Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Jake,

Honestly it sounds like you are in a state of delusion. This thread is beyond bizzare.
  2.    #162  
    Stickman:

I agree that silence is telling. I very much believe this is a character defining moment for Jeff Hawkins. Personally I find his attitude and behavior to be indefensible.

In the second sentence of my opening post in this thread I said “in my personal opinion they were extremely rude, impolite, highly condescending, closed-minded and they left me with the distinct impression they view their customers and fans with utter contempt.”

Jeff not responding is consistent with and supports this notion.

Assuming it is true that Jeff only works one day a week at Handspring it follows that he just does not care about his patrons. I believe these facts speak volumes about his character.

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 08/19/2003 at 01:46 AM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  3.    #163  
    daftgem:

Tell me something I don't know????

Fill this forum with your infinite wisdom...

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

Originally posted by Stickman
    Jake's made some allegations about Jeff Hawkins that don't cast him in a particularly good light. And, yet, there's been no response from Jeff here that I can find.
    I know from calling Handspring's customer service reps that they do read the threads on this forum. There's no doubt this has been looked at and discussed at Handspring at the water cooler.
    One possible explanantion for there being no response from Jeff Hawkins is that everything that Jake has said is true and Jeff can't refute what Jake's saying without being dishonest.

Silence is telling...
    C'mon now. Do you guys really expect Jeff hawkins to come here and post on this thread to refute whether he was rude to JakeE or whoever he is!!? PLEASE!! Regardless of who JakeE claims to be, everyone here one this board is basically anonymous and we really don't know what each other's agenda's are apart from what can be gleamed from our respective posts. And even if JH was rude to the guy, WHO GIVES A CRAP!! This thread has gotten so freakin stupid it's pathetic. I don't care if JH blew someone off if he felt he was getting a sales pitch he didn't want to hear. All I care about is the product and whether it suits my needs, period. All this emotional, he hurt my feelings nonsense is pure drivel imo. JakeE, I would recommend you stop responding to this useless thread and just post your story when your good and finished. Lets hope you can just stick to the facts of the meeting with some relavant personal observations of yours without turning it into some personal attack. Doing so otherwise would certainly be detrimental IMO to any tenuous credibility your currently have.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Jake,

Please do not take what I say as a personal rant. I’m going to try and be concise.

The idea that Jake Hawkins would willingly and kindly accept input from an inexperienced source is outlandish. For you to further respond by labeling his actions as rude and arrogant is almost humorous. Honestly it sounds as if you are labeling a man as condescending for dispelling the idea of a retina tracking PDA. For Christs sake man, get real!
  6.    #166  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

C'mon now. Do you guys really expect Jeff hawkins to come here and post on this thread to refute whether he was rude to JakeE or whoever he is!!? PLEASE!! Regardless of who JakeE claims to be, everyone here one this board is basically anonymous and we really don't know what each other's agenda's are apart from what can be gleamed from our respective posts. And even if JH was rude to the guy, WHO GIVES A CRAP!! This thread has gotten so freakin stupid it's pathetic. I don't care if JH blew someone off if he felt he was getting a sales pitch he didn't want to hear. All I care about is the product and whether it suits my needs, period. All this emotional, he hurt my feelings nonsense is pure drivel imo. JakeE, I would recommend you stop responding to this useless thread and just post your story when your good and finished. Lets hope you can just stick to the facts of the meeting with some relavant personal observations of yours without turning it into some personal attack. Doing so otherwise would certainly be detrimental IMO to any tenuous credibility your currently have.
    Gfunkmagic:

You asked, :WHO GIVES A CRAP!!”

I DO. VERY MUCH!!!!! That is the problem in the world today is that nobody cares about anything except themselves. Everybody passes the buck.

Then gfunkmagic, you made a declarative statement when you said “All I care about is the product and whether it suits my needs, period.”

O.K. All you care about is yourself? O.K.

Then you advise me by saying: “detrimental IMO to any tenuous credibility your currently have.”

Do you mean tenuous credibility like Galileo had with the pope when Galileo kept insisting the earth was round and not flat???

If in your own words you don’t “give a crap” and all you care about is yourself then why do you bother to post here???

Jake

7.    #167  
    Originally posted by daftgem
    Jake,

Please do not take what I say as a personal rant. I’m going to try and be concise.

The idea that Jake Hawkins would willingly and kindly accept input from an inexperienced source is outlandish. For you to further respond by labeling his actions as rude and arrogant is almost humorous. Honestly it sounds as if you are labeling a man as condescending for dispelling the idea of a retina tracking PDA. For Christs sake man, get real!
    Daftgem:

You refer to me as an “inexperienced source.” You don’t know anything about my level of experience. You get Real!!!

Jake

Originally posted by JakeE

Daftgem:

You refer to me as an “inexperienced source.” You don’t know anything about my level of experience. You get Real!!!

Jake
    Do you have any experience developing hardware and orginizational software that has seen a production run for a multimillion dollar corporation? If so I retract all of my statements.
  9.    #169  
    I don’t understand all of this negative energy and low blows.

DIDN’T YOUR PARENTS TEACH YOU ANY MANNERS???

Do the COWARDS in this forum get off on striking and running away???

You think because you are anonymous that you can exhibit poor behavior?

I guarantee that if you could not hide behind that screen of yours that you would not make half the cowardly comments you do if you were in my presence. You know if your mother or daughter was sitting beside you, you would not say the things you do.

Why don’t we keep this simple? If you have something REAL to add, speak your mind. If you don’t, then don’t.

Think before you speak.

Jake

10.    #170  
    Originally posted by daftgem

Do you have any experience developing hardware and orginizational software that has seen a production run for a multimillion dollar corporation? If so I retract all of my statements.
    daftgem:

No I don’t but Jeff Hawkins does, and from what I understand the companies he has founded, Palm and Handspring combined have collectively lost around a BILLION dollars of their customers’ money. NOT A MILLION DOLLAR LOSS BUT A BILLION.

If you bought HAND stock at $100 a share and today it is less than a dollar a share would that make you a happy camper??? Especially if the guy who is supposed to be the captain of the ship abandoned the ship and ran off with $40 million of your cash. And to add insult to injury he only works one day a week???

I’m sorry daftgem but you are trying to draw a false and weak analogy.

Once again pal, you get real!!!
    Last edited by JakeE; 08/19/2003 at 02:47 AM.

11.    #171  
    As far as I am concerned I believe the management of Handspring including Jeff Hawkins has a fiduciary obligation to their investors.

There are two kinds of investors I am talking about here; the investors who bought securities and invested their hard earned money in HS stock and the class I represent which are the customers who invested their hard earned money in Mr. Hawkins Treo.

Jeff Hawkins had the gall to point to my Treo 270 which I placed on his table during our meeting and say “We just pushed that out the door because we had to.” As if to suggest it was a piece of garbage.

Then he pointed to his Treo 600 prototype and said, “this is the real thing.” I remember thinking to myself, “Gee, I am glad that I and the dozens of poeple who I convinced to invest in purchasing a current model Treo got to be your guinea pigs.” Talk about outrageous insolence!!!

As far as I am concerned this is highly unethical business behavior and the SEC should investigate how HS management rewarded themselves for failing so miserably. I’ll bet you there was not one person who bought HAND stock that imagined that Jeff as the Captain of the ship would only work one day a week for the last year???
    Last edited by JakeE; 08/19/2003 at 03:01 AM.

No I don’t but Jeff Hawkins does, and from what I understand the companies he has founded, Palm and Handspring combined have collectively lost around a BILLION dollars of their customers’ money. NOT A MILLION DOLLAR LOSS BUT A BILLION.

