1.    #1  
    Check out this photo at www.brighthand.com. These are likely available by year's end and offer some nice specs for comparison with the Treo 600:

-No more external antenna.
    -400 Mz X-scale Faster processor.
    -64 Mb memory
    -240 x 320 resolution with 65,536 colors
    -Built in camera with 640 x 480 pixel "VGA" resolution
    -Sweet and simple high tech form factor

What do y'all think?

-THP
    Last edited by Nautilus Man; 08/15/2003 at 06:54 PM.
    Think First, ask questions later!
    I think it's not running Palm OS and I'm unwilling to switch.
    [i]-No more external antenna.
    -400 Mz X-scale Faster processor.
    -64 Mb memory
    -240 x 320 resolution with 65,536 colors
    -Built in camera with 640 x 480 pixel "VGA" resolution
    -Sweet and simple high tech form factor

What do y'all think?

-THP [/B]
    The specs look good, without a doubt, but without a built-in thumboard this device is worthless to me. I want real buttons to dial the phone with, and to use for wireless messaging. I would mind the Microsoft Smartphone if it had a mini qwerty keyboard like the present treos or like the upcomming 600.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    It's interesting...but I want to have either numeric keypad or thumbboard on my phone... not the absence of both!! Heck, that why I think I would rather get the SE P800 or forthcoming P810 before I get the xda II. Regardless of what purplehead says, I just don't think any of the myriad of software alternatives can beat a dedicated input method as the thumbboard...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5. purpleX
    wanna bet this MDA thing will outsell treo 600 as a proof that thumboard isn't as big as you think?

This might be a hard preposition since HS/Sprint obviously has bigger presence in US than t-mo, but I am taking cue from Samsung i700 popularity.
  6.    #6  
    There is a slide on thumbboard acessory for those who must have qwerty input. I think that this sucker is going to be a real sleeper success. It improves on most of the shortcomings of the first XDA. I know that this is a Treo forum but it never hurts to compare!

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Originally posted by purpleX
    wanna bet this MDA thing will outsell treo 600 as a proof that thumboard isn't as big as you think?
    Well just from my experiences in the past year, I've seen 20-25 people with Treos, and only about 5~8 people with an XDA. Im not noting GSM or CDMA varieties, but this is just what I saw. It would be interesting to see what happens with T600 vs XDA2 though. This along with the fact that T-Mo isnt picking up the T600 either... I would like to use an XDA myself to see if I'd like it vs the T600, but I use Macs, and Linux at work, so it would be impossible for me to Sync it there...
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
  8. purpleX
    Originally posted by starrwulfe

Well just from my experiences in the past year, I've seen 20-25 people with Treos, and only about 5~8 people with an XDA. Im not noting GSM or CDMA varieties, but this is just what I saw. It would be interesting to see what happens with T600 vs XDA2 though. This along with the fact that T-Mo isnt picking up the T600 either... I would like to use an XDA myself to see if I'd like it vs the T600, but I use Macs, and Linux at work, so it would be impossible for me to Sync it there...
    well you also have to consider that the XDA is pretty expensive toy, gsm only. It was also introduced much later than entire treo line. It was microsoft first model in the phone arena.

treo on the other hand are 3 models, and some of them are practically given away. Those certainly add to treo numerical advantage.

but now that the XDAII is equpped with xScale, BT and new OS instead of battery hoager StrongArm. It would be far more viable competitor against treo 600.

but I personally still want to see what WANDA is all about. If it is as good as the hype, it will pull ahead of XDAII soon enough.
    I'm a former Treo 180/270 user who switched to an XDA with TMo. I've really liked the device, the screen res, and (gasp) even the OS, which, hate to break it to the Zen folks, is really easy to pick up and becomes intuitive very quickly, especially if you're used to a PC (btw for the Mac guy, you can sync PPC's with a Mac using software from pocketmac). The conventions are very similar from a PC to the PPC, so it's super easy.

That said, I REALLY miss a hard keyboard. I decided that I don't want a slide on keyboard like the one available for the XDA. Too bulky, inconvenient, etc.

Believe it or not though, as much as I thought that I'd NEVER go back to 2 separate devices, I'm actually thinking long and hard about getting the new Sony UX50 to go with the Siemens S55 BT phone I picked up recently.

I thought about it alot - I used the keyboard on the 180 and 270 for email and I liked it for surfing. I strongly prefer surfing in landscape mode - I use thunderhawk alot - and email would be preferable this way too, so a device like the UX50 would be great for me. And having a very small, light, powerful phone that is great at making phone calls (and providing GPRS data connectivity) is a nice thing too.

Not trying to sell this to the masses of 1 device people (i.e. Treo and XDA fans), just going through my thought process and where I am now. I may put my XDA on ebay and put the $ towards the UX50.

TM