Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
  1.    #141  
    Originally posted by mikec
    "The ultimate form factor" - earth to Jake, come in - THERE ISN'T ONE. There is only variation in form and function, intersecting the marketplace.
    Obviously you are not familiar with the concept of Universal Design.

You are saying there is no such thing as the Ultimate form factor?

Look at an ACE comb. Combs are a great example of an ultimate form factor. The ancient Egyptians used combs five thousand years ago and if you compare a comb that is hundreds of years old to a current one they are basically identical—same thing with a hair brush.

Think about it?

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    I find it a little suspicious that he has never stated who he is before... unless I'm ignorant and havn't found the post or site where he introduced himself.

He has stated in this and other threads that he currently a clothing design, but with over 20 years of design experience in other product fields. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $he$'$s$ $never$ $specified$ $which$ $other$ $products$.
    Originally posted by JakeE

Obviously you are not familiar with the concept of Universal Design.

You are saying there is no such thing as the Ultimate form factor?

Look at an ACE comb. Combs are a great example of an ultimate form factor. The ancient Egyptians used combs five thousand years ago and if you compare a comb that is hundreds of years old to a current one they are basically identical—same thing with a hair brush.

Think about it?

Jake
    so is that like toilet paper?
    [mod note: respectful posts please....]
  5.    #145  
    Originally posted by CmdrGuard
    I hope no one is putting me in the personal attack group for asking Jake's credentials.

I think its a valid question for jake to answer "and my opinions deserve extra notice and attention on treocentral because I"... and here he would say what qualifies him as being the person to meet Hawkins.

I find it a little suspicious that he has never stated who he is before... unless I'm ignorant and havn't found the post or site where he introduced himself.
    CmdrGaurd:

My background is in Strategic Design and Marketing.

Among other things I own a clothing design company and I have been designing for close to twenty years. And yes, I get paid for what I do, but that is not what makes me a professional. There are many people who get paid for what they do that are not professional.

In my opinion, being professional by definition lies in your ability to put yourself in your customers’ shoes and see things from their perspective in a respectful precise manner. A gigolo gets paid to make love with women. I don’t get paid to make love with women, but that does not mean I don’t make better love to my woman than a gigolo. Capish?

I also have significant experience with UI (User Interface) design. Prior to scheduling a meeting with Jeff I sent him a proposal for my BulletTrain Keyboard UI Concept which he reviewed.

As previously mentioned, I will be posting my work product so you can judge for yourself.

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

6.    #146  
    Originally posted by yeah yeah

so is that like toilet paper?
    Yeah yeah

The bathroom is filled with items that adhere to the rules of Universal Design. A toothbrush, nail clippers, dental floss, soap, shampoo, etc.

Toilet paper is a product that has not quite hit the Omega Point of its design cycle. I believe that toilet paper twenty years from now will be more like baby wipes, in the sense that they will be moist, which will make it much more effective.

Also the kitchen is filled with products that have reached their Omega Point of design. This would include knifes, forks and spoons; plates and bowls, etc.

Handheld computers however are still in their infancy. One thing Jeff Hawkins and I definitely agreed upon is that handheld computers will become increasingly significant in the future. I believe in many ways they will supplant desktop computers.

The reason I am so passionate about the future advancement of handheld computers is not because I want to make money doing it or so that I can have the pleasure of addressing people like you, but because I want an awesome tool that I can benefit from.

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 08/18/2003 at 05:14 PM.

This has been SOME experience reading the highs, the lows, and everything in between in this thread. I expecially appreciated the humorous one-liners to "keep it real."

Keeping it brief, I'll just say this...... we're our own victims!! Because of our gadget-craziness, we research, pine, and scour the web for information on tech long before it's available. Then we face the frustrating task of biding our time between discovery of tech and availability of tech. What results are threads like this filled with a lot of speculation, discussion, dissention, division, etc.

THANK GOODNESS, the device eventually hits, and then all the the pent up energy is turned from "evil" to good as the first to recieve their preordered devices start the frantic process of posting info, pictures, and opinions.

Boy am I looking forward to that time!!!
    go.digital
    There just might be a happy ending to this thread after all. Now close your eyes Dorothy, click your heels together 3 times and repeat after me ... "There's no place like home, There's no place like home!"

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
  9. purpleX
    There are still 2 more months before finally the gadget in question shows up.
    It's like hungry sharks in a tank before feeding! We're just waiting for Handspring to throw us some news, and it's making us loopy. It's gonna be a long two months... I think I'll take up knitting.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    I do not off hand recall who it was, but someone once wrote the following:

"Everything is a tragedy to the man who feels and a comedy to the man who thinks!"

-THP
  12.    #152  
    Originally posted by Nautilus Man
    I do not off hand recall who it was, but someone once wrote the following:

"Everything is a tragedy to the man who feels and a comedy to the man who thinks!"

-THP
    THP:

Great quote! I actually collect quotes and i will add yours to my collection. Your quote reminds me of this one methinks:

God is a comedian playing to an audience too scared to laugh. —Voltaire

Originally posted by JakeE
    God is a comedian playing to an audience too scared to laugh. —Voltaire
    AMEN. Praise God ... and please pass the ammunition!

-THP
  14.    #154  
    Originally posted by RayUSA
    It's like hungry sharks in a tank before feeding! We're just waiting for Handspring to throw us some news, and it's making us loopy. It's gonna be a long two months... I think I'll take up knitting.
    By the way RayUSA,

I guess you are done with your overhaul with the Einstein quote and I dig the new Da Vinci avatar. Da Vinci was really something else!!!

Jake

aint some rumors saying sprint will get it in sept...?
    So JaKe, how about giving us a date when you are planning to drop this design idea of yours on us? That was I can skip all the BS contained in this thread, and get right to the real material that I'm interested in seeing. I always used to throw away the bread on my sandwich so that I could get to the meat....
  17.    #157  
    Dmrfresh:

I have no idea. I am completing a major project that requires my undivided attention at this moment.

As soon as I get the chance I will put up my presentation. My presentation is extremely detailed and it will take some time to modify it for the web. I would say I should be able to get it up by this coming weekend.

Jake

18. purpleX
    your 15 minutes is almost up Jake, better hurry up.
    Jake's made some allegations about Jeff Hawkins that don't cast him in a particularly good light. And, yet, there's been no response from Jeff here that I can find.
    I know from calling Handspring's customer service reps that they do read the threads on this forum. There's no doubt this has been looked at and discussed at Handspring at the water cooler.
    One possible explanantion for there being no response from Jeff Hawkins is that everything that Jake has said is true and Jeff can't refute what Jake's saying without being dishonest.

Silence is telling...
  20.    #160  
    Originally posted by purpleX
    your 15 minutes is almost up Jake, better hurry up.
    PurpleX:

Your Kung Fu is weak.

Jake

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast