1.    #1  
    I know it's all still speculation...but does anyone have any clues as to whether or not they've improved the native SMS app from the 270? In other words, will an incoming SMS still pop up on my screen while I'm in the middle of whatever other app I'm in, and regardless of who's looking at my screen? It remains the one thing that truly frustrates me with my 270 and I'm hoping there's a better solution with the 600.
    Yes, there are rumors from a Sprint employee that they will be adding true SMS to Vision in the next 3 to 4 months. See this thread.
    Gameboy--The poster was asking about the GSM version, not Sprint's version.

Geoffrey
    Yeah, the GSM carriers have working REAL SMS. I'm assuming the SMS app built into the Treo 300 is the same as in the 270, but it just needs Treo300SMS to work because Sprint doesn't have MO-SMS. I haven't heard anything regarding the SMS app itself for the Treo 600, GSM or CDMA. The only news if the possibility of MO-SMS for Sprint, nothing about the SMS app itself.
    Originally posted by Alli
    I know it's all still speculation...but does anyone have any clues as to whether or not they've improved the native SMS app from the 270? In other words, will an incoming SMS still pop up on my screen while I'm in the middle of whatever other app I'm in, and regardless of who's looking at my screen? It remains the one thing that truly frustrates me with my 270 and I'm hoping there's a better solution with the 600.
    Hello Alli,

I think some others missed your question altogether, but I'm also a bit confused by it.

You ask if on the Treo 600 an SMS message will still pop up regardless of what you are doing or who is looking at your screen. You say that on your Treo 270, this frustrates you. How so? A true SMS implementation is supposed to be instant and pop up. That's how it happens on any GSM phone.

What would you LIKE for the SMS application to do? What kind of improvement are you asking for?

Treo 300 users that rely on Sprint's network have been wishing for the functionality that you appear to be complaining about. Did we misinterpret your post?

By the way, the SMS application on the Treo 600 has indeed been given new functionality. It now includes a "chat mode" view that groups two-way messages into a display that's very similar to an instant messaging (IM) format. So, when exchanging messages with someone, you no longer have open each message to see the flow of the conversation. Very cool.

Oh, and whether or not the CDMA version (under Sprint) will be able to do everything the GSM version can do natively remains to be seen. As others have stated, the Treo 300 requires a third-party application to simulate true SMS capability because the Sprint network does not currently natively support SMS (which is a GSM technology). It's in the implementation on the network that the problem exists. This issue may carry over to the Treo 600 when running on Sprint. Time will tell.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 08/12/2003 at 11:13 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

Hello Alli,

I think some others missed your question altogether, but I'm also a bit confused by it.

You ask if on the Treo 600 an SMS message will still pop up regardless of what you are doing or who is looking at your screen. You say that on your Treo 270, this frustrates you. How so? A true SMS implementation is supposed to be instant and pop up. That's how it happens on any GSM phone.

What would you LIKE for the SMS application to do? What kind of improvement are you asking for?

Treo 300 users that rely on Sprint's network have been wishing for the functionality that you appear to be complaining about. Did we misinterpret your post?

By the way, the SMS application on the Treo 600 has indeed been given new functionality. It now includes a "chat mode" view that groups two-way messages into a display that's very similar to an instant messaging (IM) format. So, when exchanging messages with someone, you no longer have open each message to see the flow of the conversation. Very cool.
    Wow, that chat view feature sounds pretty cool. I missed the info about that.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Wow, that chat view feature sounds pretty cool. I missed the info about that.
    You missed that? Where have you been?

See here on TreoCentral.

"On the GSM version, Handspring has added a new feature to SMS called SMS chat view. When having a multi-sms conversation with somebody the rapid succession of messages can clutter up the inbox. Using chat view it combines all these recent messages from one person and turns it into a clean window that looks a lot like IM. No word on Sprint 2-way text messaging."
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

You missed that? Where have you been?

See here on TreoCentral.

I dunno, maybe under a rock somewhere? I thought I had kept up with the latest on the 600. I know I read that article but somehow I missed the part about SMS. I have no excuses, I'll just go crawl back under my rock.
    I think what Alli might mean is for the SMS app to still give you an immediate notification, even a popup, but to not include the message text. Then, a persistant indicator could stay on every screen telling you you have unread SMSs, until you read them.

Some phones certainly do that. SMS doesn't always mean having the message itself forced in front of you. I can see the privacy concerns there.

I can see that implementing any persistent indicator would be a problem in the Treo. I really like Samsung's addition of a few pixel beyond the standard 160x160 for persistent status information.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by silverado
    I think what Alli might mean is for the SMS app to still give you an immediate notification, even a popup, but to not include the message text. Then, a persistant indicator could stay on every screen telling you you have unread SMSs, until you read them.

Some phones certainly do that. SMS doesn't always mean having the message itself forced in front of you. I can see the privacy concerns there.

I can see that implementing any persistent indicator would be a problem in the Treo. I really like Samsung's addition of a few pixel beyond the standard 160x160 for persistent status information.
    Thank god...for a minute there I was beginning to think that my question was totally incomprehensible. I guess nobody recalls a thread from a year ago asking for a 3rd party SMS app to take over due to the privacy concerns. It's just my luck when I'm showing my mother the newest pictures of whatever that my husband texts with something suggestive....or I'm showing my husband something cool that my Treo can do than his Clié can't (ok, so maybe not that) when my boyfriend texts me with something suggestive.... You get the picture. On the cell phones I've used, you get notification that a txt msg is waiting to be read. You aren't forced to view it immediately.