1.    #1  
    Handspring's website says you can buy a Treo 300 for $399 and get $300 in rebates. The catch? You must sign a two year contract with Sprint.

Question: Could you then upgrade to the 600 in a few months, get an incentive for upgrading, and have that count towards your two year commitment?

For instance, if you got a $100 upgrade incentive, you would be getting the treo for "free", and getting to use it from now until late October when the 600 comes out.

Hmmm

Cluemeister
    Well I've been delaying and delaying.
    I'm going to do it now.
    I figure, it's Sprint's attempt to clear their inventory.
    And if the rumored 'upgrade' to 600 comes around (say a $100 upgrade rebate), then basically I will be borrowing this 300 until the 600 comes out. Gives me time to get use to the product, how it works, etc.

I'm not a fan of the 2 year contract to get the $300 service credit but I've been with the company now for almost 2 years so what's another 2 years??
    In thinking about this last night, the thought came to me -- even if you cancelled your contract and had to pay the $150.00 cancellation fee, you are still "saving" $150 bucks on the phone!!

So who really gives a rip!! And I actually "upgraded my account from a 2 year plan with 1000 minutes to a one-year plan with 2000 minutes and it workd great - and reduced my contract time.

Now I just hope I can buy it, "upgrade" my current plan to a new plan

Brian
    I know that with t-mobile the sidekick rebate was conditional on having a particular plan for a year. After a couple of months I had to switch to a cheaper plan, and they reneged on my rebate because of that. It takes like 6 months to get a rebate out of t-mobile.

So the irony is that I have no coverage, moved to a cheap voice plan to avoid the $200 cancellation fee, but then got hit with having to pay full price for the device. At the time the rebate was only $50. I'd be worried about a $300 rebate, but then again maybe Sprint doesn't screw you like t-mobile.
    Potatoho,
    How did T-Mobile screw you if you are the one who broke the contract?
    I called Sprint CS tonight (the number on the handspring site) and they told me that the 99 deal is only for new activations with NEW numbers. Guess that counts me out -- I'll just wait for the 600.
    Sprint rebates have been notoriiously bad. That's why I think they did something where they can easily control it. By offering a service credit, they just put in their computer , 'Mr. Jones has a $300 credit'. Then your service for the next 3-5 months is taken care of already.

I'm going to wait another week or so to see if any complaints pop up. But it's a gamble that might be worth it.

Originally posted by potatoho
    So the irony is that I have no coverage, moved to a cheap voice plan to avoid the $200 cancellation fee, but then got hit with having to pay full price for the device. At the time the rebate was only $50. I'd be worried about a $300 rebate, but then again maybe Sprint doesn't screw you like t-mobile.
    Originally posted by OldTymeVisorMan
    Sprint rebates have been notoriiously bad. That's why I think they did something where they can easily control it. By offering a service credit, they just put in their computer , 'Mr. Jones has a $300 credit'. Then your service for the next 3-5 months is taken care of already.

I'm going to wait another week or so to see if any complaints pop up. But it's a gamble that might be worth it.

Yeah, Sprint rebates are horrible. When I got my Treo it had a $200 mail in rebate. I mailed everything out like a good little boy and played the waiting game. About 4 or 5 weeks later I checked the status and the website claimed my rebate was invalid because my phone wasn't one of the models included on the rebate. Hmm, considering on the hard copy of the rebate, there was a little check box next to Treo 300 that said $200, I think it's included! A phone call got that straightened out easily enough. So I checked back again a few days ago and guess what... Rebate invalid because my phone's not included on the rebate. I called back again and the guy I talked to forced the rebate through the rest of the vaildation process and now when I check the status it says it's valid and my check will be mailed within 30 days. What do you think the odds are that I get my check within 30 days? I'll find out in about 3 weeks...
  9.    #9  
    We sent in the rebate information ($50 rebate at the time), and checked in about 8 weeks later. They said we did not qualify, and that our rebate was rejected because we had not sent in the original receipt.

We had sent the original receipt, so there was no way to re-send the original receipt to them now.

Never got the $50.

Cluemeister
    Originally posted by Cluemeister
    We sent in the rebate information ($50 rebate at the time), and checked in about 8 weeks later. They said we did not qualify, and that our rebate was rejected because we had not sent in the original receipt.

We had sent the original receipt, so there was no way to re-send the original receipt to them now.

Never got the $50.

