Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I used to use a Kyocera 6035, I want to know if I have to use the Vision service in order to browse the web again. I was fine with my palm turning into a 14.4 modem. Can the Treo do this defaultly? I don't want to be charged .35 a minute.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I had a 6035 and now a T300, I didn't take the vision. The phone has a modem and for the amount of use I give it (not a lot on web) except to look up my aol mail, I decided not to take the Vision service. Phone works fine without.
    Just keep in mind that anything you do counts against your minutes, and I haven't gone over. So, it doesn't cost 35 or 40 cents a minute.
    If you use it a lot, maybe you'll need Vision, but I decided to save the extra bucks.
    If I ever start going over my minutes I would consider it.
    Steve
    Steve M
    Catman51
    Happy with my T300
    Waiting for my T600
  3.    #3  
    So then what the heck is the vision service for, just a faster download? Do I have to have the web service in order to use the palm modem with my minutes? I still have it from when I carried over my Kyocera. The sprint rep was saying somethign about me being charged .35 a minute, I am assuming that's if I discontinued my web option.
    Here's how I see the difference btw Vision and just dialing up (and I had a 6035 on Verizon, with just generic dial up data access).
    The main benefits that Vision provide are speed and limitless access. So, if you don't need faster access or think that your dial up minute use will not exceed those in your plan, then you may not need Vision. Think of Vision as moderately high-speed, mostly persistent broadband, compared to AOL dial up. With Vision, you get unlimited access at a fairly decent speed.

Another way to compare is this - I started using wireless Palm data access back in the days of Omnisky (remember them?). They had an unlimited data thing for like $35. Not high speed really, but unlimited CDPD access (I used their modem sled with my Palm Vx - man was I cool). When the 6035 came out, I jumped over to Verizon to get it, and have a single device. Note that I was used to unlimited access with O-sky. I got a 2000 minute plan with VZW, knowing that I'd need lots of minutes in the bucket for data. The plan was like $200 for 2000 unlim minutes. My first bill was something in the area of $600!! Holy shiznit! Time to rethink my data usage, which I didn't really dig.

So then when the 300 came out,, I hopped over to Sprint, due to color, always-on (generally) and UNLIMITED data. All those things caused me to leave VZW. I have the 2000 minute plan, unlimited data, Vision added on for $10, and my monthly bill averages about $105. I pretty much use my cell phone as my office phone, and rarely get close to going over the 2000 minutes.
    So - for me, Vision was a necessity - it dramatically lowered my bill ($105 vs avg of $250), gave me always-on data (vs dial up), and much faster speed.
    It was a no-brainer in my situation; your needs may be different.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    >The sprint rep was saying somethign about me being charged .35 a minute, I am assuming that's if I discontinued my web option.

Definitely keep the web option at $5 a month if you don't go for the vision.
    Steve M
    Catman51
    Happy with my T300
    Waiting for my T600
    Those were the days! Lol. I bought my first Palm in August 1999, a Palm IIIx, with 4MB of Ram and I signed up immediately with Verizon Wireless, for their unlimited CDPD service and got a big bulky Novatel III external wireless modem. I surfed the Internet using the Proxiweb browser in those days. I use to drop that modem often and send it to Novatel for repair. I was one of the early adoptees. I signed up for a 2 year deal with Verizon at $39.99 a month, unlimited access. 9 months later the price came down to $24.99 a month, unlimited access. I used it alot. No way did I get 19.2 with that. Moreover, it didn't work too well inside of buildings. I used Sprint PCS as my cell phone carrier but never considered them for the Wireless Web. After my two year deal with Verizon's CDPD service expired in the summer of 2001, I bought a wireless web connection kit for my Qualcomm 2700 phone and switched my plan to total digital solutions and surfed the Internet at 14.4. That was much faster in reality than Verizon's CDPD. It was just wierd carrying a data cable around all the time.

So, I'm pretty happy with Vision. I waited till the middle of December 2002 to sign up and change plans. It is much faster. So far, everything has been okay. No major problems. I even got rid of my Qualcomm 2700 phone and bought a Sanyo 6400 phone a few weeks ago for $49.99. But old habits die hard. I bought a 10 inch data cable from www.thesupplynet.com for my Treo 90 and now connect to Vision with that once in a while. Who knows how long my Treo 300 will last?
  7.    #7  
    So the question I guess I still have is this, what is Vision. Do I get extra software to run special sites or is it the same thing I have no just faster?
    Originally posted by reverland
    So the question I guess I still have is this, what is Vision. Do I get extra software to run special sites or is it the same thing I have no just faster?
    Sprint's Wireless Web for its 2G service was only about as fast as a 14.4k modem. While using a phone on the WW, you were limited to very basic WAP sites. It also used your minutes. Vision is Sprint's data portion of the 3G network. For one thing, it supports average speeds of 60-90kbps, with a peak of 144kbps. So you can see it's MUCH faster than the Wireless Web. There's a LOT more content on Vision just by going through Sprint's portals. Not only that, but the Treo's built in Blazer browser can view most full HTML websites. Other browsers such as Xiino can even support javascript.

