't see any action from Handspring and Sprint, I am going to T-mobile when my contract with Sprint is up.
  2.    #2  
    PS, I know about the conflict of PdaNet and HotSync and have uninstalleed PdaNet.

I just tried another HotSync and it cause the Sony notebook to get the blue screen and reboot and then goes into the file system check.

is this a USB incompatibility problem between the Sony VAIO and the Treo?

I have the OEM Handspring USB cable with the button and an aftermarket charging cable and it doesn't make any difference which I use.
  3.    #3  
    Where were you guys when I needed help?

I struggled thru this myself and kept trying to hot sync and it finally did it and restored all the files. Although a few of the apps now result in a fatal alert whe I run them so there are still problems. When I get directions using Directory Assistant it always end up in a fatal exception when the directions are displayed. Snappermail also end up in fatal exception when mail is retreived. Any clue as to why?

Thru all this I discovered the USB connector is loose on the Treo and the charge LED is on intemittently if I move the cable. I think this is related to the hot sync problem I've been having. I brought it to a SPrint store today to have the Tech look at it and he said I need a new unit. Should be arriving in the mail next Wed. Hope I get a good one and not a lemon.
    newtreouser,

Sorry no one chimed in to help you before. Did you ever try to install the Treo300 updater? I know the most of the feedback on these forums has been mixed, but I haven't had any major turbo drain problems since I installed the update. (I just had one RBOD immediately after installing the update, but nothing ever since) Also besides DA, what other apps are giving you fatal alerts? Are you still using your old profile or have you tried to freash install everything yet? I would recommend doing the latter if you haven't already....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    For the record, I tend to ignore requests in posts with swears (putting asterisks in there doesn't do anything IMO).
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    newtreouser,

Sorry no one chimed in to help you before. Did you ever try to install the Treo300 updater? I know the most of the feedback on these forums has been mixed, but I haven't had any major turbo drain problems since I installed the update. (I just had one RBOD immediately after installing the update, but nothing ever since) Also besides DA, what other apps are giving you fatal alerts? Are you still using your old profile or have you tried to freash install everything yet? I would recommend doing the latter if you haven't already....
    gfunkmagic , no I have not installed the Treo300 updater. I think my problem was due to a loose phone data connector. I will be getting a replacement unit today or tomorrow. Hope I get a good one (a refurb for sure).
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    For the record, I tend to ignore requests in posts with swears (putting asterisks in there doesn't do anything IMO).
    I don't usually swear. Only when I am really mad. Don't you ever swear? Anyway I am sorry if that upsets you and I'll try not to do that again.
  8. 3-O
    The update should help. It has helped me. No problems since I installed it.

Regarding the error message you mentioned, this may be too basic for you (kinda like when you call a tech support line to tell them that your motherboard is dead and they ask you if you tried to turn on your machine) but make sure you always connect to the same USB port. HotSync won't work otherwise. I received that error message when I tried to use alternate ports when synching. The again I have a Dell I8200; I am not sure if it applies to your VAIO

Also, regarding after market chargers. I found that none fit the treo as well as the handspring ones, as the fit gets loose, you get that flickering light. It may work if you move the cable around but it's not really a cable issue, it's a contact issue.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by 3-O
    The update should help. It has helped me. No problems since I installed it.

Regarding the error message you mentioned, this may be too basic for you (kinda like when you call a tech support line to tell them that your motherboard is dead and they ask you if you tried to turn on your machine) but make sure you always connect to the same USB port. HotSync won't work otherwise. I received that error message when I tried to use alternate ports when synching. The again I have a Dell I8200; I am not sure if it applies to your VAIO

Also, regarding after market chargers. I found that none fit the treo as well as the handspring ones, as the fit gets loose, you get that flickering light. It may work if you move the cable around but it's not really a cable issue, it's a contact issue.
    3-O,

Thanks for the tip but I have only one USB port on my VAIO. Like I said before the data/ charge connector on my Treo is loose. I believe the connector printed circuit trace(s) are intermittent and that has been the cause of all my problems.