Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    "These new Treo 600 smartphones will be priced at a premium compared to our current Treo line, and are expected to begin shipping late this fall. At that time, we plan to offer a special upgrade program for existing Treo owners. " - Handspring

    Since the current Treo is 500 MSRP, and selling everywhere around for about 300, what do you think the MSRP on the Treo 600 will be and the expected release date? Thanks
  2. #2  
    in the cnet video the hanspring rep said around $500.

    i dont remember if it was the price b4 or after rebate.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3. #3  
    OK, I suppose I cant criticize the fatness of this phone until I see it and hold it in my hand, but 2.26" is still 2.26" inches and anyone can take a ruler, measure their Treo 300, and see how much narrower is 2.26". It's not that much narrower, and in the pictures it looks fatter than 2.26".

    I'll wait till it comes to market and then comment then. By the way, there are already a handful of competitive smartphones that do just as much as the Treo 600, and already on market. Some phones coming out will have the capability of being an MP3 player, FM radio, etc. Not just play MP3s, but be an actual MP3 player. And of course they will have cameras, but even better is if and when America gets "camera phone", which is real-time video conferencing on the phone while you talk, whihc is already the G3 network in Hong Kong. But I don't know the frame rate, prolly really low, like 1-2 frames/sec. But anyway, technology has come a long way and I still like it when my friend gets sneaky pics of random people. Tres cool. Look at the Sony P800, the new Siemens, other phones. They're all pretty competent.
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by josephtse
    OK, I suppose I cant criticize the fatness of this phone until I see it and hold it in my hand, but 2.26" is still 2.26" inches and anyone can take a ruler, measure their Treo 300, and see how much narrower is 2.26". It's not that much narrower, and in the pictures it looks fatter than 2.26".

    I'll wait till it comes to market and then comment then. By the way, there are already a handful of competitive smartphones that do just as much as the Treo 600, and already on market. Some phones coming out will have the capability of being an MP3 player, FM radio, etc. Not just play MP3s, but be an actual MP3 player. And of course they will have cameras, but even better is if and when America gets "camera phone", which is real-time video conferencing on the phone while you talk, whihc is already the G3 network in Hong Kong. But I don't know the frame rate, prolly really low, like 1-2 frames/sec. But anyway, technology has come a long way and I still like it when my friend gets sneaky pics of random people. Tres cool. Look at the Sony P800, the new Siemens, other phones. They're all pretty competent.
    How did we get into size and features? It was a simple question about price.

    In regards to the price, Handspring said it would cost $400-$500 before any carrier subsidies or discounts.
  5. #5  
    They can't compare to any Palm OS units (like Treo) for which there are tens of thousands of apps available. Why does everybody keep comparing apples to oranges?

    Alan



    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by josephtse...

    I'll wait till it comes to market and then comment then. By the way, there are already a handful of competitive smartphones that do just as much as the Treo 600, and already on market....

    Look at the Sony P800, the new Siemens, other phones. They're all pretty competent.
  6. #6  
    who cares what it cost. just bring it on!
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by imageone
    who cares what it cost. just bring it on!
    Amen to that!!
  8. #8  
    There's been a lot of complaining on this board about the low res screen (and many other quibbles). When we begin to get into a discussion about price, I have to ask the question:

    Would you rather have a high res screen plus other goodies, and pay 3/4th the price of a laptop, or would you take the feature set HS has decided to offer for ~$499?
    go.digital
  9. #9  
    I think it is comparable to the Kyo 7135 which came out at 499 w/2year , 549 w/ 1year or 649 with no plan.
    Betcha Sprint comes out at $499 with 1 year activation or renewal.
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by dulan
    There's been a lot of complaining on this board about the low res screen (and many other quibbles). When we begin to get into a discussion about price, I have to ask the question:

    Would you rather have a high res screen plus other goodies, and pay 3/4th the price of a laptop, or would you take the feature set HS has decided to offer for ~$499?
    Good question. Unfortunately, many will want all the features and complain bitterly if it's above $399
  11. #11  
    Come to think about it, I'm not paying over $300 for this phone. Think about it. When the 300 first came out, it retailed at $500. That wasn't even a year ago. And now look, you can get it on Amazon BRAND NEW for $200!!! What the hell kind of phone depreciates over 50% in a year? Right now, we are all forced to sell our P.O.S. Treo 300s for $200 new, and for those of us with used or reconditioned phones, we'll be lucky to get $125.

