1.    #1  
    Howdy,

I was wondering if anyone may have any information regarding possible "aftermarket" software conflicts concerning the Sprint Treo 300.

These are the additional programs I currently have loaded on the unit: SnapperMail and QuickOffice Premiere.

Approximately three times a day I get the Fatal Error message that instructs me to "reset" the unit. Sprint said that most likely one of the third-party programs was causing the Fatal Error. SnapperMail said that they are unaware of any major conflicts as did QuickOffice.

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon, and if so, is there a solution?

I like my Treo very much, but it is really starting to become more of an annoyance than a "time saver."

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pep Streebeck
    Hi Pep,

I have a treo300 with both Quickoffice Premier, and Snappermail installed, along with many, many, other 3rd party programs and hacks. I get the occasional fatal error (maybe once a week, if that) that I usually narrow down to some new piece of software I installed (which I promptly remove). Not really sure why yours is crashing 3 times a day, but I can say that just having Snappermail and Quickoffice shouldn't do it. What versions of the software are you running? Do you get the fatal error after some specific action? I'm running SM 1.7.3.01 and QO 7.0.4. If you have the newer version of QO, maybe a new bug appeared.
  3.    #3  
    Hey,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am running Snappermail 1.6.2.01 and Quickoffice 7.0.38. It seems you are running newer versions of these programs; I've had these installed since April (when I purchased the Treo) and I had no idea that newer versions would have already been released.

So, I assume I should probably get the latest versions of these programs, install them, and see if the problems persist.

And, yes, it's been anywhere from three to five times a day on average that I get the fatal error. I've never had such a terrible time with any gadget I've owned. I dig the Treo, but this situation has led me to believe that the unit is buggy overall.

Anyhow, thanks for the info.

Pep
    I'm glad I could help. You might want to check out the Quickoffice yahoo users group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quickoffice_users and the Snappermail yahoo users group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnapperMail/. I find them very useful not only for trouble-shooting, but also for learning about updates. It's actually quite amazing how often Snappermail updates their program.

I'd be pretty disillusioned, too, if mine was crashing 3 times a day. I really hope you find a solution to your problem because the Treo300 is a great device when it's working well.
    To detect the source of the error, you may want to install something like Crash Hack from www.palmgear.com.

Also it would be helpful to post the exact message you see when your 300 crashes.

Business Connection or other applications that make automatic connections to the Internet could be to blame. Do you use BC? and have you kept up to date on new versions?
    I'd have to agree with the first two responses...I don't think it is a matter of your equipment being "buggy". I have it happen once in awhile when installing different apps. It can be maddening though because you need to systematically figure out what one is craching the system. I know when I go looking on the net for a new app, I usually find other apps that I wasn't looking for. Then I when I get an error I have to figure out which of the ten apps is fraeking out my system.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks to all of you for the tips.

Regarding BC: No, I don't use it at all. I only use SnapperMail to grab mail from my "@sprintpcs.com" pop account. I wanted to use BC to handle all of my mail from work, but the problem is that I get around 300 spam messages a day, and I certainly wouldn't want to get all of that spam on my Treo.

Anyhow, thanks again to all of you who posted. I feel much more relieved now that I have a place to start.

Best regards,

Pep Streebeck