Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Maybe I'm just blind, but I have searched for this answer and I can't seem to find it. Will the expansion slot on the 600 be able to accommodate a card that can do 802.11b? If so, can anyone give a an example or model number of a card like this? I have not been able to find one and this would be a major drawback for me.
    Last edited by cincy76; 08/08/2003 at 11:11 PM.
    There will be two companies offering SDIO wifi cards for Palm OS 5.x handhelds. One will be from Hagiwara and the other from Sandisk. Check out the links below:

http://www.hscjpn.co.jp/hscjpn/english/030328.html
    http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/sdwifi.asp

The Sandisk card will apparently work with both OS 4.1 and OS 5.x devices while the Hagiwara card will only work with OS 5.x devices. Also, Hagiwara is working on a OS 5.x BT SD card as well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info. I am trying right now to make a decision about what to do for my pda/cell/portable needs. I need to be able to do system administration from anywhere (almost) so the Treo seems to fit well, but I have been looking at the bluetooth phone and pda combo. Any thoughts? Is the speed from the sprint pcs network better than what I would get with a bt phone/pda combo?
    Originally posted by cincy76
    Is the speed from the sprint pcs network better than what I would get with a bt phone/pda combo?
    The bottleneck will not be the bleutooth connection which has a max transfer rate ~ 720 kbps, well above current max wireless data speeds. The differences in speed will be between 1xrtt and gprs which are is quite significant. Real world 1xrtt speeds are about 60-80 kbps while real world gprs is about 40 kbps. Also, b/c of the SE decision to leave the cdma market in NA, it has become increasingly unlikely that the T608 will ever be released in the states (at least IMO but who knows). Thus if you go with a BT+pda combo, you're only choices at this momemt are gsm/gprs BT enabled mobiles...

Also just as a side note, the Treo600 will itself work with future BT SDIO cards. Thus, you could conceivbly connect from your Treo600 via BT SD card to Sprint's 1xrtt network on another device like a pda. However, this would obviously defeat the whole point of getting a convergence device like the Treo in the first place...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions