Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been using a Kyocera Smartphone for a while and really like it. Company is moving to AT&T, so I can't use it anymore. I am switching to the 270 which is not nearly as good. I am hoping to get the 600 when it comes out.

The one feature that I can't believe is not included in the 270 or the 600 is voice dialing. I use it all the time. My original Smartphone, more that 3 years old now had it. Most small phones have it. I think the 600 looks great, but this is a big oversight.

What do you think?
    Originally posted by Static
    I have been using a Kyocera Smartphone for a while and really like it. Company is moving to AT&T, so I can't use it anymore. I am switching to the 270 which is not nearly as good. I am hoping to get the 600 when it comes out.

The one feature that I can't believe is not included in the 270 or the 600 is voice dialing. I use it all the time. My original Smartphone, more that 3 years old now had it. Most small phones have it. I think the 600 looks great, but this is a big oversight.

What do you think?
    I hear ya. I was surprised when I got my Treo 300 that it didn't have voice dialing. Then when I found out the 600 doesn't have it either, I was dumbfounded. I know Sprint has a feature called Voice Command that includes voice dialing that's $5 a month. I don't know if the GSM carriers have anything like that.
  3.    #3  
    Dumbfounded is right. I actually called Handspring yesterday to confirm it didn't have it. When the woman said it didn't, I told her to pass the word on that I think it is a terrible mistake. I work in New York, where handsfree is the law. It is so much easier to call when driving when all I have to do is push one button without looking and then say the name.

I am incredulous about this. This is not a new or esoteric feature and I think it is an oversight in mid 2003.

I probably don't use any feature more, so it is more than just an inconvenience or something that Handspring decided to do differently. I just hope they read this and do something about it sooner rather than later.

Other than that, I assure it will be a nice phone/PDA.
    Sounds like a good idea for 3rd party software!

Local voicemail would also be cool!
    I was so happy to blow off the sprint rep about Voice Command when I first got my Kyo 6035!!! She didn't even know about it and tried her best to tell me how much I needed it!

I sure hope there is a 3rd party app to do this! A one time pay for the program and done.

I know the Voice command at Sprint is "Only" $5 a month extra, but as my late father-in-law always said "It's the Only's that kill ya"!
    I wonder if Handspring being beholden to Sprint has anything to do with it?
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I wonder if Handspring being beholden to Sprint has anything to do with it?
    If that's the case, why wouldn't the GSM model have it? The last conspiracy theory involved the call history not showing call length. The 300 doesn't, the 270 does. But voice dial isn't in the 270 or 300 and not in either model of 600.
    Because during the development of the 600 Sprint was really the only company with a lot of interest, so they probably could dictate the base design. That's my guess, at least.
    Because during the development of the 600 Sprint was really the only company with a lot of interest, so they probably could dictate the base design. That's my guess, at least.
    I guess that makes considering no American GSM carrier or Verizon has signed on to offer the Treo 600 yet. I really don't want to pay for Voice Command so here's my question. Do you think someone could write a program for the 600 to use the voice recording capabilities to make voice dialing and integrate it into the phone app? I would think it could be done. But if so, why hasn't anyone done it for the 270 or 300? Oh well...
    I think it can be done with the 600. To answer your last question, it hasn't been done on the Treos to date because it's impossible on them.
    I think it can be done with the 600. To answer your last question, it hasn't been done on the Treos to date because it's impossible on them.
    That would be a good reason, heh. Hopefully someone will figure it out with the 600.
    Well, I've noticed that Palm based phones don't have voice command in general (one or two might, but I don't really research this). The reason I would think is that it hasn't been there is that it requires speech recognition which is a huge drain of computer power and battery. I don't know how the other phones could do it, and the new chip in the 600 should make it a piece of cake.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

If that's the case, why wouldn't the GSM model have it? The last conspiracy theory involved the call history not showing call length. The 300 doesn't, the 270 does. But voice dial isn't in the 270 or 300 and not in either model of 600.
    The weird thing is that the call length is on the 300. Handspring's PhoneBook app just doesn't display the call length on the Call History screen.

Later today I will be releasing "Treo Call History Archive" for the Mac OS that will convert and import the PhoneCallDB.pdb
    which contains all this info and more.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    Well, I've noticed that Palm based phones don't have voice command in general (one or two might, but I don't really research this). The reason I would think is that it hasn't been there is that it requires speech recognition which is a huge drain of computer power and battery. I don't know how the other phones could do it, and the new chip in the 600 should make it a piece of cake.
    Other phones presumably have nicely optimized DSP chips. Palms do not and therefore have to make do with a generalist processor.
    I believe the SPH-i500 has voice dial. Since the Treo 600 will be technologically superior in most aspects, I assume it could have been done with the 600 as well.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    I believe the SPH-i500 has voice dial. Since the Treo 600 will be technologically superior in most aspects, I assume it could have been done with the 600 as well.
    Do you know where the sound is routed on the SPH? Does the palm processor do the heavy lifting or does some other chip?
    Do you know where the sound is routed on the SPH? Does the palm processor do the heavy lifting or does some other chip?
    I have no idea how it's done. I just know the basic specs that just about everyone knows by now. When I saw how inferior it is compared to the Treo 600, I didn't look much deeper and figured I'd wait for the 600.
  18. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Well, I know the Kyocera 6035 (which I just switched from) has the Voice dial built-in.

This makes me believe that it isn't a technology issue (assuming Treo 300 is equal or superior in technology).

Does anyone know if this is a Palm app, or Kyocera phone-specific app? Would it be possible to reverse-engineer this app?

Sad thing is, I just started using this feature about 2 weeks prior to getting my Treo... and I really started liking it.

PS. Ain't not way in hell am I giving Sprint $5 more a month for this!
    well if it's as suggested that the kyocera has an extra chip for doing phone functions it makes sense. I haven't used the kyocera, but it sounds to me like it might be basically a phone and a pda glued together and not really integrated. What I mean by that, is can you do things like dial from the address book or something that would require the phone part to talk well with the pda part?

It's this kind of integration that interests me most with the Treo 600.
  20. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Yea, you can click on the phone number in the contact list to have it dial for you... but otherwise, the integration is pretty lame.

Really... the voice-dial is the only feature I'll miss. By all other accounts, the Treo 300 is heads and shoulders above.

(By the way, I paid $49 for my Treo 300. $349 at ComUSA and $300 service credit. I bought the extended waranty for $99... cause I figured my Treo might *accidentally* break when the 600 comes out. )
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast