1.    #1  
    I did a search, but can't find too much, if anything on this.

A recent article on Yahoo (I think) suggested that data in Smart Phones is in danger of being hacked by new software and suggested not storing important information in them. I have tons of info in SplashID and am now questioning whether I should continue to do so or not.

Is there anything in the 600 making it more secure or are there any programs that can make them so. I do have SplashID password protected but I guess that only protects me from someone in physical possession of my phone?

Is there really a need to be concerned at all?

Thanks.
    Last edited by SprintTreoUser; 08/08/2003 at 10:32 PM.
    As secure as the person that uses them.
    The Treo 600 should be as secure as any other Palm OS 5.1 device. That doesn't really mean that it's secure or not though. In the end, most anything can be hacked.

In general Palm OS 5 is far more secure than Palm OS 3.5, so your 600 will be more secure than your 180,270, or 300.
    If you use Splash ID, any other additional precautions (like erasing the information) seems silly to me. Unless you work for the NSA, I wouldn't worry about it, but that's just me.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    More than likely, you wouldn't be allowed to have this in an NSA facility and I would assume (probably incorrectly) that no NSA employee would be dumb enough to store sensitive or FOUO information on a pda... Just don't put anything on them that you don't want someone else to have.
  6.    #6  
    I'm not really that concerned for now, but I figured that the probability of being hacked will grow along with the popularity of these types of devices.

I assumed that since there are programs such as Zone Alarm to protect my computer, that perhaps something is needed for the Treos as well, unless sufficient protection were already built-in.
    For home computers, especially those on
    a persistent (DSL, cable) internet connection,
    firewalls such as ZoneAlarm are good
    ideas (although there are many solutions
    to firewalling - I use Linux and an external
    router/firewall). Some ISPs block ports and
    some don't.

For handhelds that network through wireless
    providers, I bet most incoming ports are
    blocked (and for palm devices, there should
    be no servers like telnetd or ftpd running by
    default). Therefore, it's less likely that