Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I own a Treo 300 & the only problem I have is that it is a bit too big for my pocket & I hate those belt cases. I would like a smaller form factor & I'm undecided between the new T600 or the SPHi500; since both use Palm 5.0.

Anybody enlighten me why I should go either way? Thanks.
    Last edited by PDAman; 08/18/2003 at 02:47 PM.
    Originally posted by PDAman
    I own a Treo 300 & the only problem I have is that it is a bit too big for my pocket & I hate those belt cases. I would like a smaller form factor & I'm undecided between the new T600 or the SPHi500; since both use Palm 5.0.

Easy to answer:

1.) Do you like a.) thumboard or b.) graffitti?
    2.) Do you like a.) candybar or b.) flip phones?

If you like a.), get the Treo 600, if b.), get the i500
    I thought the sPh-i500 uses Palm OS 4??

The sGh-i500 uses Palm OS 5
    Originally posted by PDAman

The SPH-i500 uses Palm 4.1, not 5. The Treo 600 in fact uses Palm 5.2. Besides the fact that the Treo 600 has double the RAMof the i500, it also has an SDIO slot and VGA camera which the i500 doesn't.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the info...you are right about the 4.1 OS; I guess as long as it fits in my front pockets, I'll be a happy camper. Too bad the T600 doesn't have a cover. Time to start thinking about screen protectors....hummm
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I don't think you'll be able to fit a "Samsonite" into your pocket
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by procure
    I don't think you'll be able to fit a "Samsonite" into your pocket
    I think a gorilla was throwing the phone around in a cage....

Oops, dating myself.
    the samsung has 2 great features the treo does'nt and appears won't,

1. voice dialing
    2. voice recorder which also lets you record the incoming phone voice.

and don't forget the large easy to use numeric pads for phone dialing, essential when driving and making a call to a party that's not in the voice dialing memory.

rank your desired features and match them up to the phone then you'll know.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 08/15/2003 at 01:17 AM.
    Originally posted by JTREOB

1. voice dialing

and don't forget the large easy to use numeric pads for phone dialing, essential when driving and making a call to a party that's not in the voice dialing memory.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Handspring has released the API for the voice recoder in the Treo600 SDK that will allow the capability for voice recording as well as voice dialing. Thus, these features will be available on the Treo600 as well. Futhermore the API will give access to the phone stream to record the conversation, something the i5 is not capable of. Also in reference to phone dialing, the Treo 600 will allow you to configure automatic speed dial to any key on the thumbboard. This feature plus the soft as well as hard numeric keypad gives multiple dialig options for the Treo600...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

1. voice dialing

I've had phone's with these features in the past, and for the most part, they're pretty much worthless.

I find *Talk (Voice Command) takes care of any issues when driving; speed dial that and I'm good to go.
    gfunk, my desire is the treo 600, but i need the voice recorder and a daylight viewing screen. if i'm to understand it correctly there will be an app for voice recording? please expand on your earlier comments. thanks
    I think a better phone you could compare the T600 to is the Samsung SGH-i500. Just wish that phone was out tho.
    Here are pictures of the i500 and the Treo 600 next to each other.
    http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/c...d_Treo_600.JPG
    As the WSJ's Walter Mossberg noted, the i500, which he does like, is not for "heavy email users" due to the lack of the keyboard.
    For me, that's a deal killer. Entering text using the on screen keyboard and stylus drives me crazy. Its better than T9 text input but much less convenient than the Treo's keyboard.
    I'm sure it's been duly noted here but you ARE referring to the SAMSUNG SPHi500 in this thread right? Or am I missing something?

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    gfunk, my desire is the treo 600, but i need the voice recorder and a daylight viewing screen. if i'm to understand it correctly there will be an app for voice recording? please expand on your earlier comments. thanks
    I'm just relaying what was reported earlier in the Trecentral article published some tiem ago:

Probably the largest change that the user will never notice is the entirely revamped audio system that the Treo 600 now has. For the first time ever, Handspring has integrated the microphone into the Palm unit itself. (Visor models microphone linked directly to the springboard, earlier Treo's linked directly to the radio) Handspring will not bundle recording software with the device, however they will soon make the API's available for developers to write that software. Developers can also access the phone stream to record the conversation, and with the 144 MHz processor perhaps encode it as an MP3 and store it on an SD card.
    I assume we'll start seeing voice recoding apps shortly after the Treo600 is released. But as stated, there will be none bundled with the Treo600 out the box...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Having used the i500 for two weeks now, I'd have to say it would be hard to go to a larger phone, despite the superiority of the feature set of the T600. I was one of the earliest complainers about the long delay in getting the i500 to market, as well as "screaming" about the inferior feature set - Dragonball 66; OS 4; no SDIO; small memory; no MP3; no camera; etc. However, the proof is in the use of the device, and this has been a well integrated experience.

So for me, size (and a flip phone that protects the PDA screen) were paramount. For others, the near notebook replacement of the T600 will be a siren song. Enjoy.
    I think the future of the Palm OS, even if PalmSource doesn't <totally> agree, lies in mobile devices. So - we should all applaud the other various smartphone devices that use the Palm OS - the Samsung, the Kyo - all of em. As they succeed and proliferate, the OS will be made fundamentally stronger.
    So go go go Mr I500 Man - we cheer you on!! We're all brethren here. OK, cousins, perhaps.
    I spent about 10 minutes playing with a Samsung SPH-i500 yesterday. The device is impressive in size and build quality. It is certainly a fine piece of equipment. I think it would do very nicely for some Palm users. However, two things would stop me from getting it:

1. The lack of keyboard input, which means either MUCH slower entry using T9 or having to use 2 hands because you use the stylus. My actual experience confirmed what I always expected. Those of us who have used a Treo with its keyboard are quite spoiled in that regard and will find it extremely hard to let go of the need for a keyboard.

2. I found the angle between the screen and the bottom half of the phone quite annoying. Since you naturally have the keys/graffiti part of the device directly facing you, you always end up looking at the screen with an angle. I found that really strange. You end up always looking at the screen from the top at a roughly 30 degree angle. After a few minutes of use, I found it quite irritating that I couldn't look straight at the screen. I felt that I wanted to flip the cover more open, but, of course, that wasn't possible.

For what it's worth, the salesman only had a demo unit and said that they would not get any until September. He said they never really stocked or sold them, but they got this unit to show to people since they were getting so many questions. This was a major Sprint store in the Boston area (Harvard Square in Cambridge), which makes me wonder about the general availability of this device.

I asked about the Treo 600 and he said that he heard about many new models coming in September but hasn't heard anything specific about a new Treo.

(wish we could fix the title of this thread)
    Last edited by silverado; 08/18/2003 at 09:09 AM.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by silverado

(wish we could fix the title of this thread) [/B]
    Sorry, tried to change the title, but couldn't. If you know of a way, just let me know.

Anyways, thank you all for showing me the light!!
    you are correct mikec on the *talk as a voice dial .5$ a month is worth it to me. this will suffice for voice dialing.

still would like the voice recorder and hope for a usable screen in the sun. then i have the tool i need.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast