1.    #1  
    So, ther you are listening the the latest Avril Lavigne cd via the 600 when the phone rings. Does the Treo:

Lowers the volume (or stops the mpg) and play the ring tone in a normal volume?

Doesn't lower the volume (or stops the mpg) and plays the ring tone at the volume you were listening the mpg with?

Keeps playing the MPG and just vibrates the phone?

Give you no indication that a phone call is coming in?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    A quote from the user guide(s) was posted on TreoCentral about this. I think it said that the music volume is lowered and you hear the ring in the normal ring volume. Music doesn't stop. So it will be heard at a lower volume, mixed with the ring and the phone sound. Kind of cool, but I guess it could be more fancy and pause the music. But that would have to be done by the developer of the mp3 player.
    Originally posted by silverado
    A quote from the user guide(s) was posted on TreoCentral about this. I think it said that the music volume is lowered and you hear the ring in the normal ring volume. Music doesn't stop. So it will be heard at a lower volume, mixed with the ring and the phone sound. Kind of cool, but I guess it could be more fancy and pause the music. But that would have to be done by the developer of the mp3 player.
    hmm... interesting...

My guess what have been that the music stops. I'm basing this on what I observe on my Treo 180 and the fact that the OS doesn't multitask. What happens when a phone call comes in is that it acts as if the user have suddenly switched programs (to the phone application or the incoming call handling application). Given the fact that the OS5 is not multitasking, the mp3 stops playing when the mp3 program is no longer running. and thus, you get the vibration, the ring, but no music.
    MP3 programs in OS5 currently play when you switch programs. I've even seen an audio program that keeps playing when you switch programs in OS 3.x.
    When i read the users manual, i interpreted it as being that the music is muted, and the ringer is sounded quietly, however, the music continues to play (as in the tracks may progress, though you cant hear the music).

Im guessing that then when the call is over, the music blares down your ears again (which should promptly bring us all back to earth )

Sounds all right to me, mute or pause, its all the same!?!
    Originally posted by djwhyte
    When i read the users manual, i interpreted it as being that the music is muted, and the ringer is sounded quietly, however, the music continues to play (as in the tracks may progress, though you cant hear the music).

Im guessing that then when the call is over, the music blares down your ears again (which should promptly bring us all back to earth )

Sounds all right to me, mute or pause, its all the same!?!
    I'd prefer pause, but I'd see how that might not be posible if the APIs between the phone aren't made to the player (or at least the player would have to specificallly designed for that Treo API). The Treo can pull the volume reduction or elimination by just cutting off the speaker when it rings without caring about whether music is playing at the time or not.

The reason I prefer pause would be that if I'm on a 30 minute phone call, the music might be cycling back to where I started listening and I'd hear the songs all over again.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland

I'd prefer pause, but I'd see how that might not be posible if the APIs between the phone aren't made to the player (or at least the player would have to specificallly designed for that Treo API). The Treo can pull the volume reduction or elimination by just cutting off the speaker when it rings without caring about whether music is playing at the time or not.

The reason I prefer pause would be that if I'm on a 30 minute phone call, the music might be cycling back to where I started listening and I'd hear the songs all over again.
    Do you guys realize how weird it is to see a guy in the subway talk on the phone while there's music coming out of the phone? That'd be like trying to have a conversation with your discman or something.
    One of the posts above suggested that Palm OS does not multitask. This was true in the past and this was because of the license of the inner core of Palm OS was a single thread license. The ARM based new core of Palm OS 5.x does not have this limitation. Indeed, if you are a TreoMail user, you may have noticed that you can check your mail while doing other things. Handspring had this working on pre-Palm OS 5.x.

There is no reason why Treo 600 could not play MP3s in the background at a high encoding quality and also play a game at the same time. I say this because I have seen/heard it done in front of me. The audio from the game just mixed into the Mp3 audio. The phone was also in wireless mode at the time. Neat trick huh?
    Personally,

I'd would love to have it so that when a call comes in the music lowers but I (and not the caller) can still hear it slightly (like background music) while I take the call. My brain can multitask so why not my phone?
    What program(s) will be best for playing on MP3 (from SD cards)on the 600?