Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Seldomvisitor:

I could not disagre with you more when you say that you believe this forum is an "obscure message board?"

I think you might be very suprised to see who is really reading this material.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Kid, take my word for it - in the Grand Scheme of Things this message board is very much obscure - I literalll can go out on the street and ask thousands of people if they've heard of TreoCentral-the-message-board and I =guarantee= I will get thousands of "Huh?" in response.

Ask Hard-Core PDA early-adopters by the thousands and MAYBE I'll get hundreds of "Sure!". But few more than that.

Doesn't matter WHO IS reading the board, it's who ISN'T that counts.
  3.    #83  
    Nautilus Man:

You sure are talking the talk, but I am wondering if you are walking the walk.

C’mon you were the one who brought up hearsay. I want to hear you say what PDA you own and use on a regular basis? After all you sure have put forth a great deal of conjecture on the issue. I want to know if your conjecture is truly relevant and material.

You would not happen to object to this line of questioning, would you?

This is the fifth time I am asking you:

What PDA do you own and use on a regular basis?

Answer the question as asked!!!
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

4.    #84  
    SeldomVisitor:

Kid? Do I sound like a child to you? I am a man not a child. My avatar is my first grade picture.

O.K. SeldomVisitor lets talk about obscure and relevant.

Have you ever heard of the “Cosmological Constant?” I’ll give you a hint. It has to do with Einstein's equations on general relativity. I am certain Jeff Hawkins could fill you in on the this particular subject if you are not already familiar.

SeldomVisitor: Are you personally familiar with Einstein’s “Cosmological Constant” also known as his fudge factor?

Yes or No?

Jake

Jake, you are seriously confused and are, for sure, answering the question!

One does not need to know how to fly by flapping one's arms to note that someone else is not going to be able to fly by flapping their arms.

Whether or not a particular poster uses a PDA is totally irrelevant.

(note - I own and do not use a Palm PDA - total waste of money ($300+!); I also own and use regularly an el-cheapo-but-literally-built-like-a-rock Nokia cell phone - overkill for what I need at that!)
    I am also reading 3 other forums right now. This is not my full time job you know.

Originally posted by JakeE
    Nautilus Man

One of the best books I ever read is named “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen Covey.

By the way Nautilus Man, just to gain insight into your personal context, do you own and use a Handspring product? I bought a Treo 180 the day it became available. Same with my Treo 270.

What PDA do you use?
    Jake,

I started out back in '98 with a Palm IIIx. I bought a Handspring Prism and Visorphone in January 2000. I ditched the Visor phone after suffering for 4 months and went back to 2 separate devices. I wanted to buy the Treo badly but I voted with my dollars in the marketplace against the Treo's design oversight of no expansion slot. I did not rant and rave against Jeff Hawkins ... I simply didn't purchase his overpriced and flawed product. Instead, I bought the Siemens SX-56 Pocket PC Phone in Dec. '02 and have been using it ever since while watching for something better to eventually evolve and I agree with purplex that the converged device market is ready to explode and will be very unforgiving to mediocre players. A few months ago I did pickup a brand new Treo 180 on Ebay for $100 just to play around with and after a week, I gave it to a friend as a birthday present and I hope he won't hate me for that with all the reliability issues he has had with it. The Treo 270 is still overpriced in my opinion and I refuse to compromise on certain features. The Treo 600 holds a lot of promise and I am big on open face designs due to fewer keymoving parts (HINGE!) that can break. I always saw that as a flaw from the start with Treo. Sometimes I miss the Palm OS but using the Pocket PC OS has not been as hard to adapt to as I initially thought it would. I am pretty much indifferent and non partisan now about which OS to use and just want reliability and robust features that truly work consistently well. I do not consider myself a tech geek or a power user. I have a good level of saavy though and will always have the gadget bug. These tools just need to always be my servant and not my master. My next device will either be the next generation XDA, the WANDA, or something converged that HP might come out with in the future. The Treo is also possible but I will await my own field test to see if I can view the screen outdoors which is a fundamental requirement for me. I will never go back to separate phone and pda.

By the way, Covey's 7 Habits material is among my favorite as well. The business world has a long way to go in terms of alignment with Principled Centered Leadership in my opinion.

-THP
    Last edited by Nautilus Man; 08/17/2003 at 08:03 AM.
    Think First, ask questions later!
  7.    #87  
    SeldomVisitor:

Talk about obscure?

If in your words you own an “el-cheapo” Nokia cell phone then why are you in the TreoCentral.com forum?

Are you going to answer my question about the Cosmological Constant?

Jake

Do you write like a kid? No, you write like someone who is VERY inexperienced with the way the real world works and you write like someone who is TOTALLY blinded by a personal agenda - in this case infatuation with a particular product (or product line).

Because of the way you have written over the last few days, BTW, my expectations surrounding your meeting with Hawkins have essentially plummetted to being nothing more than for the "amusement factor".

That is, I'm getting SERIOUSLY convinced that not only was Hawkins blind-sided by this "meeting" but so were YOU!

Which makes a report on the meeting interesting but pretty much valuable-content-free.
    > ...If in your words you own an “el-cheapo” Nokia cell phone
    > then why are you in the TreoCentral.com forum?...

For the exact same reason that I read SEC financial documents about HAND and PALM.
  10.    #90  
    SeldomVisitor:

"VERY inexperienced with the way the real world works" I see?!? And what do you do for a living? I mean since you are standing in such strong judgment of me?

As far as I am concerned my meeting with Jeff Hawkins was a character defining moment.

Are you going to answer my question about your familiarity with Albert Einstein’s “Cosmological Constant” ???
    Last edited by JakeE; 08/17/2003 at 07:33 AM.

11.    #91  
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > ...If in your words you own an “el-cheapo” Nokia cell phone
    > then why are you in the TreoCentral.com forum?...

For the exact same reason that I read SEC financial documents about HAND and PALM.
    Unfortunately I am not able to read your mind...do you want to fill us in on why you read the SEC financial document about HAND and PALM???

It is not because you were a brilliant investor that bought HAND stock at $100 a share and rode it down to .80 cents, and you are upset with Jeff for investing two million of your dollars in his brain institute instead of fabing a 320x320 screen for the Treo 600, is it?

"Go on, take the money and run!!!" For some strange reason that song keeps going through my head and I don't know why???
    Last edited by JakeE; 08/17/2003 at 07:44 AM.

A quick addendum before I get some sleep here this AM:

The main software application requirement for my handheld is to synch with my desktop ACT 6.0. They make a full featured Palm OS version but it kept freezing up the Treo when I would scroll my daily calender. I now use TRANS-ACT for Pocket PC from pinpoint tools.

-THP
    > ...what do you do for a living?...

I buy and sell stock on a daily basis.

Prior to that I was (am) a software consultant which I took up in 1988.

Prior to that I was simply a software developer that I started professionally in 1980.

Prior to that I was a graduate student in Computer Science and a Research Assistant in a computer vision laboratiory - was one of a few who possibly installed the first UNIX system at our university (in 1977).

Prior to that I was a bachelor's student in Computer Science (from about 1972).

Prior to that I was simply a geek interested in electronics.

Throughout ALL of that I was/am a computer hobbiest who literally has built computers with TTL logic on up to what we have now.

I still have my cool (albeit financial disasters) Amigas, for example.

That is, day AND night for more than 30 years I've lived, ate, and breathed all things computer.

Including handheld computers and smartphones.

Giggle.
  14.    #94  
    Seldomvisitor:

Trippy answer!?!?!? or as Spock would say: "Fascinating Captian" but you still have not anwered my question about the Cosmological Constant.

I am simply asking for a YES or NO anwer???

Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Do you write like a kid? No, you write like someone who is VERY inexperienced with the way the real world works and you write like someone who is TOTALLY blinded by a personal agenda - in this case infatuation with a particular product (or product line).

Because of the way you have written over the last few days, BTW, my expectations surrounding your meeting with Hawkins have essentially plummetted to being nothing more than for the "amusement factor".

That is, I'm getting SERIOUSLY convinced that not only was Hawkins blind-sided by this "meeting" but so were YOU!

Which makes a report on the meeting interesting but pretty much valuable-content-free.
    SeldomVisitor,

I have to agree with you that my own expectations about this so-called report are likely to be more for entertainment value only. By the way, Einstein's Cosmological Constant doesn't have to do with anything on this thread other than Jake is likely feeling under attack and is struggling to re-establish credibility. What a ridiculously insecure digression.

Jake,

Chill the ad hominem stuff dude. We all believe that you have some smarts but you are starting to sound like you have been up all night without sleep. I am not sure this is the kind of attention you want to draw to yourself. If I were you I would get back to finishing and polishing up your Jeff Hawkins novel. Let that do your talking for you rather than all of this petty stuff.

Out.

-THP
  16.    #96  
    Re-establish credibility? According to all of your prior posts I have never had any credibility. I would not be so certain about Einstein’s Cosmological Constant being irrelevant to this thread.

I get plenty of sleep. Quit trying to project your autobiography on me. I am working on business related design work and I am just riffing with you guys about the Treo 600.

What a strange thread this has become indeed!

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

-THP
    what some of you guys need is to get laid more often...
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    JakeE,
    I am deeply saddened by the numerous negative comments and hostile treatment you have encountered for proudly sharing your experiences and intelligence with us. It reminds me of the many people throughout our history who have been laughed at, ridiculed, imprisoned or even executed for their ideas. I wish I had a quarter of creativity and drive you exhibit. Your vision will truly create excellent products that will significantly improve people’s lives.

All the best,
    Kirby

“Every man dies, not every man really lives.” William Wallace (Mel Gibson) in 'Braveheart'
    if the intent was to sell jh something, jakee you struck out. if the intent was to help them improve the 600 with out any self benefit then maybe they struck out.

the treo has some serious major draw backs as one unit business device, which was its intent. i wish jakee would have gone in and carried forward the most obvious and most complained about problems at this site. i can't believe jh wouldn't have listened if it was stated " i'm here to carry forward messages from your current and future users. these users are activily discussing you current and future treo models, and from what i gathered they would like and hope to see with the new treo. 1) a screen that can be seen in direct sunlight 2)................... 3)....................... and limit it to maybe 5.

maybe jh and his partner were rude, but then i don't know what you said and how you said it. if your meeting was for self profiting purposes at all, then like jh, my time has been wasted by you, as well.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 08/17/2003 at 10:18 AM.