1.    #1  
    Treo 600 Model Kit - GSM Version
    Recommended for ages 8 and up. Some assembly required.

Well, we've still got a long way to go until October and many of us haven't been lucky enough to get a closer look at the Treo 600 in person yet. Here is something to do if you're like me and want to have an idea of what the Treo 600 actually feels like to hold in your hand. I noticed that the dimensions are very similar to a pack of Marlboros. So get out your scissors and tape and try out this little project I put together.

Directions:
    1. Click on pdf image link and print.
    2. Cut out carefully and fold along lines (cutting around antenna)
    3. Wrap around an empty pack of cigarettes
    4. Tape sides together and enjoy!

Optional: Find a picture you like, trim size to W 1.75" x H 1.7" and tape over the screen area. Go impress your friends!

NOTE: This is not meant to be an exact replica, but will hopefully help give you an idea of what it feels like to hold a real Treo 600 in your hand. This is meant for novelty purposes only.

After doing this, I am even more excited about getting the Treo 600!! It really is a great design from the folks at Handspring! Let me know how this works out for you! Good luck and enjoy!

For the pdf file "Treo600_ModelKit.pdf," click here .

RayUSA

Note: Your computer and software application may affect the size of the printed file. Use the bottom measurement (2.26") as a reference.
    Last edited by RayUSA; 08/15/2003 at 06:40 AM.
    Thanks Ray, but hasn't someone else already done something like this?

Regardless, I love your enthusiam! I, like you, can't wait to get my hands on the real thing!
    Originally posted by RayUSA
    Treo 600 Model Kit

Well, we've still got a long way to go until October and many of us haven't been lucky enough to get a closer look at the Treo 600 in person yet. Here is something to do if you're like me and want to have an idea of what the Treo 600 actually feels like to hold in your hand. I noticed that the dimensions are very similar to a pack of Marlboros. So get out your scissors and tape and try out this fun little project I put together.

Directions:
    1. Download image and print.
    2. Cut out carefully and fold along lines (cutting around antenna)
    3. Wrap around an empty pack of cigarettes
    4. Tape together
    5. Enjoy!

NOTE: This of course is not exact scale, but it is relatively close. It is meant for novelty purposes only.

After doing this, I am even more excited about getting the Treo 600!! It really is a great design! Let me know how this works out for you! Enjoy!

RayUSA

WAIT A MINUTE... Before downloading... the image seems to be printing too large right now.. Am fixing it.
    Too Large?!?!

I printed mine and seems way to small...if this is the real size then I am more than exstatic. Gonna get the ruler and do some measuring.

Davo.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by tommygreen
    Thanks Ray, but hasn't someone else already done something like this?

Regardless, I love your enthusiam! I, like you, can't wait to get my hands on the real thing!
    Really??! I was looking for something like this. Do you know where the previous "kit" is? Thanks!

Ray

Do you know where the previous "kit" is?
    I'll look...
    Originally posted by djwhyte

Too Large?!?!

I printed mine and seems way to small...if this is the real size then I am more than exstatic. Gonna get the ruler and do some measuring.

Davo.
    Measured....now I work in metric over here, but after a few quick calculations, I worked out that my model was:
    1.46x3.15x0.71 inches
    Not far from the truth, so im still very happy
    OK, as promised, here it is: How to Build Your Own Treo 600 by wcarlson40.

Only thing is, it looks like the link in the original post is dead... so now it's definitely a good thing you posted your handywork!
  8.    #8  
    Thanks tommygreen!

It's fixed and prints fine now.

Ray
    Last edited by RayUSA; 08/15/2003 at 07:11 PM.
    This is too fun! I printed one for myself and my wife. I'm feeling giddy again over this thing. I gotta quit hanging around these discussion groups...
    Originally posted by tommygreen
    OK, as promised, here it is: How to Build Your Own Treo 600 by wcarlson40.

Only thing is, it looks like the link in the original post is dead... so now it's definitely a good thing you posted your handywork!
    The link is still good, my site is just down temporarily due to the power outages out east. Mine is to actual scale, but doesn't have a back picture to it.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Awesome!!! It printed perfectly and I love how it feels and looks in my hand. Thanks Ray.

Kirby
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by Exciter
    Awesome!!! It printed perfectly and I love how it feels and looks in my hand. Thanks Ray.

Kirby
    You're welcome Kirby! I'm glad you like it!

It's kinda funny how similar the Treo 600 dimensions are to a pack of cigarettes.

Treo 600 = (4.41 inches x 2.26 inches x 0.87) (LxWxD)
    Pack of Marlboros = (3.375 inches x 2.25 inches x 0.87) (LxWxD)

hmmm... Is Jeff Hawkins a smoker?

wcarlson40, I can't wait to see the one you made also. Hmmm... I guess there are more of us geeks here than I realized! haha Hope this blackout problem is fixed soon!

Here's a picture of what mine looks like. This model I created is actual size also, but I had to note that it wasn't an exact replica because the sides are... well... boxy and don't taper like the real Treo 600. I love how this thing feels in my hand, and it doesn't even have the smooth, rounded contours of the real thing!

RayUSA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RayUSA; 08/15/2003 at 02:01 AM.

wcarlson40, I can't wait to see the one you made also. Hmmm... I guess there are more of us geeks here than I realized! haha Hope this blackout problem is fixed soon!
    The site is back up again. Here's the link again:
    http://www.stacworks.com/Treo600.pdf
  14.    #14  
    Thanks wcarlson40, I'll check it out!

Well I just posted an update to the Treo 600 Model Kit I designed, complete with the top GSM panel. If you haven't tried it out yet, check it out here!

Let me know how it works for you! Good luck!

RayUSA
    Great artwork, Ray! Just a minor point--according to FCC manual the correct dimensions are 4.41" long and 2.36" wide (11.2 x 6 cm). It's just a tenth of an inch difference, the phone is still a very compact unit.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks Chu Zoo!
  17.    #17  
    I just made a new version of the Treo 600 with the pa1mOne logo and it doesn't look as good as the original Handspring logo IMO. I'll be curious to see what other changes they make on the Treo in 2004.

Has anyone else tried putting this together?
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    My family thinks I am officailly nuts building these things.... They dont "get it"

This model is WAY better than the old one..

Bring on the T600 GSM
  19.    #19  
    It sounds like some of you have missed some of the information (and photos) that have been shared on this forum in the past weeks.

Those "new" pics posted by Ravi have been out for awhile already. I even made this little Treo 600 model kit that you can put together with some of those exact images.

In case you missed it, here it is again.

Download Treo 600 Model Kit now
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    We are all very, very sad people.
    Look what you've turned us into Handspring. We're making models of your phone like we did when we were 5.
    Bring the bloody phone out before we start talking into these packs of cigarettes in public !!

Ravi