Cluemeister
    That really sucks. Even if you make a copy of your receipt just in case, it's not like they would accept that. I feel for ya, I've gotten yanked around on quite a few rebates.
    Oh now the Treo 300 is only worth $99 now!!! It sold for $500 less than a year ago. I got it for $325 after the $200 rebate and tax. WTF! Now my phone is only worth $100? So I lose $225 in a year's worth of time..burned...for what? A piece of crap Jeff Hawkins phone. Yes you heard me, he makes crappy phones. Horrible voice reception, tons of fatal errors and busy network signals. NO JAVASCRIPT!!! cant dial phone numbers while on a phone call. INTERRUPTION OF WEB WHEN A PHONE CALL COMES IN OR IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY PRESS A HOT KEY AT BOTTOM. In the middle of a long email, IT ALL GETS ERASED CAUSE I PRESS THE "PHONE" HOTKEY. On top of all that...a phone which depreciates faster than you can say abacadabra. What a piece of ****. Expect teh Treo 600 to depreciate just as fast..and if you thought the lid-breaking deal with the 300 was bad, the Treo 600 is gonna have its batch of quality problems-hmm lets see, lens getting scratched, crappy earpieces and speakers again, tons of processor errors and timeouts, busy signals, etc. They better have real frame support this time...that crappy *** blazer browser...and how bout being able to scroll down faster than 1 line at a time? how bout a windows based browser??? POS handspring phones. Let Nokia make the phones. Jeff, you stick to hardware, you aint no designer, you just a geek.
    Originally posted by josephtse
    Oh now the Treo 300 is only worth $99 now!!! It sold for $500 less than a year ago. I got it for $325 after the $200 rebate and tax. WTF! Now my phone is only worth $100? So I lose $225 in a year's worth of time..burned...for what? A piece of crap Jeff Hawkins phone. Yes you heard me, he makes crappy phones. Horrible voice reception, tons of fatal errors and busy network signals. NO JAVASCRIPT!!! cant dial phone numbers while on a phone call. INTERRUPTION OF WEB WHEN A PHONE CALL COMES IN OR IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY PRESS A HOT KEY AT BOTTOM. In the middle of a long email, IT ALL GETS ERASED CAUSE I PRESS THE "PHONE" HOTKEY. On top of all that...a phone which depreciates faster than you can say abacadabra. What a piece of ****. Expect teh Treo 600 to depreciate just as fast..and if you thought the lid-breaking deal with the 300 was bad, the Treo 600 is gonna have its batch of quality problems-hmm lets see, lens getting scratched, crappy earpieces and speakers again, tons of processor errors and timeouts, busy signals, etc. They better have real frame support this time...that crappy *** blazer browser...and how bout being able to scroll down faster than 1 line at a time? how bout a windows based browser??? POS handspring phones. Let Nokia make the phones. Jeff, you stick to hardware, you aint no designer, you just a geek.
    Damn, I'm sensing a little hostility here. Everything depreciates like this. This isn't unusual. I got mine for $150 after rebates 2 months ago. It's a part of technology for that to happen. Think about how much you spent on your computer and how much it's worth now.
    Look on the flip side, though. You can buy a year old phone for very little money. Remember, no one forces you to buy a new phone.

This's the price we pay for being geeks.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Look on the flip side, though. You can buy a year old phone for very little money. Remember, no one forces you to buy a new phone.

This's the price we pay for being geeks.
    HAHA, good point. You can buy a Sanyo 6400 from Sprint for $50. It's not color, but it an VERY good Vision phone. It cost $130 last month and more than that not too long ago. Now you can get a great basic phone for practically nothing. If you want the newest technology, you have to pay for it. Of course it won't be worth as much when it's not new technology anymore.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I had a nightmare trying to get my rebate from Sprint, too (actually it was a service credit). I don't feel like rehashing it, but suffice it to say it took dozens of phone calls, long wait times, arguing, and getting hung up on.
    Originally posted by speclcajun
    Potatoho,
    How did T-Mobile screw you if you are the one who broke the contract?
    Re: the $50 rebate. I bought it in October, found out later that they were full of crap about the towers going up nearby, so in January I asked to be switched to a voice-only plan for the time being (or remainder of my contract) because the thing has no service here (if I stand on roof it gets signal etc). Then a few months later I get a notice that my $50 rebate was not eligible because it was conditional on me having a more expensive plan for the duration of my contract. No, I cannot blame them for trying and succeeding, in SCREWING ME for the $50 rebate. That's just the tip of what I really feel about T-Mobile considering that I've paid them over $600 so far for absolutely nothing in return. I charge the phone once a month to see if signal has improved, nope.

Anyways the $50 thing related to someone mentioning that they could buy the phone then cancel and still get the rebate. In Sprint's case, maybe. With T-Mobile, it doesn't matter what you do, they will find some way to screw you and get the money back.
    Looking at the rebate page on the Handspring site, I could not figure out if the purchase at Handsping.com was an actual requirement.

From the Handspring site:

When your Treo 300 arrives, call Sprint at 1.877.789.3969 to activate your new service plan. You will need to mention the following promotional information in order to receive your full $300 service credit:

Individual customers (you pay your own Sprint mobile service bill):
    $100 PCS rebate
    $200 BSP Blitz rebate

Corporate customers (your company pays Sprint directly for your mobile service bill):
    $100 PCS rebate
    $100 BSP Blitz rebate
    $100 contract credit for 2-year agreement

Iif this is an activation over the phone, telling them you want these rebates, What would stop a person from getting the phone from amazon and submitting the amazon rebate as well?

Any ideas?
    Thanks,

Mark
    Surely they will ask you for your serial number. Additionally, you need to select a service plan when you order, even if you don't activate it. Those are two ways that come to me straight off.