    Now I got the Treo 300 for $325 or so after rebates and tax way back in last September, but now I have to sell it for $125 this September on Ebay? I burned $200 for using a cell phone for a year. Was it worth it? Hell no! And now I have to shell out another $400 (if we can get that price from TreoCentral) for a phone thats only marginally better? (well, way better, but already becoming outdated--every phone on the market will have a camera, pda abilities, and mp3 player very very soon) Why why why would anyone pay more than 300 for this phone!!! Right now the Nokia 3650 is FREE w/ T-mobile, and that phone has 95% of the capabilities of the Treo 600. We did a typing speed test--my friend and his Nokia 3650 vs my Treo 300, he only was like 1 second slower than me on typing a full sentence, something like "we are going to church tomorrow". How? Because he has predictive text. It is pretty darn intelligent. the querty keyboard is still the fastest, but you will always have a fat as* phone with it. Other phones will get skinnier, look more stylish, and will be more appealing than the Treo 600. I'm glad at least there's Javascript. I can't stand Treo's ****t* as* browser!!! I can't get to half the sites! VW, acura, carreview.com, audioreview.com, to name a few. And then frames, that's another pain. Other little nuances, that fact that you can't type in a phone number while you're on a call, you have to go to the memo pad or something..other things..when I"m typing a yahoo email, then accdentally flip applications, lets say i press the "phone" hot button, it fuc*ing erases my whole email!!!! I have to start all over. Damn it we need a windows type platform!! so you dont lose anything where you left off.

    I'm sorry folks, but this phone is barely worth 300 compared to competitive offerings out there. I know the technology and R&D was expensive, but EVERYONE, PLEASE wait for the price to drop. I hate to see all ya'll burn your money on some device that just gonna be updated in less than a year, sort of like how Canon makes a G3, then G4, then G5 digital cameras, just to screw you over and depreciate the shi* out of everything you own.
  12. #12  
    Hate to tell you, but if you look at the electronics industry as a whole the depreciation is insane. It is extra bad in cell/smart phones, but not far behind everywhere else. Just try and get half your purchase price out of a two year old computer.


    On the feature issue, while I'm not as up on new phones as everyone, I have yet to see a phone that is palm OS (need those add on apps), reasonable cost (after rebates), has all the features the 600 lists, uses a QWERTY keyboard and is remotely reasonable for phone use.

    JMHO

    Gargoyle
  13. njchris's Avatar
    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    #13  
    Originally posted by josephtse
    Come to think about it, I'm not paying over $300 for this phone. Think about it. When the 300 first came out, it retailed at $500. That wasn't even a year ago. And now look, you can get it on Amazon BRAND NEW for $200!!! What the hell kind of phone depreciates over 50% in a year?
    Most do.
    Right now, we are all forced to sell our P.O.S. Treo 300s for $200 new, and for those of us with used or reconditioned phones, we'll be lucky to get $125.
    you aren't forced to sell it. Or did I miss the licensing agreement that I *HAD* to sell it.

    I never buy technology items with the hope of making money off it when (or if) I sell it. If the old items kept their value when new ones came out, then the new ones would be even more expensive.

    Why why why would anyone pay more than 300 for this phone!!! Right now the Nokia 3650 is FREE w/ T-mobile, and that phone has 95% of the capabilities of the Treo 600. We did a typing speed test--my friend and his Nokia 3650 vs my Treo 300, he only was like 1 second slower than me on typing a full sentence, something like "we are going to church tomorrow". How? Because he has predictive text.
    you should time it for yourself on both. But will predective text sometimes get the wrong word? I think the 3650 is ugly.
    It is pretty darn intelligent. the querty keyboard is still the fastest, but you will always have a fat as* phone with it. Other phones will get skinnier, look more stylish, and will be more appealing than the Treo 600.
    I think the 600 is stylish. I don't think being skinnier and smaller is the same as saying stylish. The I500 is pretty bland.
    I'm glad at least there's Javascript. I can't stand Treo's ****t* as* browser!!! I can't get to half the sites! VW, acura, carreview.com, audioreview.com, to name a few. And then frames, that's another pain.
    I do find their browser needs improvement, but I get by ok.

    I'm sorry folks, but this phone is barely worth 300 compared to competitive offerings out there.
    I don't agree.
    I hate to see all ya'll burn your money on some device that just gonna be updated in less than a year, sort of like how Canon makes a G3, then G4, then G5 digital cameras, just to screw you over and depreciate the shi* out of everything you own. [/B]
    There will always be something else coming out, something else that does this or that... But I'm still getting the 600, so you'll have to feel bad about it regardless.
  14. #14  
    All of you that are talking about the price being expensive compared to other phones-look at the pda features. You'd be hard pressed to find a color palm runnig os 5 with a high-res screen a built in camera alone for 300 dollars, so why should you be complaining about 500, which after rebates etc. should turn into about 350-400 dollars, only a little bit more than a comparable palm

    By the way-Does anyone know why handsping is charging people 800$ to preorder it?
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by mwylde
    All of you that are talking about the price being expensive compared to other phones-look at the pda features. You'd be hard pressed to find a color palm runnig os 5 with a high-res screen a built in camera alone for 300 dollars, so why should you be complaining about 500, which after rebates etc. should turn into about 350-400 dollars, only a little bit more than a comparable palm

    By the way-Does anyone know why handsping is charging people 800$ to preorder it?
    Handspring isn't charging $800 to preorder. A 3rd party retailer is offering that deal.
  16. #16  
    If you were mad about depreciation before, how about this:

    Sprint is offering the Treo 300 for $99.00 after service rebate with 2 year contract. (yes it IS all about the CONTRACTS, not about the PHONE costs).
  17. #17  
    It appears that the extra $200 off are coming from Handspring, not Sprint:

    == "...Buy a Treo 300 with a new PCS service activation for
    == $399 from Handspring.com..."
    ==
    == "... $200 BSP Blitz rebate..."

    (from Handspring's pages touting the offer)
  18. #18  
    I still find the Treo 270 to be better than any other smartphone on the market due to:

    thumbboard

    Palm OS

    general usability

    The 270 is not as nice looking or ghee-whiz as P800, new Nokias etc... but it gets the most functionality and usability and flexibility, as I already have a camera/mp3 player which is better than any built in to any current smartphone.

    The browser that comes with the 270 isn't great. but I can always buy a better one if I want- there are several on the market now!

    So I think the Treo 600 should easily be worth 1000 USD to me!

    Only if the other phones were free without contract would I take them, and use them as spares or mp3 players, while holding onto my 2 Treo 270s (till the 600 comes out of course).
  19. #19  
    I agree completely. I'm constantly amazed by those quoting specs and claiming that something isn't worth x dollars, etc...

    I've tried lots of devices. I had a SE P800 for about a month but sold it and bought a Treo 270 instead. It all comes down to usability. I'm always interested in the latest gee-whiz new tech, but when you try them you rapidly find out that the people who design these things must never have actually used them. I'm dying to get the Treo 600, but until them the 270 is most functional device I can find right now.

    Originally posted by Cyril
    ... The 270 is not as nice looking or ghee-whiz as P800, new Nokias etc... but it gets the most functionality and usability and flexibility, as I already have a camera/mp3 player which is better than any built in to any current smartphone. ...
  20. #20  
    The ad I saw gives you the rebate back as a "service rebate". Whether it's actually from Sprint or not seems like it doesn't matter. Actually I would like the service rebate because I can take that money that I do'nt have to use for my sprint bill and spend it now. Rebates are usually a couple month wait.

    One thing I am wondering is if I will have to re-up on my Sprint contract to get the 600????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions