1.    #1  
    Customers can watch and hear the latest news, sports and entertainment updates from top brands such as ABC News, CBS MarketWatch, FOX Sports, NPR News, Sporting News Radio and The Weather Channel

how will this work with the 600, if at all?

Full Story
    From their press release:

on any full-color Java-enabled PCS Vision Phone.

and by that I'm sure they mean any phone based on J2ME, which of course the Treo (or any Palm-based device) is not. I'll take the trade-off btw what set of services are offered for J2ME devices vs all the content and apps that are out there for Palm-based devices.

I do, though, think that Palm needs to see the coming onslaught of functions that are being offered for the growing number of J2ME devices, and come up with a strategy to address that. I know that a lot of carriers prefer J2ME as a content delivery platform, and Palm needs to figure out how they can play in that world.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    From their press release:

on any full-color Java-enabled PCS Vision Phone.

and by that I'm sure they mean any phone based on J2ME, which of course the Treo (or any Palm-based device) is not. I'll take the trade-off btw what set of services are offered for J2ME devices vs all the content and apps that are out there for Palm-based devices.

I do, though, think that Palm needs to see the coming onslaught of functions that are being offered for the growing number of J2ME devices, and come up with a strategy to address that. I know that a lot of carriers prefer J2ME as a content delivery platform, and Palm needs to figure out how they can play in that world.
    Why are you presuming that J2ME apps won't run on the palm? There is a MIDP 1.0 release for Palm OS.

Edit: I just used it to try the first J2ME web broswer I found through google (Reqwireless WebViewer 3.0) and it woked like a charm!
    Last edited by silverado; 08/14/2003 at 10:07 AM.
    What do you make of this from the Real site:

The RealOne Mobile Player is available for the following platforms.
    Pocket PC

Nokia 9200 Series Communicator

Nokia Series 60 Phones

Palm OS 5 Based Handhelds

----

Palm OS 5 they say? Yes, but for local playback only for now. For things saved in the Palm device, not over the network.
    Originally posted by zamiv
    What do you make of this from the Real site:

The RealOne Mobile Player is available for the following platforms.
    Pocket PC

Nokia 9200 Series Communicator

Nokia Series 60 Phones

Palm OS 5 Based Handhelds

----

Palm OS 5 they say? Yes, but for local playback only for now. For things saved in the Palm device, not over the network.
    From my experience so far, a J2ME player should work on the Palm!
    While I'm not a java expert, all I can say is that I have a general belief that J2ME apps won't work on the Treo (yes, I know - that's a PalmOS3 device, and maybe OS5 will be better).
    Try this: Get an OS5 device, connect to the Internet via BT or Wi-Fi or whatever, and see if you can download the various content that Sprint has for their Java phones. My bet is that it won't work.

I guess I'm drawing a distinction btw J2ME APPS and J2ME as a platform for delivering content. While the Palm OS may do the former, I don't think it can do the latter. But I'm definitely not an expert.

So here's my point: J2ME (and BREW from Qualcomm) are designed to work with most devices, but I don't <think> the Palm OS supports J2ME (or BREW) in the way that a carrier would want to use it: Downloading content, games, ringtones, etc - we can't do any of that now with the Treo, via Sprint's network. Fortunately, since the Treo is Palm-based, we have other avenues of accessing that sort of content.
    Perhaps the Treo600 will be different and can support J2ME for downloadable content like most of Sprint's other java-enabled phones. I know the 600 has a lot of over-the-air capabilities....

Someone who's an expert should chime in here and shut me up.
    nrosser,

You are right, the current version of MIDP 1.0 for Palm does not support downloading the java applications directly from the web; you have to download it to a computer that runs J2SE and convert the jad/jar files to a PRC. While this can stand in the way of downloading java apps from your service provider, it shouldn't be a problem with viewing streaming media, since you could load the player offline and then run it to view the media.

Also, carriers separate programs by phone type, they could have PRC versions of the java apps for the Treo 600 to download. From what I've read, Blazer 3.0 will be able to download applications and ringtones.

In addition, it is conceivable that someone could write the conversion utility to run on the palm so that the native jad/jar files could be converted locally.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    This may seem a stupid question, but I've downloaded the MIDP prc to my Treo, but I can't figure out how to get the ReqViewer into my phone. I've downloaded the J2SE and installed it, but getting it to even open the ReqViewer is escaping me as well as the statement that you would use this to convert the app to a prc.

Any help ?