Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You can check from my earlier posts, that I didn't mind the screen resolution being 160x160. In the world of PDA/Phone it doesn't seem to matter much. With a web browser and applications like spreadsheets and picture viewers, it's a bit more important, but I still didn't find it critical. I've finally found the application that makes it of critical importance:

NESem - Nintendo Emulator software.
    http://www.kalemsoft.com/products.html

I think it's set to work with 160x160, but imagine the difference in 320x320. With a directional pad built into the Treo 600, it could easily serve as a control pad. Anyway, as much as I love Bejewed, I'd really like to play Ninja Gaiden on the subway.
    Pretty cool! THanks
    Look at the screenshots. Isn't the game itself in a small window in the middle? Does that mean that high resolution may not be supported in the actual game playing environment and it is forced to be scaled down? Perhaps that means native low-res is an advantage?
  4. purpleX
    come on now, as more and more advance apps emerge, specially things that relate to displaying wireless data. (eg. web browsing, online gaming, etc) phone are forced to have bigger screen.

There is a reason why every single advance phone released near treo 600 lunch date all have bigger or higher resolution screen. Old skool 2.5 inch 160 by 160 screen is not adequate anymore. Every company realizes that, even the phone player. How a long time PDA player like Handspring doesn't even give a try to put bigger screen is beyond comprehension. It may look somewhat cute now, but by January-March next year, it will be unusable, as more and more people offers advance apps and more elaborate online services.
  5.    #5  
    Yeah one of the threads asked them to upgrade to 320x320, so it's probably an advantage for this particular version of this app, but they have to be working on a 320x320 version and it's an application where clearly the detail will come into use. Then again, if it was really meant to be a gaming machine, it would be the Quatro or whatever and more like a Gameboy.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by purpleX
    come on now, as more and more advance apps emerge, specially things that relate to displaying wireless data. (eg. web browsing, online gaming, etc) phone are forced to have bigger screen.

There is a reason why every single advance phone released near treo 600 lunch date all have bigger or higher resolution screen. Old skool 2.5 inch 160 by 160 screen is not adequate anymore. Every company realizes that, even the phone player. How a long time PDA player like Handspring doesn't even give a try to put bigger screen is beyond comprehension. It may look somewhat cute now, but by January-March next year, it will be unusable, as more and more people offers advance apps and more elaborate online services.
    How do you know what Handspring has tried? I don't see 160x160 being unusable in 6 months. At least not nearly as unusable as T-9 or graffiti is for entering any amount of text.
    i think the screens biggest problem is the fact that you can't see it in the daylight. granted i would like to see higher resolution as well, but in the daylight it wouldn't matter what res. it is. as a business tool, with sincerity the treo 600 must solve the daylight viewing issue. as well, why no voice recorder? these handset makers need to get out and talk to some of users in the field. a valuable sales tool it has yet to become.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 08/09/2003 at 01:56 PM.
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    i think the screens biggest problem is the fact that you can't see it in the daylight. granted i would like to see higher resolution as well, but in the daylight it wouldn't matter what res. it is. as a business tool, with sincerity the treo 600 must solve the daylight viewing issue. as well, why no voice recorder? these handset makers need to get out and talk to some of users in the field. a valuable sales tool it has yet to become.
    I hear the brightness and sunlit readability is improved. The Treo can be used as a voice recorder, but will not ship with software to do so built in. Unlike the present Treo, the OS can access the microphone.
    I think an even bigger problem with the screen is that its 12bit colors. Thats just 4000+ colors while with a 16bit screen you get 64,000+ colors. And trust me, there is a difference when you compare screens. The Treo 600 might be brighter than my Visor Prism, but the Prism will display its pictures, games ect much more beautifully.

Yoyo
    The Internet is a great way to get on the Net.
    --Bob Dole
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by YoYoman412
    I think an even bigger problem with the screen is that its 12bit colors. Thats just 4000+ colors while with a 16bit screen you get 64,000+ colors. And trust me, there is a difference when you compare screens. The Treo 600 might be brighter than my Visor Prism, but the Prism will display its pictures, games ect much more beautifully.

Yoyo
    I don't think the 8-bit nintendo games could take advantage of a 16bit screen. I'd rather have 4 times the dpi than the extra 60,000 colors. Still more import than both is the using in the day time. I wish there was a technology that would provide it all, using as much battery as necessary, or I could choose to go into lower resolutions, colors, brightness and conserve battery power.
  11. purpleX
    The technology exists and it is on sale.

http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/cda/artic...top/15193.html
    http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/cda/artic...top/14836.html
    http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/cda/artic...top/14517.html

observe how small the phone package, and how relatively bright the photos are (they are screen photos, not screenshots)

The battery consumption, color, screen quality excuse for treo 600 are totally bogus. The phones above are typical of advance phone in Japan now, and in the next few month those type of screen will start showing up in advance phone made by motorola, Samsung and other.

the treo 600 screen excuse is typical of that 'Zen' marketing spin, dating back to the days of "we rather have clear black and white screen than a color screen. The technology is not ready yet". It's the same people making the same excuse. The real reason is Handspring does not have access to those advance screen used in top of the line smartphone.

.. at this rate, Samsung, motorola and CMC will eat them alive next year.

the treo 600 screen excuse is typical of that 'Zen' marketing spin, dating back to the days of "we rather have clear black and white screen than a color screen. The technology is not ready yet".
    And they were right then. The technology wasn't ready then to sell the devices at reasonable prices. That's why they were killing the PPC devices on price, sales and market share at that time.

I am quite certain that high resolution Treo's will come out within a year.

The first Treo 600's models will probably be like the Treo 180 of the 180, 270, 300 series.
    What are we, fools?

Handspring knows we want Bluetooth and a higher res screen. Their excuses for not including them are OBVIOUSLY bogus.

They are not including them because they don't have to. Demand on the unit is sky high as is.

Then, they will do a Rev B with BT and a higher res screen. More $ for them. Ka-ching! Sucks for early adopters here, doesn't it?
  14.    #14  
    The technology exists and it is on sale.

http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/cda/artic...top/15193.html
    http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/cda/artic...top/14836.html
    http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/cda/artic...top/14517.html

observe how small the phone package, and how relatively bright the photos are (they are screen photos, not screenshots)

The battery consumption, color, screen quality excuse for treo 600 are totally bogus. The phones above are typical of advance phone in Japan now, and in the next few month those type of screen will start showing up in advance phone made by motorola, Samsung and other.

the treo 600 screen excuse is typical of that 'Zen' marketing spin, dating back to the days of "we rather have clear black and white screen than a color screen. The technology is not ready yet". It's the same people making the same excuse. The real reason is Handspring does not have access to those advance screen used in top of the line smartphone.

.. at this rate, Samsung, motorola and CMC will eat them alive next year.
    The technology that I speak of would allow the user to change the resolution, and color depth which something that I can't see from these pages. Maybe if I read japanese it says it can do that. However I don't.

The battery is not an excuse. I don't think I recall any handheld manufacturer making a color screen that ran off of two AAA batteries. Why, because the screens take more power. Palm had taken the stance at the time that it was better to be able to get new batteries at a shop on the street than try to figure out how to charge them from the middle of the street. Now that stance can and has been debated, but it is about trade-offs.
  15. purpleX
    has it occured to you that they were scrambling to built those glorious flop called IIIc and Prism while pooh-pooh ing color screen?

They were cought off guard and had to spin it somehow.

..and since when not running on AAA battery stops customer to pick up latest and greatest? Anybody sees any top selling PDA running on AAA anymore? not even Zire does that.

what you called trade off, is what the rest of the world called, lacking know how to be in the cutting edge.
    Originally posted by snahabed
    What are we, fools?

Handspring knows we want Bluetooth and a higher res screen. Their excuses for not including them are OBVIOUSLY bogus.

They are not including them because they don't have to. Demand on the unit is sky high as is.

Then, they will do a Rev B with BT and a higher res screen. More $ for them. Ka-ching! Sucks for early adopters here, doesn't it?
    If they had included that stuff, the cost would have been a lot more, and then you'd get somebody else complaining "I'm not paying $800.00 for that phone!". They are trying to please as many people as possible by creating a highly functional phone/pda at a reasonable cost.

Nowhere did anyone say they didn't have the 'capability' to add a high res screen.
    has it occured to you that they were scrambling to built those glorious flop called IIIc and Prism while pooh-pooh ing color screen?

They were cought off guard and had to spin it somehow.

..and since when not running on AAA battery stops customer to pick up latest and greatest? Anybody sees any top selling PDA running on AAA anymore? not even Zire does that.

what you called trade off, is what the rest of the world called, lacking know how to be in the cutting edge.
    If you're calling not releasing PDAs that needed to get charged every hour (like the CE devices of the time) lack of know-how, then you havea strange definition! Creating that kind of junk is very easy.
    I keep forgetting that you really don't care about whether a device is useful... just specs That fits with the MS philosophy, aka the kitchen sink philosophy That explains why you think having color was essential in those days even though the available CE color devices were pathetic.

I will pick what you call "zen" over "kitchen sink" any day
  19. purpleX
    Is that like treo 180 battery performance and Tungsten famous "days" battery life? .mmm....

...even the 3600 turns out to have pretty good battery life compared to whatever Sony dishes out, including the n710 and the 66mHz models. It takes Palm 2 years to achieve what 3600 can do.

whatever you call "kitchen sink" today, will be implemented haphazardly by Palm soon enough.

color screen, multimedia, wireless, replaceable battery, file system, multi tasking, dual triple wireless, preipheral drivers layer .... etc.

'not ready' aka. 'who needs it' really means, we dont' know how to make it work. Never confuse not having a know how and actuall design decission.

I'll be the first one to laugh if OS 6.0 multi tasking implementation is so cruddy it will make the first version of Palm-sized/CE 2.0 appears like a supercharged mustang.

and yes Virginia, A620 has 12-14hrs continuous followed by h2210 5-7hrs, while.. uhm... the rest of Palm still stuck under 5hrs continuous. (well except that T|C with 3000mAh battery plus)
    You did a time warp on me.

My post was talking about "back then". You totally shifted to:

- A different time
    - Different types of devices (I was talking PDA-only devices).

The technology was simply not there to create a device that had good battery life then with a color screen, that's why Palm was killing CE then.

By the way, did you ever tell us what device(s) you actually use? Or do you just go around collecting specs?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast