Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Sheesh, 8 pages to this thread and not a single page of posts worth the time spent to read it.

I suggest this thread be locked very soon, since the only "content" in it is people attacking or or baiting others into argument.

Enough already. Who cares what PDA everyone uses and who knows what theory.

I'd like to read an article about the meeting that happened with Jeff Hawkins. When that happens, post it, and we'll read it and comment. In the meantime is all this garbage necessary?
    I hartily agree with you.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Originally posted by subtex
    [BI'd like to read an article about the meeting that happened with Jeff Hawkins. When that happens, post it, and we'll read it and comment. In the meantime is all this garbage necessary? [/B]
    There was no "meeting." It never happened. Unfortunately, that is the entire point and content of this lengthy thread IMO.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Through a Handspring spokeperson I can confirm that Jake met with Jeff Hawkins at Handspring's headquarters. The spokeperson also stated the Jake and Jeff apperently had different agendas for the meeting, and expressed regret that the purpose of the meeting ("Meet-and-Greet" according to Handspring) had not been clearly communicated.

Jake has agreed to write an editorial piece outlining his concept design of a futuristic PDA, without his opinions on the meeting.

TreoCentral was not aware of the meeting until after the fact, we weren't in attendance, and have no comments otherwise.

Thanks,
  5. purpleX
    I am not sure which one is scarier, the fact that the meeting actually take place, or some of the participants are decribed as "sniveling hyenas".

I love drama, specially the freakish type. I personally think all these are PRPRPR $plot$ $to$ $maintain$ $public$ $interest$ $while$ $the$ $device$ $being$ $prep$. $You$ $know$, $like$ $an$ $MC$'$s$ $lame$ $attempt$ $to$ $entertain$ $the$ $public$ $before$ $the$ $curtain$ $raises$, $but$ $the$ $primadona$ $is$ $2$ $hrs$ $late$. $I$ $wouldn$'$t$ $be$ $surprised$ $if$ $Jake$ $is$ $invited$ $again$ $near$ $the$ $actual$ $launch$ $date$, $and$ $there$ $will$ $be$ $a$ $big$ &$quot$;$hug$ $and$ $kiss$&$quot$; $story$, $and$ $jh$'$s$ $fan$ $club$ $will$ $hand$ $buttons$ $and$ $smiley$ $face$ $along$ $with$ $slogan$

'jh is the wizard, he is the nice every man wizard, buy treo 600"

(okay I think my dramaatic flare is working over time. )
    I stand corrected with my doubt that a meeting occurred.

My open acknowledgement of this is here to you Jake for all to see.

I remain extremely skeptical though about what was discussed due to the fact that no one else can independently confirm or deny anything as a direct eyewitness.

Remember everyone that there is a difference between an "Editorial" and good, no-nonsense reporting. There are way too many reporters today unable to even recognize the bias of their own agenda when they write.

Caveat Emptor!

-THP
    Last edited by Nautilus Man; 08/17/2003 at 09:29 PM.
    Thank you marcus, for clearing that up for everyone!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
  8.    #128  
    I wish to resolve this issue once and for all.

The following quote is taken directly from an email that I sent Jeff in response to an email he sent me. The following text is verbatim from an email that Jeff responded to by saying he was looking forward to meeting with me. This is me sharing with Jeff what my intentions were:

“You asked why I want to meet with you. There are several reasons. Your career and achievements have been a tremendous source of inspiration for me. I have a deep respect for your tenacity and vision.

Secondly, I strongly believe I can help you take your vision to the next level. If there is one thing I am REALLY good at it is troubleshooting design. I am very good at making things better and taking them to the next level.

On the issue of a business arrangement, I have no idea? When we get together I will share my insight with you and Peter Skillman and if you guys like my ideas and I can do some design consulting for you, great! If not I would be happy just to make your acquaintance.”

Jake Ehrlich
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  9. purpleX
    okay so, they did arrange the meeting for a sniggle apparently, otherwise the spoke person would say something about a business pitch that didn't go through instead of how Jake fails to worship Jeff and just doing his pitch like in his email instead.

oh well jake, I hope you write a book about this one day. I got a kick out of this.

PS Jake, personally I still think that meeting never took place. It's just too bizarre. lol
    Jake,

My music teacher once told me to "keep a stiff upper and pivot frequently". I have always felt it was great advise. In other words, everyone has a right to thier own opinion. The sheer amount of response over this past weekend has shown me that all of us have too much time on our hands.........

I put in 5 hours helping my families business, invited my parents to spend the night away from thier unconditioned home to play some cards and eat dinner with me, went to a new church this morning, and took 3 friends boating from noon till 8PM, only to come home and find 8 pages of conjecture, criticism, and pettiness, all over something you havent written yet.

Seems odd to me.

I will say that I agree we lock this post, and that you take your time polishing your report, as I am sure it will be as riveting and informative as those I have read to date. Keep up the great writing, and reporting, and let this water run off your back.

The rest of us here need to get lives, get away from your puters and have some fun.

And thanks for the quote Jake.

Jeff (not the hawkins version) AKA Snowraser
    Jeff
    Look I dunno if this was already convered...

but JakeE, exactly what are your credentials?

What is it that got you some sneak preview of the 600, some meeting with Hawkins, etc. etc.

You said you're a designer, well how so?
    Are you a designer because you design PDAs, or just create your own innovation? Like a person who questions reality calling himself a philosopher. This person may be a philosopher, but by that definition, so is everyone else.

What is your primary source of income?
    If designing is it, then I'd consider you a professional designer.

All I've seen now if that you are some sort of zealous consumer. You've posted so so much on these forums but everytime you put forth some opinion based on your observation of the Treo 600, I am forced to wonder what makes your observation any more credible to justify essentially flooding the forums.

~CmdrGuard
    well - one hell of a discussion here. its informative, philosophical, critical, emotional, aggressive...and so on. i am enjoying it
    Yeah, it is kind of fun to see this forum liven up with some reality instead of fantasy for a change isn't it? Let's all cut ol' JakeE some slack here. He has gotten all the attention he could wish for a while.

By the way, have I mentioned lately that I am still skeptical?

-THP
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    [i]
    I suggest this thread be locked very soon, since the only "content" in it is people attacking or or baiting others into argument.
    Unfortunately, many of the threads contain this lately.
    Originally posted by JakeE
    I wish to resolve this issue once and for all.

The following quote is taken directly from an email that I sent Jeff in response to an email he sent me. The following text is verbatim from an email that Jeff responded to by saying he was looking forward to meeting with me. This is me sharing with Jeff what my intentions were:

“You asked why I want to meet with you. There are several reasons. Your career and achievements have been a tremendous source of inspiration for me. I have a deep respect for your tenacity and vision.

Secondly, I strongly believe I can help you take your vision to the next level. If there is one thing I am REALLY good at it is troubleshooting design. I am very good at making things better and taking them to the next level.

On the issue of a business arrangement, I have no idea? When we get together I will share my insight with you and Peter Skillman and if you guys like my ideas and I can do some design consulting for you, great! If not I would be happy just to make your acquaintance.”

Jake Ehrlich
    Thanks for the info....you basically are asking for a job.

Since you are REALLY good at design troubleshooting, please indulge use with your pedigree for design, ex. degrees in human factors enginneering, device design of phones, PDAs, etc. I'm sure you have this, of course...
    Originally posted by JakeE

JTREOB:

I was very interested in discussing the insight that I had collected from the members of this forum with Jeff. After our meeting I told Jeff that I had not had the opportunity to do so and I pleaded with him to please allow me to do so and he said no.

Please understand I am an extremely passionate designer and I take design very, very seriously. I believe it was George Bernard Shaw that said, “Most men see things as they are and wonder why. I dream of things that never were and wonder, why not?”

As a designer and scientist I always try to think ahead of the curve. I believe I have uncovered the inevitable ultimate form factor for the future of handheld computers. By that I mean than my Phantom V design reference is as small as a handheld computer can be without while remaining useful. I am certain there will be another generation in the future that is implanted in your eye or generates a hologram that only you can see from your wristwatch, but for the physical limitations of this generation, I believe I unearthed it.

I ask that before you pass judgment you examine my design work. It will be posted on this web site as soon as I have the time to do it correctly. For whatever reason I am a very patient man and I take great pride in my design work. I believe good things have always taken time.
    I would love to see this site and supposed "design" work.

Eye implantations? Holograms? What is your definition of the future? 10 years? 1000 years? Please provide us some insight, because a lot of this wont' happen until long after we're all dead.

"The ultimate form factor" - earth to Jake, come in - THERE ISN'T ONE. There is only variation in form and function, intersecting the marketplace.

I'm all for a vivid imagination, but make sure it doesn't cross to closely to reality....you're two scoops away from being cookoo for coco-puffs; I recommend some professional help.
    Originally posted by purp1eX
    man, from hero to zero. did the fall hurt?
    hahahah. im new to this board. only reason i came was to read about the treo600. wanted to know what's up, what it's about, price and release date. now, ever since i came up here....i've seen this person jake. i havent looked at older threads or anything like that, but i just see him as somebody that played around with the treo600. now he had a meeting that didnt go good. i also see purp1ex. he keeps me laughing. then you have rayusa, looks like he just wants to be jake's friend. then nautilus man (sp?), he has doubt in whatever jake's said. correct me if im wrong.

well, from reading jake's article about the 600, i aint care for all that gay homo writing that had to do with it. i aint read about the commodore, past to present, etc. just read about what the 600 and that's all. now he was supposed to have an interview with the main guy. i dont know what the meeting was about, but jake wanted to give him some ideas and stuff. well, i dont know of any company that where the main guy has a meeting with basically a nobody. i read that it was a meet and greet type deal. and jake wants to pitch ideas. they aint give you the respect, and they didnt like your ideas. big deal. so the whole time you felt like you were getting disrespected, you aint stand up for yourself? if they aint respect you, that's a 100% your fault. they looked at you as somebody they didnt need to respect. whatever you pitched at them, probably didnt excite them. just because you think you got hot ideas, doesnt mean they havent heard them before. you dont think there's people that work there that dont check on the internet and read these things? doing their own research. then discuss them type deals at meetings? im just saying...you caught feelings way too hard because the whole thing didnt happend the way you wanted it to. so now the man is all rude, a jerk, etc. who cares? why you tellin us? are you telling us because you want us to think the same? are you blowing off steam? anyway....this wasnt no personal attack....just had to drop my opinion too.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Intelligence runneth over...

Regardless of Jake's experiences being real or not, I can't believe the amount of personal attacks on him here that are allowed to go on.
    I hope no one is putting me in the personal attack group for asking Jake's credentials.

I think its a valid question for jake to answer "and my opinions deserve extra notice and attention on treocentral because I"... and here he would say what qualifies him as being the person to meet Hawkins.

I find it a little suspicious that he has never stated who he is before... unless I'm ignorant and havn't found the post or site where he introduced himself.
    Originally posted by njchris
    I can't believe the amount of personal attacks on him here that are allowed to go on.
    njchris,

Asking someone to produce evidence to back up their opinionated interpretations is not a personal attack. Logical skepticism is a healthy thing.

Don't be fooled by the photo in his Avatar ... JakeE is a big boy now and he will be fine.

All is well in Treo-land!

-THP
    Last edited by Nautilus Man; 08/18/2003 at 04:28 PM.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast