Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1.    #1  
    So I got to play with a Treo 600 the other day (through a friend and, no, I didn't get to keep it :-)

    Overall I liked it: smaller, faster, and more functionality than my Treo 300.

    Here are some random observations (caveat emptor: the unit I saw was a beta so things may change by the time the 600 is released)

    - Screen is better than the 300 but not perfect. I found it good in artificial lighting and indirect sunlight (e.g. outside but in the shade). However it was still pretty hard to read in direct sunlight.

    - Speed was good. A lot of the apps were way more responsive (first time I'd played with an ARM-powered Palm).

    - Navigating the built-in apps with the "5-way" pad was fairly intuitive and much nicer than using the stylus or fingernail. You do have to pay attention where your current focus is though.

    - Camera was disappointing: the picture quality indoors was poor, outdoors was at best "OK". In low-light the Treo cranks the exposure time way high which results in a lot of blurry pictures.

    - The menu button is little hard to access one handed. It's position at the bottom of the phone made it awkward to hit with my thumb (YMMV)

    I also beamed two apps to 600: iSilo v3.3 and Mapopolis v5.15. The former because it's one of my favorite apps, the latter because it runs slowly on my 300.
    - iSilo ran fine, no surprises (other than the very welcome speed increase when panning around large images). It will support the 5-way pad in the future.
    - Mapopolis ran but would not display correctly, making it impossible to use. Lesson learned: if there are apps you really care about, test them on the Simulator and the 600 ROMs to make sure you won't be disappointed with the 600


    Before you ask...
    - Didn't get to test the wireless functionality of the Treo
    - Dunno its price
    - Dunno its release date (although FWIW my friend estimated EO September/Early October)


    Since you ask...
    ... Yes, I expect I'll be upgrading :-)
  2. dsdxp's Avatar
    Posts
    183 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    #2  
    Dunno its release date (although FWIW my friend estimated EO September/Early October)
    The Treo 300 Sale (save $300 on purchase & activation of Treo 300) ends on October 10th. Maybe thats when the Treo 600 comes out...
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by olop

    - Screen is better than the 300 but not perfect. I found it good in artificial lighting and indirect sunlight (e.g. outside but in the shade). However it was still pretty hard to read in direct sunlight.
    That's a little disappointing to hear. I was hoping the color STN screen would be a huge upgrade for viewing in direct sunlight.
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic


    That's a little disappointing to hear. I was hoping the color STN screen would be a huge upgrade for viewing in direct sunlight.
    Maybe it wasn't on the "blindingly bright" setting.



    Just kidding, I know it's the "reflective" aspect of the display that's supposed to help in sunlight.

    Seriously though, olop, did you play with the contrast setting and see if there was a setting good for both in and outdoors?
    Last edited by silverado; 08/12/2003 at 11:23 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Seriously though, olop, did you play with the contrast setting and see if there was a setting good for both in and outdoors?
    Didn't play with it outdoors but it was on max brightness. It's possible that there's a different setting that would have been better but I doubt it. The display just washed out in direct sunlight. Just like my 300 (although, in the shade, the 600 did much better)

    Note that the unit I saw was a test device. Maybe (fingers crossed :-) the screen wasn't of as high quality as the production run?

    Hope so!
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by olop

    Didn't play with it outdoors but it was on max brightness. It's possible that there's a different setting that would have been better but I doubt it. The display just washed out in direct sunlight. Just like my 300 (although, in the shade, the 600 did much better)

    Note that the unit I saw was a test device. Maybe (fingers crossed :-) the screen wasn't of as high quality as the production run?

    Hope so!
    What's supposed to help in sunlight is not the brightness of the backlight, but the fact that it is a reflective screen (no light can compete with the sun). So contrast would be the control that might make a difference.
    Last edited by silverado; 08/13/2003 at 12:05 PM.
  7. #7  
    (no light can compete with the sun)
    Nor, really, would you want it to.
  8. #8  
    I am sorry you were disappointed at the camera function, but really...

    I mean this isn't made to replace your Canon 5 Megapixel S50 or anything...


    The camera is a GREAt convience like if you are with someone just to snap a quick shot. or to take one just when you see something interesting.


    I do not think anyone should really expect a full featured camera here... as long as it works.. and 640-x480 isn't horrible for just the web or to view.
  9. #9  
    I assume that the image quality as seen on the device is much poorer than how they look on your PC when they transfer across. It seems fair to assume that the camera is taking 16-bit images and that these are being dithered to 160x160 for display on the handheld. I would expect the PC versions to look pretty good.
  10. #10  
    thanks for the post. as a rep. on the go the correct combo hand held is desperately needed. my 300 is barely acceptable for me.

    the poor day light screen is a device killer. they still can't get it right.

    i'm going monochrome hunting with voice recording, voice dialing, , email notification on a palm platform. any suggestions would be welcome. the treo 600 is now out.
  11. #11  
    The camera picture quality needs to be on par w/ the nokia 7650/3650 standards.
    the samsung V200's camera picture is excellent while that of the p800 is dissapointing. the worst is those of the nokia 7250.
    The future p900(?) is rumored to come w/ a megapixel camera.
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    thanks for the post. as a rep. on the go the correct combo hand held is desperately needed. my 300 is barely acceptable for me.

    the poor day light screen is a device killer. they still can't get it right.

    i'm going monochrome hunting with voice recording, voice dialing, , email notification on a palm platform. any suggestions would be welcome. the treo 600 is now out.
    I think you are mostly out of luck with voice recording and voice dialing on the palm platform. You might be able to get a plam with voice recording, but I don't think it will be a phone. You won't get voice dialing that I know of unless you go with something like a carrier's server based-version (instead of the phone having the voice recognition software). Sprint has something like this, but you won't find much that's monochrome. It seems as if you want a phone with qualities from different eras. Even though you have a good reason for it, you might as well be asking for a computer that runs off of vacuum tubes, with a SVGA screen and USB support.
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by dulinor


    Nor, really, would you want it to.
    Ha... good point.
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by JTREOB

    the poor day light screen is a device killer. they still can't get it right.
    Don't take that for granted! I appreciate Olop's report and respect his experience, but it's a single user's experience on a single pre-production unit with unknown contrast calibration. I'd hold the verdict until the units are out and being sold and the reports flow in.
  15. #15  
    ".....I think you are mostly out of luck with voice recording and voice dialing on the palm platform. You might be able to get a plam with voice recording, but I don't think it will be a phone....."


    the Kyo 6035 does both on a palm-based platform - probably still my favorite combo device as talk time was awesome and it was a rock (literally and figuratively - form factor was its weak spot - too heavy for shirt pocket) - wife uses it now as I have a 270 - I passed on the Kyo 7135 due to battery issues but will give the 600 a very long look
  16. #16  
    So, did you get to play with the thumb board? How did you like typing on it? Did the reshaping of the keys really help make the keys easier to hit despite being squeezed closer together?
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by silverado

    Don't take that for granted! I appreciate Olop's report and respect his experience, but it's a single user's experience on a single pre-production unit with unknown contrast calibration. I'd hold the verdict until the units are out and being sold and the reports flow in.
    I agree with Silverado (about the "don't take this for granted" bit, not sure about the "respect his experience" part :-)

    It's possible that changing the contrast could have helped, though I doubt it because the sunlight just overwhelmed the screen (side by side I found the 600's screen almost as hard to read my 300's).

    I'm thinking (and hoping) "inferior screen" theory will prove correct and the production 600s will be better.

    FWIW, I had a Dell Axim to compare with and the difference in direct sunlight was amazing. The Dell's screen hardly washed out at all.
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by monkeywithacold
    So, did you get to play with the thumb board? How did you like typing on it? Did the reshaping of the keys really help make the keys easier to hit despite being squeezed closer together?
    I did and found it similar to the 300s, HOWEVER I was told that the keyboard of the unit I was playing with was substantially inferior the production unit's keyboard.

    So I reserve judgement... but the keyboard I used was certainly no worse my 300's.
  19. #19  
    it would be a shame if the screen turns out again to be poor in day light.
    the samsung 500 does have voice recording, voice dialing and is on a palm os. thus it can be done
  20. #20  
    Let's not forget JakeE's experience. From his famous article:

    The screen was amazingly bright, clear and easy to read in and outdoors…even in bright direct sunlight.
    Let's hope the inferior unit theory holds.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions