Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Interesting.

Clearly put up by confused people. They talk about it being a follow-up to the Treo 300 (Sprint and CDMA) then label it as unlocked.
    Not to mention that although the specs toward the bottom show 4-6 hours of talk time, at the top is only says 180 minutes (3 hours). Handspring claims the CDMA model should get about 5 hours and GSM will get 6. So whether they're talking about GSM or CDMA (who knows), the number is off. Besides, $800 is WAY too much for a Treo 600, even though it's cheaper than 900 Euros.
    Too rich for my blood..
    -- Go Illini!
    I'll wait until it actually comes out and get it for $400-$500 minus Handspring's discount...
    Sadly, I'd pay $800 if I could get one on Monday. I'm often surprised that companies that have huge early distribution problems don't do that more explicitly. Price it at whatever the real price is, then have a pre-sales period where you pay $100 or so for early access by a couple of weeks. The early access has value to users, why shouldn't Handspring get some of that?

There's a segment of users (corporate, industry types, etc...) who are price insensitive. Milk em! It's not like most users would suffer - just removes the lottery-like chances of getting one in the early going.

Personally, I won't pay more than I have to, but if it's the right device I can have the company pay...
    Originally posted by dulinor
    Sadly, I'd pay $800 if I could get one on Monday. I'm often surprised that companies that have huge early distribution problems don't do that more explicitly. Price it at whatever the real price is, then have a pre-sales period where you pay $100 or so for early access by a couple of weeks. The early access has value to users, why shouldn't Handspring get some of that?

There's a segment of users (corporate, industry types, etc...) who are price insensitive. Milk em! It's not like most users would suffer - just removes the lottery-like chances of getting one in the early going.

Personally, I won't pay more than I have to, but if it's the right device I can have the company pay...
    I can see people paying an extra $300 to get it now, I really can. But to pre-order it so they still have to wait until October? Come on now. I don't have the money to spend that much on it, but even if I did, I wouldn't blow that much just to pre-order it.
    Yeah agreed, premium for early delivery, not for early waiting list. Esp when companies with pre-orders are notorious for having people still on the pre-order while product rots in retail shelves...
    Originally posted by dulinor

There's a segment of users (corporate, industry types, etc...) who are price insensitive.
    They may be, but corporations are notoriously slow at rolling out new technology so I don't think that's particularly relevant here.
    For wide use, I'd agree - but those of us with the job of evaluating new technology for use in the company can buy 1-2 units of nearly anything to throw in a lab. Since compatibility reports take a long time, might as well start that early.

At my company, I'd outfit our wireless development team and/or interested senior execs day one. It's a small market, but hey, supply usually starts very constrained as well. Might as well extract some extra cash from people. Not that Handspring or Palm would do this - bad press could result and the amounts are probably not significant. Heck - Credit Card price protection features probably ruin it as well.

Wide deployment/support from an IT group is slow everywhere I'm sure.
    in the lab in the park were ever, the offer being discussed is rediculous. if your goal is to get the phone as early as possible Handspring will most likely offer the phone to those the first day available and at least a couple of hundred $ less. the pre order at $799 is an effort to grab those excitables who aren't thinking clearly. if you want to be the first to place an order by all means. if you want to be the first to receive one at a few hundred $ less I'd wait.
    Are all of you assuming this $800 price is over the MSRP or have you heard definitively what the retail cost of the 600 will actually be?

With the buzz surrounding the 600, my guess would be at least $599-$650, on par with Pocket-PC phones. Even the new Samsung i500 phone, which of course has a lot less features than the 600, is retailing for $599 (ouch).
    Originally posted by bbdwebz
    Are all of you assuming this $800 price is over the MSRP or have you heard definitively what the retail cost of the 600 will actually be?

With the buzz surrounding the 600, my guess would be at least $599-$650, on par with Pocket-PC phones. Even the new Samsung i500 phone, which of course has a lot less features than the 600, is retailing for $599 (ouch).
    Hawkins was quoted that he expects the Treo 600 to retail for $400-$500 before any carrier subsidies or discounts.
    FYI it wasn't Hawkins that was quoted as saying this; it was Greg Shirai, who I believe is the director of product marketing.

Edit: fixed with Shirai's correct job.
    Originally posted by jhoff80
    FYI it wasn't Hawkins that was quoted as saying this; it was Greg Shirai, who I believe is the director of product marketing.

Edit: fixed with Shirai's correct job.
    Oops, thanks for the correction. At least I knew it was from someone at Handspring.
    I'm sorry but anyone who thinks the Treo 600 is going to be $400 - $500 BEFORE carrier discounts is doing very serious drugs.

I've watched that ZDNet video many times already. I know what was said. The interviewer was pressing for price, saying he knows that Handspring can't speak for carrier pricing. Then he said what price without discounts. The Handspring guy said $400 - $500 but I guarantee you he was thinking of pricing with discounts. Even if he wasn't, there is no way he was quoting the price without a carrier discount. I'm in product marketing and you would never quote your highest price in an interview like this. Anyone in product marketing would know this.

The Treo 270 was $699 with no discounts from Handspring when it was introduced. As of this minute, it's still $699 on Handspring's website with no discount. Assuming they still sell it (which they have said they will), I think it's almost certain that the non-discounted price at introduction will be at least $799.
    Just a guess, but this might be one of those phone shops that specializes in importing hard-to-get phones from Europe. If Handspring does release the GSM 600 only to Orange initially and delays NA launch, you might just have to fork up $800 to get an unlocked GSM version capable of working with ATT/TMobile/Cingular.
    at $799 plus, the treo 600 will be a product roll out bust. the treo 600 is nice but 160 x 160 screen, no voice recorder, etc. the 600 is not the panacea of handhelds. it still has some draw backs. also, i think the reason for the 160 x 160 screen is to keep the price down.

the hand set market is way too competitive for a $799 plus device, as well, a large part of the success in this handset market is in gaining current market share. i seriously doubt at $799 that will happen. consumers are smart. for one, $799 is an imediate turn off for many, and secondly, with the tech. enhancements coming in spades from multiple manufactures the shelf life for these devices is short. $799 plus won't go! i would say $699 absolute tops and would bet on $599 (before discounts), but then greater mistakes have been made by Palm and Handspring then a $799 plus device roll out with some average or missing features. are you listening Palm/ Handspring?
    Last edited by JTREOB; 08/10/2003 at 11:55 AM.
    there is a German site that tracks the cheapest prices and currently they list the treo 600 as being EUR 500. I asked them why it's so cheap compared to what treostore.com charges (EUR 899). They said it's the manufacture's price for the treo 600 but didn't tell me from whom they got this information.

Although I beleive they're wrong I'm hoping that it might still be true...

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    My guess for initial prices:

$799 without a contract
    $499 with contract
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast