1. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I have a question about Sprint's coverage in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago. I have searched for similar threads and found none.

I have a t-mobile sidekick, and continually lose calls my data access is sporadic. I think it is a combination of a weak radio and t-mobile's goofy network. I am on my 7th sidekick.

Anyway, I am looking at getting the $99 treo 300 deal. Since that will lock me in to Sprint for 2 years, I need to know that I won't be in the same boat as I am with my sidekick and t-mobile.

I have seen the coverage map, and it seems good, but so did t-mobile's.

Does anyone have any comments on relative strength of the 300's radio on Sprint's network, esp. in N/W Chicago suburbs? (Lake Zurich, Crystal Lake)

Thanks,

Joe
    Originally posted by joe
    I have a question about Sprint's coverage in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago. I have searched for similar threads and found none.

I have a t-mobile sidekick, and continually lose calls my data access is sporadic. I think it is a combination of a weak radio and t-mobile's goofy network. I am on my 7th sidekick.

Anyway, I am looking at getting the $99 treo 300 deal. Since that will lock me in to Sprint for 2 years, I need to know that I won't be in the same boat as I am with my sidekick and t-mobile.

I have seen the coverage map, and it seems good, but so did t-mobile's.

Does anyone have any comments on relative strength of the 300's radio on Sprint's network, esp. in N/W Chicago suburbs? (Lake Zurich, Crystal Lake)

Thanks,

Joe
    Well, I don't live up that way, but I've run a lot of jobs up in the Crystal Lake area, and I've *never* had a problem with coverage before...in fact, I really wondered the first time I went up there and was genuinely surprised that I got such a good (3-4 bars on my LG 5350 at the time) signal, considering I live right near Chicago.

At any rate, don't use me as the indicator, as there could be plenty of areas around there that aren't superb...but I've gotten excellent reception when I've been that way, if it counts. Also, the 300's got pretty decent reception, but it's not GREAT, so that might make a difference too...that old LG got a signal darn near everywhere. Just something to think about.

And hey, they give you 14 days with any new activation, so if it isn't that great for you, you *can* legally back out within that time!

Good luck!
    I've always found the Sprint coverage in the Chicago area to be pretty good, and I move around a lot. The north side is probably the area I visit the least, but I get up there enough to know it works. I can tell you it works as far southwest as Dwight and Streator, as far west as, well, Lincoln NE. Works good around Sugar grove, Oswego, and north near the Dupage apt. These are all places I go every week, and I've never had a problem. Matter of fact, the only place anywhere near chicago I can think of that it doesn't work great is right in dowtown. All the tall buildings I guess. That's ok with me since I only get dragged downtown a couple times a year.

For what its worth, I work as an airline pilot so when I'm working I'm in several cities a day. I've worked with crews with all kinds of phone services, and it used to be that there was a noticeable difference between Sprints coverage and, say, AT&T. No more, though. Lately I've been noticing that the Sprint coverage is just as good, if not better.

On the other hand, you DO have to actually deal with Sprint employees from time to time, and these are people that richly deserve their label as the worst customer service providers in the country.

Good luck,
    Joe
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I have also had great coverage in the Chicago area. There are several dead zones to cope with. Check out this link to see the problem areas.
    http://www.deadzones.homestead.com/index.html
  5. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Thanks, Guys.

Your replies are very helpful. I am getting the feeling that, if I want to get a good idea of coverage in my area, I am going to need to try it out for the two weeks. I am just nervous because of my experiences with T-Mobile. Everything was fine for the first 2 weeks (really, the first 2 months) then reception, dropped calls, and data problems went downhill.

I know I don't have much to lose in the first 2 weeks, but a 2 year contract is a long time to bite the bullet.

Joe
    Originally posted by joe
    Thanks, Guys.

Your replies are very helpful. I am getting the feeling that, if I want to get a good idea of coverage in my area, I am going to need to try it out for the two weeks. I am just nervous because of my experiences with T-Mobile. Everything was fine for the first 2 weeks (really, the first 2 months) then reception, dropped calls, and data problems went downhill.

I know I don't have much to lose in the first 2 weeks, but a 2 year contract is a long time to bite the bullet.

Joe
    Joe,

If you're that concerned (and believe me, I totally understand), why not put off giving them a 2-year commitment right now? They will usually (with some finagling) allow you to get all rebates/refunds on any phone without a service contract if you pay an extra $10 a month on top of your plan...which, yes, is steep, but it might be worth it for a few months' piece of mind.

Then again, Sprint is sometimes finicky, and they might not let you do it...I believe they do it on a case-by-case basis. Might be worth looking into, though...
    I live in Deerfield. I have far superior coverage with Sprint than I had with Verizon. Vastly improved.