As far as billing goes, like you know, the WW used your minutes. If you had the $5 WW option, it only used your minutes, otherwise you'd get charged $.40 per minute on top of that. With Vision, you're charged for data, not minutes. With no Vision plan, you get charged $.02 per kilobyte you download. If you have a Vision Pack which costs $15 per month, you have unlimited Vision. This means you could use Vision to surf the web, send e-mail, do anything you want 24/7 if you want and not incur any extra charges.
    While using a phone on the WW, you were limited to very basic WAP sites.

I was able to connect to almost any site on the Internet using the Blazer or Xino browser with Sprint's Wireless Web connection kit using my Qualcomm 2700 cell phone and my Palm IIIc, Handera 330 or Palm M130.

To be sure, Vision is a big improvement over those days.
    Originally posted by rarebird
    While using a phone on the WW, you were limited to very basic WAP sites.

I was able to connect to almost any site on the Internet using the Blazer or Xino browser with Sprint's Wireless Web connection kit using my Qualcomm 2700 cell phone and my Palm IIIc, Handera 330 or Palm M130.

To be sure, Vision is a big improvement over those days.
    I should have made that clearer. The 2G phones could only access basic WAP sites. A Treo 300 on the WW can view HTML sites but only VERY slowly. That being said, there are still Vision portals that you can't access by the Wireless Web even with a Treo.
    (not to continue to beat this horse, but)

Bottom line - 'Vision' is a marketing name, and not really any ONE single thing. It's really a combination of faster data access (via the speeded-up 2.5G Sprint network), unlimited access to that speeded up data side of things (which is really just a billing matter), and, in the case of the Treo, a richer browsing experience via the Blazer or Xiino or other more-feature rich browsers. There are other Sprint phones (most commonly J2ME-based ones) that have similar, but slightly different capabilities.

You can think of Vision as a combination of faster and unlimited data access via a more-capable browser. Sprint packages all that into the name of Vision. Other carrier's names for similar functionality include M-Mode from AT&T Wireless, Express Network from Verizon, and whatever T-Mobile calls their cool new stuff.
    It's generally all marketing spin, packaging a bunch of features and capabilities into one combined name. Make sense?
    Dont be fooled by this whole "vision" ordeal. It is the same fricking network and same exact download speeds as when you have WW for your treo. I have had the wireless web and vision on my treo 300 at one point in time, and ww only, and vision only. Could I tell a difference? Absolutely not. You can go to teh exact same sites-since it is still the same browser, you can go to the same sites, which is like none, because half the sites these days require javascript.

Only difference between vision and WW is maybe the ability to download ring tones or some stupid thing like that, which you could get free off of Kazaa or something. Basically, you pay 15 for vision whereas you only pay 5 with WW, and if you have minutes to blow, WW is the way to go. I will switch to WW since Sprint decided to raise the price of Vision out of nowhere.

Even with Vision right now, I don't download that much. I may be on there for hours, like when i'm driving long distance, but in terms of how much downloaded..not that many MB, certainly no where near a gig. If you do stay w/ Vision, the only way to make it worth it is to download gigs of stuff, but not on that stupid slow browser. How can people say this browser is fast? Maybe in comparison to other's networks, but realistically, it is still like 14.4 speeds. How can you guys stand this slow *** browser? Its only mediocre at best..and not a real web browsing experience. Go to VW.com for example..the whole page wont be there with all the links. Another example is tmobile.com...where are the damn links? I guess i should use a better browser. But other browsers (Xeno) will crash your phone. There is no good solution for now..only until you can get a Wifi SDIO card, and once they infrustructure up the whole country, then you will have a good web surfing experience. but for now, this **** is frustrating...takes 10 minutes just to look up directions or movie times. Only takes me 30 seconds in my home w/ broadband.
    Originally posted by josephtse
    Dont be fooled by this whole "vision" ordeal. It is the same fricking network and same exact download speeds as when you have WW for your treo. I have had the wireless web and vision on my treo 300 at one point in time, and ww only, and vision only. Could I tell a difference? Absolutely not. You can go to teh exact same sites-since it is still the same browser, you can go to the same sites, which is like none, because half the sites these days require javascript.

Only difference between vision and WW is maybe the ability to download ring tones or some stupid thing like that, which you could get free off of Kazaa or something. Basically, you pay 15 for vision whereas you only pay 5 with WW, and if you have minutes to blow, WW is the way to go. I will switch to WW since Sprint decided to raise the price of Vision out of nowhere.

Even with Vision right now, I don't download that much. I may be on there for hours, like when i'm driving long distance, but in terms of how much downloaded..not that many MB, certainly no where near a gig. If you do stay w/ Vision, the only way to make it worth it is to download gigs of stuff, but not on that stupid slow browser. How can people say this browser is fast? Maybe in comparison to other's networks, but realistically, it is still like 14.4 speeds. How can you guys stand this slow *** browser? Its only mediocre at best..and not a real web browsing experience. Go to VW.com for example..the whole page wont be there with all the links. Another example is tmobile.com...where are the damn links? I guess i should use a better browser. But other browsers (Xeno) will crash your phone. There is no good solution for now..only until you can get a Wifi SDIO card, and once they infrustructure up the whole country, then you will have a good web surfing experience. but for now, this **** is frustrating...takes 10 minutes just to look up directions or movie times. Only takes me 30 seconds in my home w/ broadband.
    Absolutely not true. I average 6-8k/s which works out to 48-64kbps, so that's slightly faster than dial up. If you never got over 14.4k/s, something was wrong with your Treo or there was a lot of network congestion.

Even if you had a broadband connection on your phone somehow the browsing would never be as fast as on a computer. You don't have the processing power to render graphics and process the information so it'll always be slower. Plently of people consistently average 120 kbps when using their Treo as a modem.

I've found Xiino to be ten times better than Blazer except for rendering graphics. It's faster and supports Javascript. It's never crashed my Treo. Blazer is horribly slow, so that could be part of the problem too. One thing you have to understand is that Blzer, Xiino, AvantGo, and Eudora are not like IE or Netscape. They're tiny Palm applications and do not have a capabilities of a full Windows browser. Xiino handles javascript but only in a limited fashion. There are some things it can't do and a ton of things Blazer can't do. Have you seen what's on VW.com on your computer? There's a lot of javascript that is beyond the ability of any of those browsers. That is a software limitation of the Treo and not Sprint's network being slow.

Of course you won't get an internet experience on your Treo like you do on your computer. It's got a 33 mhz CPU and a total of 16mb of RAM. What do you expect? It's a PDA and a phone, not a P4 with 512mb of RAM. You need to realize that. It's true that the Treo could do more than a regular 2G phone on WW because of the browser. But it is NOT the same network and download speeds are 5-10 times faster on Vision than the WW. Don't take your bad experience and generalize that as the rule for the entire network.
    Last edited by letsgoflyers81; 08/15/2003 at 01:17 PM.
    I am under the impression that WW is circuit switched and therefore requires a dialup and disconnect for each session. Unlike Vision, you cannot recieve a call while reading a webpage if you haven't chosen to disconnect.

This may be wrong, but this is my interpretation.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I am under the impression that WW is circuit switched and therefore requires a dialup and disconnect for each session. Unlike Vision, you cannot recieve a call while reading a webpage if you haven't chosen to disconnect.

This may be wrong, but this is my interpretation.
    You can't receive a call when using Vision either.
    That's not entirely true. With Vision, you can't receive a call while transmitting data. In between the actual moments when data is going up or down, you can receive calls. This is different than with dial-up, which blocks phone usage during the whole connection period. The advantage of Vision is I can be surfing the web and receive calls while I'm reading a page I just downloaded.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Yes you can. I do it all the time. You can't do it when you are actively recieving or sending data (loading a web page) but can do so between such instances (reading a web page). A dialup connection (WW) requries you to be using the phone connection at all points between the initial connection and eventual disconnection. That is the fundamental difference.
    Yeah, that's true. By "using" Vision I meant actively transmitting data. If the connection runs idle and you get the grey arrows, you can make and receive calls. On the WW you couldn't make or receive calls at all if you were connected.
    Yeah, right, you just don't know what your talking about.
    Originally posted by Darth Pooh
    Yeah, right, you just don't know what your talking about.
    You've had a Treo for 2 days and Sprint for 3 weeks. Get over yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast