Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Ok so the Treo 600 is going to be a good 499.99 now the fun part... Which carrier??!?!?!??!? Obviously you will need a new contract or you could end up paying probably 699.99 for the 600. Also not everyone out there has perfect credit, which means a deposit for lots of us.

CDMA will have to go sprint but what about the GSM?

T-Mobile is the first choice but how is Cingular?? That roll over minute plan looks very attractive. I think this is the issue a lot of us is over looking.

I had the 270 with t-mobile and had to pay the non activation price because i was already a tmobile customer.

I think i will probably do sprint because with the GSM version, it seems like the phone will be an arm and a leg and you wont be able to get any support for it. tmobile took forever before they even acknowledge the existance of the 270. i could always remember the blank stare i got from tmobile employees when i showed them my phone.
    I currently have the Treo 300 with Sprint, but I am now seriously considering the GSM version of the 600 with T-Mobile or AT&T this Fall. I travel to Indonesia (where I am now) and the Philippines every couple of months, and with the quad-band radio a GSM Treo 600 could work for me everywhere I travel. Currently I just leave my Treo behind when I travel because as a PDA alone I don't keep it with me all the time, and I worry about getting it stolen. As a functioning phone I would keep it in my pocket always, and so wouldn't worry as much about it. The roaming cost for calls in Indonesia are $3.50-5.00/minute on T-Mobile and AT&T, so I would probably get a second sim card from a local Asian provider to keep airtime charges down. I haven't looked into the cost, but it can't be much since every school kid and department store clerk here carries a "handphone" with them. The one thing I am concerned about is the GSM/GPRS coverage in Sonoma County where I live north of San Francisco. I know Sprint and Verizon have good CDMA coverage there, but I'm not so sure about the GSM carriers' coverage.

By the way, I was at the Hilton Hotel in Jakarta a couple of kilometers away from the Marriott bombing last Tuesday, and the blast was still impressively loud this far away.
    Last edited by scrinch; 08/12/2003 at 03:02 AM.
    RStall,

No U.S. GSM carriers have announce that they will be carrying the 600g. Orange, is the only GSM carrier commited so far, but they are mosly in Europe.

You can always buy an unlocked 600g and use it on any GSM carriers network.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    No U.S. GSM carriers have announce that they will be carrying the 600g. Orange, is the only GSM carrier commited so far, but they are mosly in Europe.

You can always buy an unlocked 600g and use it on any GSM carriers network.

I think i will be going with cingular. They are backed by SBC. Im wondering about there GPRS coverage.
    Originally posted by scrinch
    -snip-The one thing I am concerned about is the GSM/GPRS coverage in Sonoma County where I live north of San Francisco. I know Sprint and Verizon have good CDMA coverage there, but I'm not so sure about the GSM carriers' coverage.-snip-
    When I was trying to decide whether or not to go with Cingular here in Santa Cruz I went to the local store and asked to borrow a demo phone. They let me use it for a few days to see if I got service where I live, where I work, down at the beach, you know, all the important places. It was an old Nokia, so the signal strength might be a little different and I couldn't test GPRS, but it gave me a good idea and it convinced me to go with Cingular. I have much better coverage at home than I did with Verizon. Unfortunately, GPRS isn't even available here, so that's not an issue.

Good luck.

Dan.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Im in Houston, TX and the GPRS is available here with cingular. My whole thing though is one when will the GSM model be available and two will Handspring give you the activation price for the phone. For the longest with tmobile, i simply used the dial up networking feature and used my regular cell minutes to browse the web.
    Here's something I posted in another thread that I thought might be of some use here...

I checked out Consumer Reports ratings (www.consumerreports.org) on cellular phone service providers and found some very useful information. It even breaks the information down by city. Here's a summary of the ratings. Just as I suspected... Sprint was consistently the lowest!

Company
    Satisfaction Level (range of user scores): (High - Low) Comments

Verizon Wireless
    72 69 Consistently at the top of the Ratings. One of the better companies for customer support. No noteworthy service problems.

AT&T Wireless
    69 63 One of the better companies for customer support. Overloaded circuits in three cities; Otherwise, middle-of-the-road performance.

Nextel
    67 62 Availability of service an issue in New York and Los Angeles. Most billing problems. Low score for customer support.

T-Mobile
    67 62 Connection problems in Chicago and New York. One of the better companies for customer support. Company formerly known as VoiceStream.

Cingular
    67 54 The greatest variation in scores. Problems with overloaded circuits. Low score for customer support.

Sprint PCS
    65 58 Worst customer support. Dropped calls an issue in five of six areas.

RayUSA
    RayUSA, cell phone coverage can be such a personal thing....depending on exactly where you go and how much you use your phone. Coverage that works for one person may not work where another travels. I have been happy with Sprint for 5 years now, despite their apparently receiving the lowest rating by consumer Reports. I like Vagabond's suggestion to try to get a loaner phone to try out in the places where I live, work, and play. Good idea. I don't know anyone here that uses GSM/GPRS, or I would ask to borrow their phone for a couple of days. By the way, Vagabond, I used to live in Santa Cruz...got my BS and MS there in the late 70's and early 80's. My daughter just spent a month there in a high school math/science program.
    RayUSA, cell phone coverage can be such a personal thing....depending on exactly where you go and how much you use your phone. Coverage that works for one person may not work where another travels. I have been happy with Sprint for 5 years now, despite their apparently receiving the lowest rating by consumer Reports.
    scrinch, I agree... I never said that choosing a cell phone service wasn't a personal thing. In fact, that's one reason I found the Consumer Reports study so interesting, because it wasn't conducted in some laboratory. Instead, it was compiled from the responses of thousands of real users in major cities in the U.S. (New York, Washington D.C., Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago). If you read the article, they even note that these results are merely based on consumer feedback, and that your own personal preferences and experiences may differ.

True, what is bad for one person doesn't mean it won't work fine for another. That is why I take everything I read with a grain of salt. I just found it interesting that Sprint was consistently the lowest in almost every category in every city tested. I have had Sprint for 2 years and I couldn't agree more! (Signal dropout being among the worst) That's why I'm going to switch when the Treo 600 comes out. I just hope my new number is as easy to remember as my old one... 415-NO-SIGNL

$0.02
    originally posted by RayUSA
    I just hope my new number is as easy to remember as my old one... 415-NO-SIGNL
    LOL
    Wait till Turkey day and tale your number with you! Then again, your hoping the for a new number like 415-FUL-SGNL
    Excellent point about borrowing a phone from the local shop to test coverage.

I'm currently on Cingular with my Treo 180 and WILL switch once number portability comes into effect. I simply can't get coverage in my home nor in my son's house. Yet people with several other providers have no problems.

I was concerned, however, about how to ensure coverage from whatever provider I will pick.

Consumer Reports says Verizon has the best customer service, but I'm leaning towards T-Mobile because of their international calling plans.

Borrowing is a terrific idea! Thanks.
    Everyone,

Thanks for the thanks for my nifty little idea. I'm a genious. Maybe I can license that.

scrinch, I work at UCSC, which is probably where the camp was. Beautiful area, but you already know that.

L8R,
    Dan.
    Vagabond, she had a room in College 8 overlooking Monterey Bay...beautiful! You don't work in Earth Sciences, by chance? -scrinch
    From what I see, Sprint still has the cheapest unlimited data service available. I think it's $15 now, but many, including myself still have it at $10. My $30 +$10 plan with Sprint still seems to be the best deal for me.

Also, wouldn't there be an advantage to having a phone that is branded and supported by Sprint? The other companies wouldn't care about any tech support issues regarding their service with a 600 if they don't officially support it like Sprint does. I don't think T-Mobil would be very helpful when you call up having e-mail issues with a phone they don't support...

And, what about problems with the phone itself? I've read numerous posts from people who have been given replacement Treo's from Sprint. What are you gonna do if you buy an unlocked phone for another carrier and it needs service? Send it back to Handspring and wait forever for a repair?

Perhaps there will also be Treo specific features offered by Sprint? Features that use GPS maybe? MP3 downloads? Not really sure if this is an issue or not, but at least with Sprint it's a possibility.

I don't know if any of this has any merit, but I'm just more comfortable having a phone that is carried and supported by my service provider.

Oh well, just my two cents.
    Vagabond, she had a room in College 8 overlooking Monterey Bay...beautiful! You don't work in Earth Sciences, by chance? -scrinch
    I work for the School of Engineering, but our tangent is way off topic. If you want to talk more PM me.

In regards to the last post, carriers can still give replacements, etc for phones even if they're not branded for them. I prefer teh flexibility of being able to use different phones with GSM. Just wish the coverage was better in rural areas so I could *always* have a signal . . . just in case.

L8R,
    Dan.
    Branding isn't necessarily important to what I was trying to say. Whether it says Sprint or whatever on it is meaningless. As mentioned in this thread, some have suggested buying an unlocked 600 to use on GSM carriers that may not be supporting it. That may work fine, but expect minimal, if any, tech support and forget about getting it exchanged via the carrier....at least for the same model anyway.