If you bought HAND stock at $100 a share and today it is less than a dollar a share would that make you a happy camper??? Especially if the guy who is supposed to be the captain of the ship abandoned the ship and ran off with $40 million of your cash. And to add insult to injury he only works one day a week???

Well Jake didn't you know all of that back before your meeting with Jeff? If he had not been rude to you and upset you, would you even be bringing this up now? I am just amazed at the flip-flop. Jeff Hawkins is still Jeff Hawkins. There isn't anything new about him that your meeting should have brought to light. It was all there staring us in the face before.

If JH was rude and cut you off, well beg my pardon but how does that make him different from 95% of executives out there? If you talk like you write, it's no wonder you got cut off a lot. You do go on a bit. That is not a criticism, just an observation--in other circles I tend to go on a bit, too, more than I do here. There's nothing wrong with that if you see it's being well received. But if your "feelers" are telling you someone is getting impatient, rather than get upset with them, just accept they want things to move at a faster clip and cut to the chase. Don't take it personally.

I have had to edit my own pace all the time when working with other people. If you're in a position where someone has made time to agree to see you, you have to let them set the pace. It is not an equal situation at all, no matter how important you may feel you are and even if you see it as YOU have taken the time to see them.

And you say you wanted to present Treo Central members' ideas to him and he refused to hear you out. Probably or possibly he thought that was going to be a larger part of your meeting. And when you did not bring it up until after, he did not want to get into it at that point. Understandable. It sounds like the meeting was not what either of you had intended it to be. What a shame.

Anyway, so far you have not revealed or implied anything about JH that surprises or dismays me. I could care less about his manners either. They seem pretty normal to me. I have dealt with worse.
    ... After our meeting I told him that I wanted to finish sharing my insight with him. He said he was not interested. I pleaded with him as a customer ... He for some strange reason is not interested.

In my opinion, and I shared this with Jeff, it is a mistake for Handspring to not get involved in this forum. I told Jeff that he should personally interact with people in this forum using his own name.

The powers that be in this forum and the patrons of this forum need to make some decisions about the future. I am of the school of thought that we as the ultimate customers should hold HS and ultimately Palm accountable for their actions.

I was told the Treo was about making the best tradeoffs???? According to whom?

Well, ... "Lions and Tigers and Bears ... Oh My!" Just when we thought that the dust was starting to settle down in Kansas that wicked old Miss Gulch has gone and snatched up dear little Toto again! Looks like we're going to have to ride the twister some more here if the Wonderful Wizard of Palm doesn't let us all in to the Emerald City sometime soon. I just hate waiting out here in the poppy field with all these pesky flying monkeys carrying on!

I have listed a few of Jake's quotes above from earlier in this thread (about 800 pages ago).

It seems perfectly natural for Jake to feel sour grapes over the apparent rebuke of his presentation with the wizard. He has now set off with his friends into the enchanted forest in search of the wicked witch's broomstick so that he may bring it back to the wizard and beat it over his head I guess! This is where our little story here has taken a nasty turn in my opinion.

It is a wonderful thing that Jake got an opportunity to speak his truth to the great and all-powerful wizard. It would be equally wonderful now for Jake to just let go of the disappointment of not being taken more seriously. Let's face it, rejection sucks. That is no excuse however to wallow over it.

No matter how very passionate, leading edge, professional, proud, etc. that one believes themselves to be, it is futile to try to control something outside the realm of your control. The last quote listed above (about Treo trade-offs) is the most telling. According to whom? Well, I hate to crush the fantasy further but the answer is ... according to the design leaders of the company! Trade offs are about economics. I have said it before. Ultimately, the final judgement about those trade offs will come from all of us as end users ... IF we even see fit to become an end user. The market will decide in good time. Such are the risks of running a multi-million dollar, high tech business. I am quite confident that the upper management of the new PalmOne are well aware of the interests of their shareholders and customers of the products that they produce before ol' Jake came along making all this noise.

To my knowledge, I don't think that Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Michael Dell, etc. participate directly in forums like this. Should they? It would be kind of novel but I think the risk is too great in opening up a personality cult dynamic that would be impossible to manage expectations over. Can you imagine what a nightmare it would be if there were 1000 passionate, micro-managing JakeEs each demanding that their pet design ideas be incorporated into the product? Input is great but as Lincoln said, "you can't please all of the folks all of the time." The charade of Jeff H. posting regularly on this forum would likely just become window dressing and placating symbolism to all of the adoring fans. Quite frankly, I don't blame JH one bit for staying clear of places like this. It has nothing to do with whether he "CARES" or not. This has become too much of Jake projecting himself as the David against Goliath or something ridiculous like that. This ranting about S.E.C. investigations and being a self-annointed advocate for the "other" investors (purchasers) reminds me of the historic economic populism themes that William Jennings Bryan used to rail against the Robber Barons of a century ago. Give me a break Jake. No one forced us to buy these devices. Educated decisions were made by each of us exercising our free will. Ah, the beauty of letting the market decide these things rather than the bullying union boss. A very good point was made in a previous post about being more aware of how one comes across. Instead of using phrases in your posts like ... "I will announce to all of you ..." etc., just communicate more directly. You can come off as sounding self-inflated. It is very possible that Jeff H. experienced the meeting as something of an interview for YOU first, and discussing this forum secondarily. I have made this mistake myself on more than one occasion and I paid the price for it. It was not a pretty picture as I was shut down quickly and was very embarassed to such an extent that I felt strongly the need to try to save face and salvage my hurt pride.

The bottom line is that it is unrealistic for any of us to expect to be able to totally control detailed decisions that Handspring makes. How often Jeff H. works per week or how much he makes in stock strategy is absolutely non of my business beyond idle gossip. It is way too political to become so judgemental of someone involved in a private enterprise. After all, JH is NOT an elected official that we can burn at the stake. All of which brings us back to the story of this ever lengthening thread.

Stop trying to melt down the witch Jake! The wizard has already indicated that he isn't interested in the broomstick. Give up the ghost of trying to make the Wizard accept you. Your change of heart indeed does seem to indicate a bit of naivete about the hard knock realities of business. Believe me, I understand the nature of disappointment but wake up from this awful dream and be happy that you're safe in Kansas. You can still care deeply and pursue your religious design crusade but I hope you apply your energies where it can matter most and make more of a difference rather than trying to control things out of your control. Your self appointed martydom for the design cause continues to amuse but is ringing more empty. Go start your own handheld company and become a wizard unto yourself. Perhaps it was the very same angst that you seem to be feeling that drove Dubinsky and Hawkins to bail out on 3 Com and found Handspring back in '99.

There is a lot of room for the Galileos of this age to selflessly give a crap and contribute but stop pleading with and leave the wizard alone. His hot air baloon has already left the Emerald City and you are not aboard it. It's not the end of the world!

Out.

-THP
    Last edited by Nautilus Man; 08/19/2003 at 06:56 AM.
    Think First, ask questions later!

Jeff Hawkins had the gall to point to my Treo 270 which I placed on his table during our meeting and say “We just pushed that out the door because we had to.” As if to suggest it was a piece of garbage.

Again, that surprises you? Some dissatisifed owners of repeatedly breaking 270's have been saying that around here for ages.

I personally always thought the 300 was pretty sweet. Those I know who have it, like it a lot. So I could care less what JH thinks of it personally.

Some authors hated a few of their own books that I have enjoyed, and loved some of their own books that I have hated. It is only my own opinion of any product or device that matters to me. Maybe the 270 was crap in the eyes of JH, but if it was crap that has served you well, who cares what JH thinks?
  15.    #175  
    Originally posted by monkeywithacold
    Well Jake didn't you know all of that back before your meeting with Jeff? If he had not been rude to you and upset you, would you even be bringing this up now? I am just amazed at the flip-flop. Jeff Hawkins is still Jeff Hawkins. There isn't anything new about him that your meeting should have brought to light. It was all there staring us in the face before.

If JH was rude and cut you off, well beg my pardon but how does that make him different from 95% of executives out there? If you talk like you write, it's no wonder you got cut off a lot. You do go on a bit. That is not a criticism, just an observation--in other circles I tend to go on a bit, too, more than I do here. There's nothing wrong with that if you see it's being well received. But if your "feelers" are telling you someone is getting impatient, rather than get upset with them, just accept they want things to move at a faster clip and cut to the chase. Don't take it personally.

I have had to edit my own pace all the time when working with other people. If you're in a position where someone has made time to agree to see you, you have to let them set the pace. It is not an equal situation at all, no matter how important you may feel you are and even if you see it as YOU have taken the time to see them.

And you say you wanted to present Treo Central members' ideas to him and he refused to hear you out. Probably or possibly he thought that was going to be a larger part of your meeting. And when you did not bring it up until after, he did not want to get into it at that point. Understandable. It sounds like the meeting was not what either of you had intended it to be. What a shame.

Anyway, so far you have not revealed or implied anything about JH that surprises or dismays me. I could care less about his manners either. They seem pretty normal to me. I have dealt with worse.
    Monkeywithacold:

So now you are going to try to take a jab at me???

First of all it is not “I could care less.” You mean, “I could not care less.” Think about it?

Honestly, I did not know any of this stuff before my meeting with Jeff. It was a mere coincidence that the next day, on this forum I read about the financial debacle and about the $70 million lease cost.

I admit that I know very little about the $70 million lease buyout, but if I understand it correctly Handspring thought the original Treo would sell better so they cut a deal with their landlord to build another building. Things did not go the way HS expected so they anticipatorily repudiated their lease. O.K. So they paid their landlord $70 million of investors money???

Why wouldn’t they in the worst case scenario have their landlord go ahead with the construction and then sub lease the space later, or leave it empty and pay their landlord $5 or $10 million for the first year. Take the other $60 million and among other things fabricate a 320x320 screen???

None of this makes any sense.

Anyone else???

16.    #176  
    Nautilus Man:

Sour grapes??? I think not. You are suggesting I am suffering from cognitive dissonance???

Correct me if I am wrong but weren’t you the one who insisted that I was hallucinating and suffering from delusions of grandeur and that I made up the fact that I had a meeting with Jeff Hawkins?

Did you not say: “There was no "meeting." It never happened. Unfortunately, that is the entire point and content of this lengthy thread IMO.”

You even went so far as to say: "Remember that kid (Jason Blair) that they busted at NY times for fabricating news stories and making stuff up? He was appropriately discredited for the drama king that he was."

You tell me who the DRAMA QUEEN is?

I rest my case.

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 08/19/2003 at 03:54 AM.

I am NOT here to take sides. I am, however, disappointed and concerned with the hostile tension that has infected this forum due to unneccessarily rude comments, which started way back on page one of this thread with purpleX.

Remember that this is an open discussion forum in which we exchange news, ideas, opinions, etc. in a civilized manner. Some things you may agree with. Some things you will not. That is fine, for it is the essence of debate. But there is always a tactful, respectful way to express your opinions which does not involve making personal attacks against the other side.

Let's keep this civilized and respectful. If we let this stupid dispute tear this forum and it's members apart, we will have lost much more than we can imagine.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Nautilus Man:

Sour grapes??? I think not. You are suggesting I am suffering from cognitive dissonance???

Correct me if I am wrong but weren’t you the one who insisted that I was hallucinating and suffering from delusions of grandeur and that I made up the fact that I had a meeting with Jeff Hawkins?

Did you not say: “There was no "meeting." It never happened. Unfortunately, that is the entire point and content of this lengthy thread IMO.”

You even went so far as to say: "Remember that kid (Jason Blair) that they busted at NY times for fabricating news stories and making stuff up? He was appropriately discredited for the drama king that he was."

You tell me who the DRAMA QUEEN is?

I rest my case.

Jake
    Jake,

Avoid the meltdown man. I am more in your corner than you think. I have publicly acknowledged the correction over the meeting. Also, I have never used the phrases cognitive dissonance, hallucinating, or delusions of grandeur. You are attributing suggestions that are not mine. I have no idea if you are suffering from any of these and I am not suggesting it now at all. Until Marcus from Treo Central posted, there was zero evidence provided by you. I have remained consistent with my insistence upon logical evidence behind your assertions especially when it comes to publicly villianizing a private corporate officer on this forum. (Even if it seems deserved) When I stick my neck out with an opinion based upon available evidence (or in this case, lack of it) and then later evidence proves me incorrect, I admit it and move on. It's really not a very hard thing to do because I don't have my ego or pride or "passion" at stake. I am secure in that my friend and I suspect that you are usually too but based upon some of your comments lately, the hot seat seems to be taking its toll. Not all of the members of this forum are taking stabs at you here. That just sounds like defensive victim talk. Some of the posts that were truly dumb jabs can be just left to stand alone. Given enough time and rope, some folks can easily hang and discredit themselves on their own. Not every lame comment requires a reply ... even some of mine! People reading this thread (if there is anyone left) can sort stuff out easily enough on their own. Most of us are challenging you and hopefully providing a catalyst for "sharpening your saw" if you can shift your paradigm to see it that way.

Drama Queen? Did I miss something here? Where did that one come from? The same place as Einstein's theory and all of the other ad hominem bombs tossed out on this thread? Yikes! I can't fault you for your emotions but taking pious stands and lecturing everyone here about Jeff Hawkin's purported breach of fiduciary responsibility to his company along with second guessing Handspring's building lease decisions, etc. is needless armchair quarterbacking that indeed does appear to be populist, anti-corporate pandering, mock outrage, sour grapes or something. You certainly have your right to free speech though. That is just my opinion based upon my own personal observation of the "evidence" in this thread. Nothing is a "fact" just because I post an observation. I don't know you. I could be entirely wrong. Relax Jake.

Ray USA is asking everyone to give peace a chance. That line is always the feel-good crowd pleaser. I have actually enjoyed this thread immensely because it displays a lot of interest from a lot of folks. It's all a matter of perspective of course but I don't think that it's really been that nasty. I have had a lot of laughs. I try not to take any of this so seriously. When this Treo 600 comes out, we are all going to live happily ever after in Treo-land until the next generation device is announced.

Thanks for starting this thread. It's been a great read and a fun ride ... warts and all.

-THP
    Last edited by Nautilus Man; 08/19/2003 at 06:31 AM.
    Think First, ask questions later!

Science fiction??? I think not. Trust me…if we could put a man on the moon in 1969 we can figure out how to use your eyes as a mouse.
    ...man has never landed on the moon. It was a complete hoax... Saw it on Discovery Channel.
    Begs the question: Why don't they do it now?
    Answer: Because they can't and there is so much technology at peoples fingertips, if they tried, everyone would know it's a hoax.

That Mars robot thing was also a hoax.

Canon cameras have some sort of retina focus thingy? Where you look and not where you point the camera becomes the subject. I tried it... really cool but I did find that after a few minutes my eyeball was rolling around in my head and I was getting really dizzzyyyyy
    www.gsmworld.com
    > ...Jeff Hawkins had the gall to point to my Treo 270 which I
    > placed on his table during our meeting and say “We just
    > pushed that out the door because we had to.” As if to suggest
    > it was a piece of garbage...

Speaking of inexperience - did you sign a nondisclosure statement with Handspring?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast