Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Greetings my fellow Treocentral.com forum members!!!!!

As many of you know I was extremely fortunate to be perhaps the first civilian to get a detailed preview of the upcoming Treo 600. I was so excited, I wrote an extremely detailed review because I imagined there were many people in this forum that had many questions I could shed substantial light upon.

I would like everybody to understand up front that I am in no way shape or form affiliated with Handspring. My ideas, opinions and insight are strictly my own and I take complete responsibility for them.

I invested over 30 hours of my time writing my original review on the Treo 600 because I wanted to be thorough and make certain I would share as much valuable information with you as possible because there was so little information coming from Handspring.

You can view my original review named, “Treo 600: Love at first site.” and following thread at:
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/240-1.htm

Since writing my review, many, many of you have thanked me and shared your insight with me so I could pass it along to the powers that be at Handspring. I want you all to know how privileged I feel to have earned your respect and trust.

In the thread that followed my review I told you all that I would approach Handspring and share all of the profound insight that I have gathered from you in this forum.

Jeff Hawkins invited me to meet with him at his Handspring offices to chat about the future of the Treo and Palm. I had almost two weeks to prepare for my meeting with Jeff Hawkins and I wanted to make certain that I left no stone unturned. I invested over 60 hours of my time preparing for my meeting with Jeff because I realized the historical significance of such a meeting.

My meeting with Jeff Hawkins was an extremely eye-opening experience. One thing that Jeff Hawkins and I definitely agree upon is the future significance of handheld computers. Jeff and I both agree that the Treo 600 will have a profound impact on the future of handheld computing.

In the not so distant future I will be writing an extremely detailed review of my findings from my meeting with Jeff. I believe, in doing so, it will shed significant light onto the inner workings of how Jeff Hawkins and Handspring respect the valuable insight of their customers.

It appears in many ways, to date, I am the president of Jeff Hawkins fan club and I want to make certain I am careful when I post a detailed review of my findings.

I can share with you the fact that I uncovered many interesting insights that I am certain you will enjoy hearing about. In many ways my meeting with Jeff Hawkins was kind of like The Wizard of Oz…You could call it: The Wizard of Palm.

I am not holding back, I just want to make certain before I express my feelings that I put a great deal of thought into it. I also want to confer with Jeff before I write my review to make certain I understood everything he said.

I can share with you up front that my meeting with Jeff in no way, shape or form what I expected. In many ways it was positively shocking. Perhaps Marcus at Treocentral.com will want to post my review as a story?

I hope you understand.

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 08/10/2003 at 06:29 PM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    OK here's where PurpleX will insert his stupid 2 cents!

Oh bye the way, Great job! JakeE
  3.    #3  
    imageone

You are very welcome!!! and thank you very much for saving the above space from PurpleX's wrath. PurpleX must be taking a cigarette break?

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

Hey Jake, after an introduction like that, the suspense is killing me!

About how long until us lowly mortals get to see what transpired between you and The Wizard of Palm????
  5.    #5  
    ardint:

I know exactly how you feel.

At this point I would say it is in the hands of the Wizard of Palm.

I have been patiently been waiting to hear back from him.

Either way, I promise you will be fascinated with the insight I have to share with you.

Jake

Ive read that jeff sees a point when people's lives will be centered around their treo's. we haven't heard jake's review yet, but some here have already mentioned a few of the possible future treo uses - using the treo to complete credit card transactions, voice recording with its translation into text, sending and receiving fax info via treo, gps functionality, online bill payment via treo, etc.
    Ever since pdas were made internet-capable, I could see that one day we would find that the smartphone will one day totally replace the desktop computer- in much the same way that cellphones are replacing "the hard wired phone".
    One day we'll watch full length movies on our phones. we'll have a video-phone functionality- where we'll be able to see each other on our phones during conversation.
    we'll have access to all of our medical histories on this device, for example if we go to a doctor's office, no more filling out medical forms and histories - it will all be faxed or beamed to their databases from ours on our phones. Lastly, net speed on these phones may one day be even faster than on desktops.
    I know these possibilities may sound wild, but with jeff hawkins and his team's innovating ideas and enthusiasm, they could all be in the "palms of our hands" one day. (sorry about the pun).
  7. purpleX
    and thank you very much for saving the above space from PurpleX's wrath. PurpleX must be taking a cigarette break?

Jake

patient! A historical pot shot is in the making. I mean you don't expect me to only spend 60 seconds before throwing opening jab do you?
    Thanks Jake for passing along all of our thoughts.

In March of 2002 I placed an order for what I considered to be the newest innovation in Snowmobiling, the RX1 from Yamaha. This product sparked a forum very similar to this one, 7 months before the products were delivered.

Watching the communication on that site (rx1.info) evolve and interact with the brave souls eager enough to purchase this piece of history (the worlds first performance 4 stroke sled) has been exciting, and we have often believed that our feedback helped Yamaha develop the new RX1 Warrior, which is just beginning to be delivered to preseason buyers that ordered back in March of this year.

I love the fact that a company like Handspring and Yamaha listen and interact with thier potential customers, it is a breath of fresh air and I wish more companies would indulge.

I have been a gadget guy all my life, and have on at least a dozen occasions contacted manufacturers to offer my thoughts and comments regarding improvements, only to have been squelched by them.

I could never understand why the folks they employed to design thier prducts wouldnt want feedback.

Your interaction with Mr Hawkins makes me excited, excited that they listen, and that they want the info we have to offer.

I will dream of a $400 unit with included cradle and car kit, a 320x320 screen, Palm 6.0 software and the myriads of goodies everyone here has hungered for since the word was passed on by you, and I for one have slathered over, several times a day since.

I am a Treo 600 junkie and cant wait for my new toy.

Thanks Jake,

Jeff
    Jeff
  9. purpleX
    psst,

Jake, I hope you did ask about why our mister wizzard is dumping his HAND share like there is no tomorrow, and ask why his company is down in the dumpster if his product is a devine inspiration breakthrough. You know, even Moses in the end needs to show proof and not just talk about how he actually met the big Guy and brian storm a coupla ideas with Him on a handheld.

http://biz.yahoo.com/t/h/hand.html
    If I'm not mistaken , I think the stock sale is part of the merger with Palm. I would assume that Palm is buying out all of the shares of handspring as part of the deal.
    Common practice in this type of situation.

N2

Originally posted by purpleX
    psst,

Jake, I hope you did ask about why our mister wizzard is dumping his HAND share like there is no tomorrow, and ask why his company is down in the dumpster if his product is a devine inspiration breakthrough. You know, even Moses in the end needs to show proof and not just talk about how he actually met the big Guy and brian storm a coupla ideas with Him on a handheld.

http://biz.yahoo.com/t/h/hand.html
  11.    #11  
    PurpleX,

Did you ever see the Wizard of Oz?????

In my "Wizard of Palm" saga I have decieded to make you the Scarecrow.

Let’s see…how does it go?...Oh yeah, "If I only had a Brain."

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 08/09/2003 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks JakeE for all the effort! I look forwad to hearing what you have found out.

PurpleX:

If you know anything about stocks, you know that selling company stock doesn't have to be negative or seen as "dumping". People start up companies to make money. They don't make money until they sell stock. There are hundreds of good reasons why someone would sell stock while they still believe in the future of a company. If you can't think of any, let me know and I'll give you some clues. Also, since your so deligent, please find out how many shares Jeff holds compared to what he has sold.
    please find out how many shares Jeff holds compared to what he has sold.
    Actually, just a rough estimate, but it looks like he's only sold about 400,000 shares, when he owns 36 million. So, who really cares. PurpleX, is that the best you can do?

http://biz.yahoo.com/t/45/503.html
  14. purpleX
    Originally posted by wcarlson40

Actually, just a rough estimate, but it looks like he's only sold about 400,000 shares, when he owns 36 million. So, who really cares. PurpleX, is that the best you can do?

http://biz.yahoo.com/t/45/503.html
    yahoo little note says in the last 6 months, the insider drop 1.6M shares or 1.8% of the insider share or little less than 1% of total, into the market.

It's not an enormous amount, but definitely noticeable. The number is even more pronounce when comparing to PALM activity. I certainly want to know what's up with these numbers and what to make of it.
  15. purpleX
    Originally posted by silverado

If you know anything about stocks, you know that selling company stock doesn't have to be negative or seen as "dumping". People start up companies to make money. They don't make money until they sell stock. There are hundreds of good reasons why someone would sell stock while they still believe in the future of a company. If you can't think of any, let me know and I'll give you some clues. Also, since your so deligent, please find out how many shares Jeff holds compared to what he has sold.
    So what are you trying to say? The wizzard needs to sell stock just to makes ends meet? Is he cashing in? (they don't make money until they sell stock)

I can't think of any.... so fill me in.
    Jakee please see if you can get back in touch with mr. hawkins and tell him there's one heavy user out in the field daily who wishs he could see his screen in the day light and record voice messages on the go. the treo 300 is not an adequate sales tool. i hope the 600 addresses these two very required features or it will have failed as a tool for a business man on the go! i asume a field that they desire to attract or keep.
    I too am looking forward to Jake's article.

I have been a gadget guy all my life too! I started with the Palm Professional back in 1997.

I moved to the Palm III, Handspring Visor, and then too the Treo 300.

I imagine shortly after it comes out I'll move to the Treo 600.

I think Jeff Hawkins is a genius. I read an excellent book about Jeff Hawkins and the birth of the Palm.

It is called, "Piloting Palm" it takes you from the beginings of Palm to the sale to 3 Com to the founding of Handspring.

Purplex- I'm a licensed financial advisor (stockbroker) I have taken the Series 7, Series 63 and Series 65 exams.

I can tell you from knowledge Jeff Hawkins unloading 1% of his shares of HAND is nothing. In many cases executives designate future sales of shares 6 months or a year ahead of time. They can only sell during specific periods of time.

The amount of shares he sold only 1% of his holdings is uneventful. In fact the sale may have been to cover taxes on the options he receives or maybe he wanted a new car or something.

Seriously I wouldn't be alarmed at all. Now if he regularly started dumping large percentages of his holdings then that would raise a red flag.

Personally I think it is smart for Palm and Handspring to merge. The synergies are all over the place. It doesn't make sense to compete against each other when they are truly competing against Microsoft and the Pocket PC format.

The Palm OS is so much better than the Pocket PC. Who wants to run windows on their palm?

Eagerly awaiting the article on Jeff's insights.

JakeE if you don't hear from him in a timely manner I'd send some email saying the editor of TreoCentral wants the article and has given you a deadline. Might help on response time.

Originally posted by purpleX

So what are you trying to say? The wizzard needs to sell stock just to makes ends meet? Is he cashing in? (they don't make money until they sell stock)

I can't think of any.... so fill me in.
    Yes, I think you're starting to get it. Not to make ends meet, but to make money. You know, everyone wants money. You can think of a few reasons why people want money, can't you? So, yes, it's a form of cashing in on your efforts. Do you know what founders pay for stock? It's anywhere from a few pennies to a tiny fraction of a penny per share. So even at these low share prices, these sales are giving him handsome profit. Most executives of public companies sell small amounts of stock regularly.

Also, refer to what WHEATHIN has said. Selling 1% of holdings over a period of time is a non-event.
    [One thing I =do= pay attention to - intimately - is the financial side of HAND (and now PALM)]

Hawkins filed a disclosure back in February saying he and his Brain Institute would each be selling 2 million shares of HAND stock over a year's period at about 38,000 shares each per week - said sales were theoretically going to be done by an independent broker (that is, without feedback by Hawkins on WHEN during the week to sell).

Is this sinister?

I don't think so (though I think HAND, PALM, and now PALMHAND are doomed as independent companies) since Hawkins is a part-timer (and will remain so with PALMHAND) - it makes sense that someone not in total control of his destiny might want to take some off the table (let's see what Dubinsky does shortly AFTER the merger - she's only on the board of directors at that point and her billion dollar wealth is largely paper, not real).

Note, however, that Hawkins GAVE his Brain Institute the 2 million shares that the Brain Institute is now selling, thus actually disposed (is disposing) of =4= million of his shares.

This...ahem...diversification of his portfolio has nothing to do with the merger since the decision to merge was made well after the filing of the SEC docs for these sales - note, however, that the decision to diversify could be STRONGLY based on the same reasons FOR the merger since the history of at least the initial merger thought (see the S-4, page 50+-ish I think) predates February 2003. Now THAT could be taken as being sinister.
    Thanks for the additional information, Seldom.

All of this talk about stock sales is almost useless without seeing the full picture, by looking at the history of sales of the company and people in question AND common practices in all public companies. Without having that information, the uninformed of such matters cannot judge what this means.

I have rather limited knowledge of such things, but what I see doesn't cause me any alarm. This is certainly NOT "dumping" stock. What feels sinister is for someone like PurpleX to throw that piece if info in there without any context, apparantly expecting to cause a negative impression among the uninformed.

Heck, although not by far the only possible reason, in the worst case, it could mean Jeff lost just 2% of his confidence that Handspring will survive. Wow! That is actually amazing and quite admirable! I guess that's what distinguishes visionaries who believe in what they do from the others Even the most ardent of Handsping lovers here have lost a lot more than 2% of their confidence in the company's ultimate survival given the harsh conditions out there.
    Last edited by silverado; 08/10/2003 at 07:42 AM.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast