Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Enough with the Treo 600 is too big!?!?! I recently had the opportunity to check out a few Treo 600s again and they were tiny…I mean really small. It makes my 270 seem like a brick.

For the guy who keeps saying it needs to be narrower, you are wrong…and all I can say is reserve your opinion until you actually hold one. I would be shocked if after spending time examining one in person if you thought it was too big…it is perfectly small.

My personal preference is the darker gun metal Treo 600, and for whatever it is worth, Jeff Hawkins personally uses a GSM Treo 600 that is the darker gun metal color.

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    I agree...from the pics I've seen of the device, I don't think I would want it to be any narrower if it meant further disrupting the usability of the thumbboard. However, the Treo600 does seem rather thick, but that really doesn't bother me that much...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    JakeE

Have you been drinking Handpring's Kool Aid again? I told you to stay away from that stuff. Oh, and take that cheerleader suit off, it looks silly.

TheHandlessKing (who really really likes, nay, LOVES, and wants a treo 600 but is tired of incessent cheerleading)
    Latest moBlog shot:
    haha! Voicing your opinion doesn't constitute incessant cheerleading. The views and opinions expressed on this discussion forum, whether you agree with it or not, may help someone else in some way. I know it's helped answer a lot of MY questions!

I realize how funny it is that we are so obsessed with this little device that hasn't even come out yet, that we keep tuning into this forum freakshow... It's like a little support group. Well, call me a geek... I admit it! But it's just cause I know how much more efficient and organized the Treo 600 will help me to be.

Cheers and jeers... keep em' coming!

Jake, good to have you back! Where the hell have you been??

RayUSA
  5.    #5  
    RayUSA,

Where have I been, and why haven’t I said anything?

I had the opportunity to spend some time with Jeff Hawkins recently and talk shop with him about the future of the Treo and the future of Palm.

I have been deeply reflecting on the findings of my meeting with Jeff and I want to make certain make certain that before I share my findings that they are well thought out and accurate.

I can say that my meeting with Jeff Hawkins was profoundly enlightening.

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

6. purpleX
    Originally posted by JakeE
    []Enough with the Treo 600 is too big!?!?! I recently had the opportunity to check out a few Treo 600s again and they were tiny…I mean really small. It makes my 270 seem like a brick.
    ehrm it is a brick. It's bigger than XDA when in use.

For the guy who keeps saying it needs to be narrower, you are wrong…and all I can say is reserve your opinion until you actually hold one. I would be shocked if after spending time examining one in person if you thought it was too big…it is perfectly small.

My personal preference is the darker gun metal Treo 600, and for whatever it is worth, Jeff Hawkins personally uses a GSM Treo 600 that is the darker gun metal color.

Jake ]
    you are not starting to dress like Jeff too are you? What is Jeff favorite drink? But if you ask me, it's all in the way he walk, you got to copy the way he walks.
  7.    #7  
    Purple X,

Jeff drinks Diet Coke. I drink regular Coke.

As far as copying the way Jeff dresses, I don’t see that happening…especially since I am a clothing designer.

As far as thinking the way Jeff does, I would say we definitely are not on the same track.

As far as walking, I did not notice.

Purple X, you must have really missed me. I disappear for weeks and you immediately comment?

Jake

8. purpleX
    Hell ya.

PS. Less is a bore
    -Robert Venturi
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Originally posted by JakeE
    Jeff Hawkins personally uses a GSM Treo 600 that is the darker gun metal color.
    Is Jeff's just a custom one then? I thought the CDMA Treo was going to be the gun metal color...
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
  10.    #10  
    DSDxp

You are correct about the color scheme but that is only for the US market. I do not believe Jeff's is custom.

I believe the GSM phones for Europe that Handspring is making for the Orange Network have the darker gun metal (black) look.

I noticed that Jeff Hawkins personal Treo 600 which was the darker gun metal color had an Orange Network Logo on it.

I was thinking about getting an Orange network GSM phone myself because I am on the GSM network and I prefer the darker Treo 600 over the silver one.

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 08/09/2003 at 01:10 AM.

It's harder to tell from the still pictures, but I've looked at the CNet/ZDNet video probably half a dozen times, and I have to agree with Jake. You see Greg Shirai (of Handspring) and the interviewer holding and handling the T600 from many angles; and it's easier to gauge its size relative to the hand. It appears roughly the same width as my old Qualcomm QCP-2760, but slightly shorter in thickness and height. I loved the form factor of that phone, and if the 600 is any smaller, then I have no complaints.
    Its really, really interesting that no one who's actually held a 600 has written anything negative about the size.

I wasn't able to hold one for very long, but I did have one in my hand a few weeks ago.

Jake is right.

The size is perfect.

I wouldn't want it to be any smaller. The 600 was clearly designed for one handed text entry. The size makes this doable.

It is not a brick. Its just like all of the Nokia "candy bars" that are so popular with so many people. Compared to the 300, its much, much narrower.

Thanks for sharing all of your experiences w/the 600, Jake. We sure aren't getting this stuff from Handspring's press releases. And, the media reviews are pretty cursory compared with your musings.
    Last edited by Stickman; 08/09/2003 at 02:06 AM.
    how would one get a orange version? is the only way travel or is there a site like expansys that will have it? i too like the darker version....
    Ben
    Originally posted by ben klieger
    how would one get a orange version? is the only way travel or is there a site like expansys that will have it? i too like the darker version....
    I would think one would have to pay a hefty price for a no-contract phone from Orange in Europe. Color would have to be worth a few hundred dollars to you to justify buying a brand new, high-tech, no-contract phone in Europe.
    if there was a more cost effective way to get it, i would pay alittle more, but certainly not at a premium! in hearing the earlier post i thought there was a loop hole i was unaware of.
    Ben
    please tell us about your conversation w/ Jeff. thanks any info is appreciated.
    Yes Jake,

did the subject of release date come up in your talk?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  18.    #18  
    Craigdts:

I will be posting a detailed review of my meeting with Jeff Hawkins in the not so distant future.

It appears in many ways that to date I am the president of Jeff Hawkins fan club and I want to make certain that I am careful when I post a review of my findings.

I can share with you the fact that I uncovered many interesting insights that I am certain you will enjoy hearing about. In many ways my meeting with Jeff Hawkins was kind of like the Wizard of Oz…You could call it the Wizard of Palm.

I am not holding back, I just want to make certain that before I express my feelings that I put a great deal of thought into it. I also want to confer with Jeff before I write my review to make certain that I understood everything he said.

I can share with you up front that my meeting with Jeff in no way, shape or form what I expected. In many ways it was positively shocking.

I hope you understand.

Jake

19. purpleX
    We are definitely not in Kansas anymore. Is he going to run for California Governor?

I bet with you as the campaign manager he could win too.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by JakeE
    [B]Craigdts:

I will be posting a detailed review of my meeting with Jeff Hawkins in the not so distant future.

jake-

i am very anxious to hear from jeff, i am assuming that at this point he has gotten to hear much of the buzz about the "600". his intial press release was without feedback, there is a ground swell now. i just wonder how a self described "clothing designer" becomes the most ardent unofficial spokeman? in any event i for one can' t wait to read the next installment!
    Ben
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast